Vanguards brokerage account number

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bertilak

Vanguards brokerage account number

Post by bertilak »

Does anyone know how to find one's brokerage account number on the Vanguard web site? I needed this number but could not find it. A call to Vanguard got someone who could look it up and tell me. He could NOT tell me how to get it from Vanguard's web site. Is this an oversight on the part of the web designers or is it a security feature?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jebmke

Re: Vanguards brokerage account number

Post by jebmke »

I can tell you that it is on the statement. You should be able to reach that on their site. I'm not into the site right now but I do know that it is on the statement.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

When I go to my account online I can select Balances and holdings. In the display there is a column headed "Fund & Account." In that column the fund number comes first e.g. 0033 for the Federal Money Market Fund. The second number (after the dash) is the account number.
De gustibus non est disputandum
nix4me

Post by nix4me »

Mine is in the title of the account name.
GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 »

I just logged on and it's shown on the balances and holdings page, next to the "name" of each account.
We have two trust accounts and two IRAs and each account's number is shown.

So that's it for 3 of us in a row.

GMT
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Go to the Balances and holdings page of your accounts. The brokerage account # is at the top of each account. If you have the old style mutual fund account, then the account number is in the Fund & Account column on the same page.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm When I go to my account online I can select Balances and holdings. In the display there is a column headed "Fund & Account." In that column the fund number comes first e.g. 0033 for the Federal Money Market Fund. The second number (after the dash) is the account number.
you are describing the old mutual fund account, not a brokerage account.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

To OP,

For a Brokerage Account, the name of the account in Balances and Holdings is something like: Alfred E. Neuman—Brokerage Account—12345678*

Your account number is: 12345678
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I have two trust accounts, both inactive (beneficiaries deceased).

One of them shows a account number, the other does not. The account number shown is in the same format (11 numerical digits) as the one I was told over the phone for my brokerage account, but it is a different number.

None of my other accounts show my brokerage account number, just individual account numbers for Taxable, Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Inherited IRA, each of which has its own account number (8 numerical digits). There is a "registration details" link but that doesn't give a brokerage account number.

The number I was given over the phone I cannot see anywhere on the web site.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:43 pm
cadreamer2015 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm When I go to my account online I can select Balances and holdings. In the display there is a column headed "Fund & Account." In that column the fund number comes first e.g. 0033 for the Federal Money Market Fund. The second number (after the dash) is the account number.
you are describing the old mutual fund account, not a brokerage account.
Yes, the one trust account that shows an account number is of that format and indeed it was set up long ago as a mutual fund account. I think that was the only possibility at the time.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jebmke wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:31 pm I can tell you that it is on the statement. You should be able to reach that on their site. I'm not into the site right now but I do know that it is on the statement.
I looked at the PDF statements available online and could not find the brokerage account number, just the individual numbers for taxable, IRA, etc..
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

bertilak wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:09 pm
jebmke wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:31 pm I can tell you that it is on the statement. You should be able to reach that on their site. I'm not into the site right now but I do know that it is on the statement.
I looked at the PDF statements available online and could not find the brokerage account number, just the individual numbers for taxable, IRA, etc..
What are looking for? There isn't one overarching account number for the whole lot, each type of account has its own number and some people choose to have more than one of any type.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:16 pm
bertilak wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:09 pm
What are looking for? There isn't one overarching account number for the whole lot, each type of account has its own number and some people choose to have more than one of any type.
Well, the customer support guy WAS able to give me an overall number (11 digits) and the instructions Vanguard sent me for filling out a form said to enter the grantee's account number, not the IRA's (for example) account number. It was needed to identify ME, not (one of) the various accounts I have. Here are the instructions:
  • The account owner (the grantor) will enter the prospective agent's (the
    grantee's) information online. The grantor will enter the grantee's account
    number, as well as the grantee's name, date of birth, email address, and
    mailing address. The grantor would then select the accounts that the
    grantee can access.
Last edited by bertilak on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

learn something new everyday here
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

According to the internet, it is the last eleven digits of each individual account, but things seem to get complicated if you hold the same fund in more than one account type.

Vanguard UK says "the best thing to do is contact us," but it sounds like that may also be the case in the US.
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Goal33 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 pm A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.
Not quite as true as it used to be.

There are TWO places on my computer screen that display the time. I am often slightly amused that they are EXACTLY in sync! Seems unnatural. How can they be so close?
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:28 pm Vanguard UK says "the best thing to do is contact us," but it sounds like that may also be the case in the US.
Well that's something else new to learn today!

P.S. One strange thing when I told the customer service guy I couldn't find that account number anywhere. He said "Oh, I see you are on the old system. I can convert you over to the new system." So I logged on again, could see NO change and told him so. He said that only affected what he can see and not what I can see!
Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

UPDATE:
bertilak wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:22 pm Well, the customer support guy WAS able to give me an overall number (11 digits) and the instructions Vanguard sent me for filling out a form said to enter the grantee's account number, not the IRA's (for example) account number. It was needed to identify ME, not (one of) the various accounts I have. Here are the instructions:
  • The account owner (the grantor) will enter the prospective agent's (the
    grantee's) information online. The grantor will enter the grantee's account
    number
    , as well as the grantee's name, date of birth, email address, and
    mailing address. The grantor would then select the accounts that the
    grantee can access.
Apparently the instructions have been modified slightly. Going directly to the "Grant Access" web page one sees a slight, but significant, change to the highlighted words above, as originally sent to me by Vanguard. Here is the current text:
  • If adding a new grantee, enter his or her name, address, birth date, and email address and one of his or her Vanguard account numbers.
So I got sent on a merry chase! "account number" went from singular to plural.

In the past, I set up the same thing for two other family members with little or no hassle. The difference is that in those cases my call for help resulted in the VG rep doing most the work. This time all I got was a cut-n-past of some boilerplate and apparently outdated boiler plate at that.

P.S. THe reason I called for help is that I could not find the web page starting from the initial Vanguard log in. I can find it now:
-> My Accounts
-> Account Maintenance (This has thirty-nine links, one of which is ...)
-> Security Profile (account permissions)
-> Grant Access Online

Seems reasonably straightforward once you know it!