Best paid software for tracking investments?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
NS_Bane

Best paid software for tracking investments?

Post by NS_Bane »

I'd like to use software to track my investments. I know Personal Capital is really popular right now, but I really don't like the idea of "free" services in general.

Right now I'm using Quicken, but I find it underwhelming. Does anyone have any recommendations? I do like how Personal Capital is able to aggregate all of your investments and determine how much overall is invested in bonds, international, etc...

I use my iPad a lot, but Quicken is really tied to the desktop. There is an "online" version and an app, but they are really crippled compared to the desktop version.

Thanks!
midareff

Re: Best paid software for tracking investments?

Post by midareff »

Morningstar has a free portfolio tracker which can be customized with as much data as you want to see, even more using multiple Views. It is also downloadable in .xls format so you could import the data and update excel sheets with any further computations, charts and graphs you might want displayed...... and it's all free @ Morningstar. If you can navigate some in excel you can get almost anything imaginable out of the combination.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

What are you looking for in investment tracking features? Do you want the same software to also track spending? Do you budget?

Other software is YNAB, MoneyDance, and Banktivity (latter is designed for Mac ecosystem).

I've looked into all the software products and what works best for me for investment tracking is the brokerage website plus a custom spreadsheet for rebalancing. I have not found any software that rebalances the way I want to across the 11 investing accounts we have (taxable, IRA, Roth IRA, 401K, inherited IRA, individual, Joint). We don't have 529s or HSAs. I do have to do some manual data entry but I have it down to about 5 minutes maybe six times per year.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

I use RightCapital but the subscription cost is staggering if you are the only user of your subscription since its professional software.
EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy »

I have to keep it simple - I'd get overwhelmed with sophisticated investment tracking software, and it might wind up on the shelf, i.e. learning curve might be too high for me. I don't have a need to track spending and budgeting.

I use the brokerage company website for investment tracking and this spreadsheet for rebalancing. Used it several years and its easy, automatic, and gives good information. Its a Google Sheets spreadsheet.

https://www.doughroller.net/investing/a ... adsheet/

Stay safe - Evelyn
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Vanguard website is enough, if you have vanguard. It tracks everything, including fidelity , banks, etc. It also compiles ALL accounts to break down into domestic/intl stocks, etc.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

NS_Bane wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am I'd like to use software to track my investments. I know Personal Capital is really popular right now, but I really don't like the idea of "free" services in general.

Right now I'm using Quicken, but I find it underwhelming. Does anyone have any recommendations? I do like how Personal Capital is able to aggregate all of your investments and determine how much overall is invested in bonds, international, etc...

I use my iPad a lot, but Quicken is really tied to the desktop. There is an "online" version and an app, but they are really crippled compared to the desktop version.

Thanks!
What do you find underwhelming about Quicken? I like it a lot, but agreed, it’s tied to the desktop. I’m wondering and hoping that once the new “Apple Silicon” devices are available, they will port Q for Mac to the new platform, then it’s just a small step to it running natively on the iPad.

Could be a long way off though.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Underwhelming?
Personally we wouldn't have retired early if I had not used,
and continue using Quicken since 1993
Monitoring Investments ,calculations,etc.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

NS_Bane wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am Does anyone have any recommendations?
I *really* like eMoney Advisor. It's only offered through advisors. You can sign up with Plan Vision for $149/year for the first year and $8/mo after that and get eMoney Advisor.

https://emoneyadvisor.com/

https://planvisionmn.com/
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:01 pm
NS_Bane wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am Does anyone have any recommendations?
I *really* like eMoney Advisor. It's only offered through advisors. You can sign up with Plan Vision for $149/year for the first year and $8/mo after that and get eMoney Advisor.

https://emoneyadvisor.com/

https://planvisionmn.com/
I believe Fidelity FullView is based on eMoney - not exactly sure of differences in features...
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

Explorer wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm I believe Fidelity FullView is based on eMoney - not exactly sure of differences in features...
You're right! I did not know this! It looks like Fidelity's FullView lacks the Goals feature; I wonder if they can add it?
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein