How much do you allocate to international equity?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Blueberry2009

How much do you allocate to international equity?

Post by Blueberry2009 »

Hi all. What percentage of your stock portfolio is allocated to international? Just trying to get different opinions to decide what I want mine to be. I noticed that the different target date funds vary. I only have two choices in my 401k. An emerging markets fund and an international growth. Not sure how much to allocate to either. Right now I'm only in the growth at 30% of my equity. Equity is 70% of my AA so about 21% of my total AA is in this one international equity mutual fund which is Europacific growth. Thanks for your opinions!
Dude2

Re: How much do you allocate to international equity?

Post by Dude2 »

I started working for a megacorp about 23 years ago, and only this year did they start to offer a low cost total international index fund. Up to that point it was some variety of actively managed international with high expense ratio. It motivated me to get my international elsewhere, such as a taxable account or a Roth. I'm a US investor. I target somewhere between 20 to 40 % (of stock) to international for diversification purposes.

In general I like to wrap up these percentages into a fund of funds where I don't have to deal with it. If various Target Retirement or similar funds put it at 40%, I would just accept it. Currently I have those funds in tax-deferred accounts, and I hold Total Stock Market in taxable. This "waters-down" my international percentage.
Henceforth I’ll bear Affliction till it do cry out itself, “Enough, enough,” and die.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

About 20% of my equities is International, equally split between Emerging Markets and Small Cap.

Cheers
Stef

Post by Stef »

Do you know that there are more threads about this topic on Bogleheads than the total amount of international stocks that you can invest in?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Blueberry2009 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 am Hi all. What percentage of your stock portfolio is allocated to international? Just trying to get different opinions to decide what I want mine to be.
A simple search of bogleheads would show you hundreds of threads on this topic with thousands of opinions. You want still more opinions?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

1) It would help if you named the funds.

2) I personally have 20% of my stock allocation invested internationally in the Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index Fund. That's sort of a random number. I don't personally think it matters very much, but I think staying the course matters a lot, so my "reasoning" is "it's what I picked and it's not crazy so I'm going to stick with it." Do not take 20% as a model or a recommendation, it's just the answer to your question.

3) Pick something you can stick with, because there will always be times when it looks as if you made the "wrong" choice and I really believe that staying the course is important. You do not want to go against the grain and do something that feels really uncomfortable. It has to feel like your own decision, not something you did because "they said it would..."

4) If the large growth fund includes both developed and emerging markets, which you should be able to find out quickly by going to the fund company's web page for the fund (or Morningstar or other places), that would be a fairly mainstream plain-vanilla choice. Emerging markets are riskier. When they've done well they've done better than developed markets, when they've done poorly they've done worse. If by any wild chance the fund is FDIVX, the Fidelity Diversified International Fund, the international stocks in it (it's 8.39% US!) are 13% emerging markets, which IMHO means "yes, it includes emerging markets." Source, and I had to calculate 11.69% / 86.31% because it's only 86.31% international (interesting, that).

5) This is an intensely debated topic in the forum and it never gets resolved. One reason why it never gets resolved is that stocks are stocks, the world is globalized, and the past behavior of international stocks hasn't been hugely different from US stocks. However, it has been different and the results you get depend heavily on the specific time period you look at. The last decade has not been good for international stocks so you have the usual debate between those who say "it's been bad" and those who say "because it's been bad, they are cheap and due for a good spell."

6) Experts are all over the map. To mention a few points of view:

0%: Warren Buffett IMHO has never said anything clear, but when he seems to be giving advice to "ordinary" investors he simply never mentions anything but "an S&P 500 index fund," and has made various statements like “Never, ever bet against America” (without saying in so many words whether buying international stocks would be betting against America.

<20%: John C. Bogle has never said not to invest in international stocks, but he has said that investors don't "need" them and that if you do, you should not exceed 20%.

16% increasing over the years to 50%: in editions of A Random Walk Down Wall Street, Burton Malkiel's suggested international allocations have gradually increased from 16% (in 1990) up to total global capitalization (about 50%) in recent editions.

20% increasing over the years to 40%: from about 2007 to the present, Vanguard's own allocations in its all-in-one LifeStrategy and Target Retirement funds.

