Best brokerage for PSLDX?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
CJF

Best brokerage for PSLDX?

Post by CJF »

Hello all!

I've decided to make a little plunge into some play money, and the fund picked will be PSLDX. So far in my research it appears Charles Schwab has the overall best entry point for that fund - 1k in an IRA to start. I know others have this fund here, and I just wanted to make sure I was making the best choice for this avenue.

Appreciate it, guys!
retired@50

Re: Best brokerage for PSLDX?

Post by retired@50 »

CJF wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 pm Hello all!

I've decided to make a little plunge into some play money, and the fund picked will be PSLDX. So far in my research it appears Charles Schwab has the overall best entry point for that fund - 1k in an IRA to start. I know others have this fund here, and I just wanted to make sure I was making the best choice for this avenue.

Appreciate it, guys!
Based on my read of the Yahoo finance page for this fund PIMCO StocksPLUS Long Duration Fund Institutional Class (PSLDX) it appears the minimum initial investment is $1,000,000.

Personally, the 1.11% expense ratio would turn me off, but if you can buy in for as little as $1,000 I wish you good luck.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
index245

Post by index245 »

You can buy on Vanguard with a minimum of 25k. I think there are lower minimums elsewhere.

I bought it and then bailed. Decided that my mortgage was enough leverage. Anyhow, it has been an amazing fund the past decade.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Welcome onboard the PSLDX train! It is my core US equity holding.

I use Ally but I believe the cheapest place to hold it is FirsTrade, no commission at all.
corp_sharecropper

Post by corp_sharecropper »

I have some in my Roth IRA at TD Ameritrade. $49.99 fee for the purchase but no real prohibitive minimum investment (I plunked this year's $6k contribution plus another $2.5k into it at once). Dividend reinvestment is commission/fee free. I don't get all cranky pants about the fee like some do around here over a few basis points. That said, I would absolutely never do something like DCA in smaller sums of money or hold it in a taxable account. PSLDX should absolutely be held in a tax advantages account and, at least in my mind, with dividend reinvestment turned ON.
Topic Author
CJF

Post by CJF »

Appreciate the replys all!
Tingting1013 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 pm I use Ally but I believe the cheapest place to hold it is FirsTrade, no commission at all.
Off hand, do you know the minimum for Ally and FirsTrade? I saw somewhere someone said FirsTrade was $500 minimum. Just wanting to confirm without having to sign up. Thanks!
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I believe E-Trade has no minimum, but does charge a $19.95 fee per transaction.
cumulus

Post by cumulus »

Note that there is a $49.99 transaction fee at Schwab (but reinvestment and selling shares don’t trigger that fee). I’m also seeing that the total “ER” has fallen to 1.01% now.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

cumulus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:26 pm I’m also seeing that the total “ER” has fallen to 1.01% now.
Due to borrowing costs going down, not PIMCO feeling generous
cumulus

Post by cumulus »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 pm
cumulus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:26 pm I’m also seeing that the total “ER” has fallen to 1.01% now.
Due to borrowing costs going down, not PIMCO feeling generous

Yep. I do wonder though, for those who have held the fund for a long time - does the borrowing expense portion of the ER fluctuate regularly? Or is this new low-rate territory?