How much capital gains?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
owenmia

How much capital gains?

Post by owenmia »

I am going to sell 16k on a stock in a non retirement account.

The total value is $214,000 and the unrealized gain is 32k.

How much tax will I incur? Ive owned it more than a year.
sailaway

Re: How much capital gains?

Post by sailaway »

Which accounting method are you using? If anything other than average cost, then more details are needed.
Topic Author
owenmia

Post by owenmia »

What other details do you need?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

owenmia wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:52 pm Whatever Merrill edge uses to calculate unrealized gain.
They use whatever you tell them, assuming that you even have covered shares. You will have to log in and look for this information or call customer service.
Topic Author
owenmia

Post by owenmia »

I am sure that I was never asked to specify how they calculate capital gains.

Does anyone else know?
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If the cost basis method for your stock is “average cost” then your long-term capital gain would be $2,393 ( = $16,000 / $214,000 x $32,000). The capital gain tax you would pay depends on your income. Capital gain rates are 0%, 15% or 20% (+ 3.8% NIIT depending on income).

If you use another cost basis method (such as Specific Identification, FIFO, etc.), your gain will depend on the cost basis of the tax lot(s) you sell.

Usually the cost basis method is established when you open your Taxable account. You either select one or the brokerage default is used. Check your online account to see what method is used. You may be able to change it online or call your broker to talk with a customer service rep.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Were all shares purchased in one lot or more than one lot?
Topic Author
owenmia

Post by owenmia »

I would say three lots.
Topic Author
owenmia

Post by owenmia »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:07 pm If the cost basis method for your stock is “average cost” then your long-term capital gain would be $2,393 ( = $16,000 / $214,000 x $32,000). The capital gain tax you would pay depends on your income. Capital gain rates are 0%, 15% or 20% (+ 3.8% NIIT depending on income).

If you use another cost basis method (such as Specific Identification, FIFO, etc.), your gain will depend on the cost basis of the tax lot(s) you sell.

Usually the cost basis method is established when you open your Taxable account. You either select one or the brokerage default is used. Check your online account to see what method is used. You may be able to change it online or call your broker to talk with a customer service rep.
Thank you!
Gill

Post by Gill »

sailaway wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:47 pm Which accounting method are you using? If anything other than average cost, then more details are needed.
You can’t use average cost with shares of stock.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Gill wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:18 pm
sailaway wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:47 pm Which accounting method are you using? If anything other than average cost, then more details are needed.
Gill
That's true, but if OP is selling everything he purchased, but purchases were at several dates, then the tax return would specify "various" as the date of purchase, and the total cost as the basis, so it would LOOK LIKE an average cost. Any other scenario is more complex.

EDIT: Please ignore. I didn't read properly. OP is NOT selling everything.
Last edited by RudyS on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

RudyS wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:43 am
Gill wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:18 pm
Gill
That's true, but if OP is selling everything he purchased, but purchases were at several dates, then the tax return would specify "various" as the date of purchase, and the total cost as the basis, so it would LOOK LIKE an average cost. Any other scenario is more complex.
OP is not selling everything: by owenmia » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 pm

"I am going to sell 16k on a stock in a non retirement account.
The total value is $214,000 and the unrealized gain is 32k."
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

owenmia wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:04 pm I am sure that I was never asked to specify how they calculate capital gains.

Does anyone else know?
It’s not difficult but we need more info...

Here is a link to the WIKI on how to calculate:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Capital ... stribution

You need to know info about your Income, Deductions, Cost Basis and Gains on the stock sale etc.

WoodSpinner
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Go to: https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/calc ... ulator.php

Plug in your numbers for 2020 without the stock sale. Then plug in your numbers with the stock sale. The difference is your answer.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

owenmia wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:10 pm I would say three lots.
What was the price/share of each of the lots?
delamer

Post by delamer »

If your state has an income tax, then you may pay taxes in addition to the federal amount.
Last edited by delamer on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Did the stock distribute dividends? If yes, did you reinvest those dividends back into the stock. Each dividend reinvestment would be a new tax lot. To minimize capital gains, you'd want to sell the shares with the highest cost basis. Specific share identification will give you the most flexibility with this.

You'd need to figure out the capital gain for each tax lot that you sell.

If some lots have a loss, those offset the gains to give you a net capital gain. Once you have the net gain or loss, you can then apply them to to your tax return on top of the other income that you have already entered and see the tax cost of adding the capital gain. Tax software and/or tax calculator will be helpful.
Wiki