20% to 50%: Vanguard has a paper entitled International Equity: Considerations and Recommendations and you really should read it, but here is it's summary. Please notice just how vague and loosey-goosey it is:
  • International stocks should be considered for inclusion in a domestic portfolio.
  • Empirical and practical issues suggest a starting allocation to international stocks of 20%, with an upper limit based on the proportion of the global market they represent.
  • The exact allocation to international equities will depend on the investor’s view regarding the short- and long-term tradeoffs.
7) I haven't mentioned "total world" funds, which invest according to the percentage of money global investors have invested in stocks of every country, because you didn't say you had one available. They exist, though. They would be roughly 50/50 US/international, varying as the US stock market rises and falls relative to the rest of the world. They are the purest way to avoid any preference for the US. Vanguard's is the Vanguard Total World Stock Index mutual fund and ETF, (VTWAX, VT) and another is iShares URTH. They have not been terribly popular. Investors have only put $2.87 billion into VTWAX, $1 billion into URTH, compared with (e.g.) $400 billion to the Vanguard International Stock Index Fund, or $14 billion into the Fidelity Diversified International fund.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

as little as possible

i have a Target Date fund that has the percentage in it. beyond that it's not a whole lot. maybe a couple percentage points.

Int'l has been a boat anchor for a long time.

(all the usual disclaimers about past performance / future performance etc, etc)
remember Enron?? I do
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

30%.

If I had poor 401k choices for international, I would put international in my Roth IRA.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I have 0% in international with about 25 years to go to retirement

Don't like what I see outside the U.S.

Admittedly though, If I was retiring tomorrow I would have an allocation to international
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

I have faith that in the long run equity will increase and that international equity will grow faster than US equity. In the long run. Keynes said it best. 34 years to go!

30% total. 100% of Roth holdings.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

I invest in the world at market cap rates.. (example: VT)
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Blueberry2009 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 am I only have two choices in my 401k. An emerging markets fund and an international growth. Not sure how much to allocate to either. Right now I'm only in the growth at 30% of my equity. Equity is 70% of my AA so about 21% of my total AA is in this one international equity mutual fund which is Europacific growth. Thanks for your opinions!
Somewhere between 20 and 40% is the general consensus. I tend towards the lower end at 22%. I think you are right to more heavily weight developed markets over EM, but I would include them, maybe at around 20% of your International allocation. EM countries (including China) account for 40% of global economic output, but US and foreign companies do business there, so you have some EM exposure even if you don't invest directly in those countries stocks.
Money_Badger

Post by Money_Badger »

50 years old. I have a large percentage in Vanguard Target 2035, which has 30% in International (VGTSX). I don't like it that high so I water it down by having allocations in other US Indexes.

I really should just sell the Target fund and own the underlying funds. Regardless, after I add in my employer 401K (25% of total international) and everything else, I end up at 25% of equities and 20% of portfolio, which is about where I would like to be.

For what it's worth, my bond allocation is 18%.
Crisium

Post by Crisium »

Begrudgingly, 1/3 (33.33%) of my equities are international.

Several things went into this consideration.

I am more confident in US over International, so the 2:1 ratio was satisfying. For every dollar in international that makes me nervous, I have two dollars in domestic that buoy my confidence.

I am underweighting international, but not excessively so if the US becomes 1980s Japan, I will have a good portion of international to keep me afloat. But actually international keeps falling and is now around 42% of the World, so my 1/3 isn't even that much of a underweight anymore.

There was a study recommending 25% Domestic, 75% Total World (including Domestic) for everyone of every country to follow. The healthy home bias, as it were. I am close to that, as that would be approximately 31-32% International right now.

Vanguard Target Funds are 40% International. So are others, like Wells Fargo. Almost every target date fund is between 30-40%. In the last few years, even the TSP (used my military and gov't) has risen to 35% International for their L Funds. So I'm comparable to Target Funds and probably slightly under the average.

