What Blend of These 2 Fidelity Funds Approximates TSM

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
poisedforflight

What Blend of These 2 Fidelity Funds Approximates TSM

Post by poisedforflight »

I have the option for an S&P500 and a Mid-Cap in my 401k that I'll be starting first of the year.

My 2 best options are:

FXAIX - Fidelity® 500 Index Fund - .02%ER - https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /315911750
FSMAX - Fidelity® Extended Market Index Fund - .04%ER - https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /315911743

I don't think this will give me a full approximation of TSM but I'd like to get as close as possible.
Brianmcg321

Re: What Blend of These 2 Fidelity Funds Approximates TSM

Post by Brianmcg321 »

80/20

Extended market contains small caps also. The combination of the two will give you a TSM.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
terran

Post by terran »

80/20 or so would probably be good. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market should help
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

The fund might be called "mid cap" in your list, but it is actually the "rest of the market". Agree that about 80:20 will approximate the total stock market. Being very precise is not very important.
Topic Author
poisedforflight

Thank you for all the replies. I was just reading the Composition of FSMAX and noticed that it was and Mid and Small.

80/20 it is.
Last edited by poisedforflight on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

poisedforflight wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 am Thank you for all the replies. I was just reading the Composition of VSMAX and noticed that it was and Mid and Small.

80/20 it is.
Vanguard also offers a "completion index" fund. Ticker is VEXAX. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... olio/vexax

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

VXF -- ETF version of Vanguard extended equity (VEXAX) is an alternative to FSMAX for extended equity
Topic Author
poisedforflight

RetiredCSProf wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:53 pm VXF -- ETF version of Vanguard extended equity (VEXAX) is an alternative to FSMAX for extended equity
Neither of these are available in my 401k.

Post by 1789 »

I would just hold one fund - FXAIX
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

poisedforflight wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:57 am I have the option for an S&P500 and a Mid-Cap in my 401k that I'll be starting first of the year.

My 2 best options are:

FXAIX - Fidelity® 500 Index Fund - .02%ER - https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /315911750
FSMAX - Fidelity® Extended Market Index Fund - .04%ER - https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /315911743

I don't think this will give me a full approximation of TSM but I'd like to get as close as possible.
Actually, it should. The index followed by FSMAX is designed to include the holdings in Total Market that are not included in the S&P500.

From the FSMAX Prospectus:
Normally investing at least 80% of assets in common stocks included in the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index℠, which represents the performance of stocks of mid- to small-capitalization U.S. companies.
Standard & Poor describes the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index as "a subindex of the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index that excludes components of the S&P 500". So this means that FSMAX is basically "Total Market minus S&P500", and combining FSMAX with FXAIX in the proper proportion should do a very good job of approximating Total Market.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Fidelity's Total Stock Market Index Fund, FSKAX, which I take it is not available to you, tracks the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index. (It's from Dow Jones but it is a normal, cap-weighted, total market index, with no connection to the Dow Jones Industrial Average).

FXAIX tracks the S&P 500 Index.

FSMAX tracks the Dow Jones US Completion Stock Market Index.

The Dow Jones US Completion Total Stock Market Index is
a subindex of the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index that excludes components of the S&P 500®
According to S&P
The index includes 500 leading companies and covers approximately 80% of available market capitalization.
The 80% number hasn't changed much in all the time I've been paying attention.

Notice, by the way, the careful phrasing: "500 leading companies," not "the 500 largest companies by market capitalization."

As others have noted, the S&P 500 and the total stock market are actually surprisingly similar, because not only does the S&P 500 include 80% of the market by cap weight (i.e. by dollar value), but the remaining 20% doesn't really behave all that differently from the rest--the correlation between the S&P 500 index and the completion index has been about 0.93. As a result, the overall financial behavior has been really very similar:

Source

Personally, yes, I would go with 80% FXAIX and 20% FSMAX if they are both conveniently available in your 401(k) plan, and the biggest single reason is that you do not have to waste time reading overwrought nonsense about what it means for the S&P 500 when/if Tesla will be added to the S&P 500, because it is in FSMAX already, and if when/if Tesla is added to FXAIX it will be removed from FSMAX.

But someone who really prizes simplicity for the sake of simplicity could just shrug and go with FXAIX.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
wizard903

Post by wizard903 »

I calculated this recently using Fidelity's hypothetical trade tool:

FSKAX
24-26-26
06-06-06
02-02-02

FXAIX (83%) + FSMAX (17%)
24-26-26
06-06-06
02-02-02

FXAIX (83%) + FSMDX (10%) + FSSNX (7%)
25-26-24
07-06-05
02-02-02
Topic Author
poisedforflight

I appreciate all of the additional answers.

I think I'll be going with the 83/17 split between the two from what I'm reading here and elsewhere.