Choosing MFs in Rollover IRA to Roth Convert over Multiple Years

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
RetiredCSProf

Choosing MFs in Rollover IRA to Roth Convert over Multiple Years

Post by RetiredCSProf »

I have a TRowe rollover IRA mutual fund account (not a brokerage account) that I have started converting into Roth at TRowe. Because these are MF accounts, I can make partial conversions in dollars (partial shares). I am not required to convert "in kind." The only limitation is to hold a minimum of $1000 in each MF. I plan to continue conversions over several years; amounts depend on the tax impact each year.

Should I consider each's fund's past return in choosing which MFs to convert (in any given year)? When I Roth convert "in kind," (in my Fido brokerage account) I think about converting the most shares that I can for a fixed amount of money, so I want to convert when the price is "low," and with the expectation for growth. OTOH, in TRowe, I am converting dollars, so maybe it's just the overall return and the AA of my portfolio that matters. Should I look at the Roth conversion as an opportunity to rebalance the AA in my rollover IRA?

For example, suppose that I currently hold over $40K each in Funds A, B, and C in my rollover IRA, and that Fund A is up 25% YTD, Fund C is up 7%, but Fund B is "underwater." Suppose that I am overweight in Fund C.

Suppose my goal this year is to convert the following into my TRowe Roth IRA:
* $28K into Fund A (large & mid-cap domestic equity) and
* $12K into Fund B (foreign equity).
and I do not currently want to add Fund C to the Roth IRA.

Which of the following makes more sense? Is there no difference?

1) convert from Funds A and B "in kind"
2) convert all $40K from Fund A; splitting it into Funds A and B in the Roth IRA
3) convert all $40K from Fund B; splitting it into Funds A and B in the Roth IRA
4) convert all $40K from Fund C into Funds A and B in the Roth IRA
Duckie

Re: Choosing MFs in Rollover IRA to Roth Convert over Multiple Years

Post by Duckie »

RetiredCSProf wrote:For example, suppose that I currently hold over $40K each in Funds A, B, and C in my rollover IRA, and that Fund A is up 25% YTD, Fund C is up 7%, but Fund B is "underwater."
Is that $40K in each fund before the 25% gain or after?
Suppose that I am overweight in Fund C.
It's an IRA, you can swap things around whenever you want.
Which of the following makes more sense? Is there no difference?

1) convert from Funds A and B "in kind"
2) convert all $40K from Fund A; splitting it into Funds A and B in the Roth IRA
3) convert all $40K from Fund B; splitting it into Funds A and B in the Roth IRA
4) convert all $40K from Fund C into Funds A and B in the Roth IRA
I would choose 2 and convert from Fund A. Take advantage of that growth before it drops.
Topic Author
RetiredCSProf

Re: Choosing MFs in Rollover IRA to Roth Convert over Multiple Years

Post by RetiredCSProf »

Yes, Option 2 probably makes the most sense for me, but better to wait for the fund to drop before the Roth conversion.

I want to avoid effectively "selling" a fund that has lost value (Fund B) to purchase a fund that has significant gain (Fund A). OTOH, I don't want to convert into Roth a fund that I expect to drop soon.