But some things give me pause. Recency bias of course. Also Mr. Bogle's 20% max recommendation. And Vanguard's own study showed that just 20% Int still had the vast majority of diversity benefits, and that there was really no need to go over 30% as no appreciable diversification was gained (I consider Vanguard switching to 40% after that study to actually be a betrayal of their own data - something else made this switch not numbers). But for now I will hold the course. If Target Date funds actually start shifting more to the US though, I will take that as a sign to do the same.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

Equities are split 60% US/40% ex-US

Overall portfolio is 20% bonds, 70% stocks, 10% other (REIT & commodities)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

30% of my stocks are in Total international funds.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

~1%

Have to get a good disbursement for the scatter plot.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
midareff

Post by midareff »

NONE per Google
• In 2018, the percentage of S&P 500 sales from foreign countries decreased, after slightly increasing last year, and declining the prior two years. The overall rate for 2018 was 42.90%, down from 2017’s 43.62% and 2016’s 43.16%. The recent high mark was 2014’s 47.82%, and the recent low mark was 2003’s 41.84%. S&P 500 foreign sales represent products and services produced and sold outside of the U.S.

• Sales in Asia slightly declined, while technically remaining the highest of any region, with the use of six-digit precision. Asia accounted for 8.24% of all S&P 500 sales, down from 8.26% in 2017 and 8.46% in 2016, but up from 2015’s 6.77% and 2014’s 7.80%.

• European sales posted their fifth consecutive year of gains, at just a tick lower than Asia. For 2018, European sales increased to 8.24% of all sales, up from 2017’s 8.14%, 2016’s 8.13%, 2015’s 7.79%, and 7.46% in 2014. The UK (which is part of European sales) increased to 1.49% in 2018 from 2017’s 1.12% and 2016’s 1.10%.

• Japanese sales again decreased in 2018, to 1.14% from 2017’s 1.51% and 2016’s 1.52%. African sales inched down as well, to 3.82% from 2017’s 3.90% and 2016’s 3.97%. Sales in Canada declined to 1.98% from 2017’s 2.16% and 2016’s 2.67%.

• Information Technology continued to have the most foreign exposure of any sector, increasing to 58.19% in 2018 from 56.85% in 2017 and 57.15% in 2016. Energy, which was the sector leader in 2016, with 58.88%, declined to 51.28% in 2018 from 54.06% in 2017.

• Pro forma tabulations for Communication Services (formerly Telecommunication Services) showed that 44.74% of sales were foreign.

• Given the ongoing debate and legislative actions on sales, tariffs, and jobs, the level of specific data disclosed by companies continues to be disappointing."

To see for yourself https://us.spindices.com/indexology/dji ... obal-sales

I see the S&P 500 and by association the Total Stock Market's sales reflecting market weight of sales to international consumers so by definaition I see us tied at the hit to international health, wealth and prosperity already. I see no need to sacrifice portfolio performance for the banner of diversification. Other's opinions vary greatly.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Blueberry2009 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 am Hi all. What percentage of your stock portfolio is allocated to international? Just trying to get different opinions to decide what I want mine to be. I noticed that the different target date funds vary. I only have two choices in my 401k. An emerging markets fund and an international growth. Not sure how much to allocate to either. Right now I'm only in the growth at 30% of my equity. Equity is 70% of my AA so about 21% of my total AA is in this one international equity mutual fund which is Europacific growth. Thanks for your opinions!
Blueberry2009:

My preferred Three-Fund Portfolio recommends 20% of equity in international stocks. You can read "why" here:

How Much International Stocks? A Suggestion

"21% in the Europacific growth funds should be about right.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Limit international holding to no more than one-fifth of the equity portfolio."
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

25% bond
25% international
50% us

k.i.s.s. :mrgreen:
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

International is 15% of equity in a 55/45 portfolio, 1 year to regular retirement. Not sure how actionable this is unless you are trying to conduct a consensus survey of forum members.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

Around 50% (mix of developed and EM) as they seem to have better valuations right now. New money going into US to get it up to 60ish %. Close to market cap is my goal.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

Hi OP,

Our current international exposure is < 10% of all equity. I think we will eventually increase it to about 20%, mostly through new contributions. But right now my wife and I are trying to decide what level of international equity makes sense to us - and what we can stick with. I highly recommend the post by Nisiprius because it contains some seasoned advice on how to think about the issue.

My last thought: anything between 10 and 50% is rationally defensible, though a homeward bias has been very, very good for US investors in recent years.
3funder

Post by 3funder »

I allocate 50% of equities.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

0% in foreign stock markets. Companies on the US total stock index are international-enough for me, and I avoid the issues related to investing in foreign stock markets. Even if I wanted to invest in foreign stock markets, I wouldn't do it using an ex-US index fund.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Blueberry2009 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 am Hi all. What percentage of your stock portfolio is allocated to international?
0%

Same as bonds
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Blueberry2009 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 am Hi all. What percentage of your stock portfolio is allocated to international? Just trying to get different opinions to decide what I want mine to be. I noticed that the different target date funds vary. I only have two choices in my 401k. An emerging markets fund and an international growth. Not sure how much to allocate to either. Right now I'm only in the growth at 30% of my equity. Equity is 70% of my AA so about 21% of my total AA is in this one international equity mutual fund which is Europacific growth. Thanks for your opinions!
20% is about right. 20%-30%. Based on Vanguard's empirical work on max return/ min volatility portfolios, for a US investor 20-40% gives about the best tradeoff (ie it is a very shallow bowl and you can be anywhere on that spectrum). With the caveat that international has underperformed so *any* international equity exposure has cost you, particularly in the last 10 years. A "full" weighting in international, for reference, tracking world market caps (free floating ie that investors actually can invest in) is about 40-45% -- so you are aiming well off "market" weights.

The optimal split between developed and Emerging markets is about 80:20. So if 20% within your equity portfolio, 16 developed non US 4 emerging markets.

However

- we don't know the funds you have available. If the expense ratios are high enough vs your US index alternatives, it's not worth doing
- there's not a lot of agreement about it, here.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

40% split equally between Developed Market Index and Emerging Market Index.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

At one time we had 40% of stocks allocated to international and 30% of bonds allocated to international to align with Vanguard’s research and recommendations.

I think anything between 20% up to market weight is fine if the investor desires and can stay with that for the long term.

International stocks and bonds, while certainly challenging the past decade may have the time in the sun again at some point.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Not sure I would want 30% of my stocks in a European fund. In that example I would probably select a low cost Total Stock Market or S&P 500 fund.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Post by 1789 »

Answer to your question : zero
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Steadfast

Post by Steadfast »

About 43% - because that is the global market cap weight. We use Vanguard Total World Stock Index Fund which automagically adjusts U.S./Int'l holdings in accordance with the market. We never have to do anything except stay the course.
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
asif408

Post by asif408 »

I'm 85% international, but I'm certainly an outlier and would suggest you make up your own mind based on your emotional makeup. I think we'd need to know how much it bothers you that international has lagged US stocks for the last decade+ before making a % recommendation.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

10% of my stocks are in international (VTSNX). I only started investing in international this year. I am planning to eventually reach 20% international. I will stop there.
aruba joe

Post by aruba joe »

1789 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:34 pm Answer to your question : zero
Me too
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You're really not asking the right question. You can't extrapolate from what people do when they have unlimited fund choices to what they might do with just one or two as in your situation. And if you read the thousands of recent threads here on international, surely you'll realize that common opinions given no fund selection constraints range from 0% to about 50%. I'm guessing Bogleheads are getting somewhat burned out answering the same old question over and over, so you won't get as representative replies to your question as if it wasn't the same question people had replied to dozens of times in the last week.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I hold Intl at 20-25% of equities.
dewey

Post by dewey »

I have a 50/50 (equities/bonds) portfolio. On the equity side I keep 25-30% in Vanguard Total International.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Maybe 25ish% I think.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

John Bogle: “None”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P54trh0Rre8 (Interview with John Bogle)
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

20%. Not a big fan of int'l, but hedging my bets.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

30% in my Roth IRA
40% (of equity, not overall) in my 457b (target date retirement 2040 fund).
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

35% all in small-value (25% FNDC, 10% IVAL).
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

If you look at the top ten target dated funds by assets under management, 36% International is the consensus. I would recommend that.Hard to argue with Vanguard, Fidelity, Swaub, Capital Group, T Rowe, Blackrock, JP Morgan, and several others.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

As an American living in the United States, my international equity (and bond) allocation is 0.00%.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Like previously mentioned, seems that 20-40% is the general consensus and I'm also at the lower end of that range.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

I have 10% in Vanguard Developed-VTMGX and 10% in Vanguard Emerging-VEMAX.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I think I have about 10% in the TSP I Fund.
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

23% of stocks
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

0%. I agree with Bogle, it is not necessary.