Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
smalliebigs
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by smalliebigs »

Now, you might be initially thinking, "this guy's wife is making him invest his money." Fortunately, this isn't the case. Our strategy has always been (for now) just 90% VTSAX, 10% VTBLX and call it a day.

However, my wife has itchy fingers and wants to buy single stocks. But she doesn't really quite know about the mechanics, so wants me to do it.

She has given me (or herself), a budget of US$3,000 and wants to dabble. I've turned to you guys because, I honestly don't really know what to buy (which I feel is a good thing!)

I was thinking throwing it all in BRK.B, because that technically is a single company. Or maybe an actively managed Vanguard growth fund? Or just put it all in VTI, because she honestly has no clue about the ticker names. But that's kind of boring.

So, I thought to ask you guys about it. If you had $3,000 play money, and this really was play money, what would you do? If it gains, we get money. If it drops, it'll be a lesson to her to stop having windfall fantasies. Disclaimer, this doesn't affect our retirement strategy at all.
Mr.BB
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Mr.BB »

Actually we just decided to spend $3,000 on a stock pick; call it fun money. We pick up some shares of Apple. (I wish we were having this conversation 20 years ago.. :D ).
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
rich126
Posts: 2011
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by rich126 »

Use it as an experiment and put $1K in WCLD (high flying tech stocks, kind of), BRK.B and some other company you think it well run and look back in a year and see what happens.

I'm assuming $3K is a tiny fraction of your total portfolio.
Whakamole
Posts: 1196
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Whakamole »

Does she want to participate in picking the stock, or does she want you to pick?

I'd encourage her to think of a public company she likes and buy the stock, since this seems to be her idea.
User avatar
Noobvestor
Posts: 5644
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Noobvestor »

If she wants to gamble, she should learn how he slots work, not force you to put in the coins and pull the levers. :wink:
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
User avatar
MN-Investor
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 am
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by MN-Investor »

I own a small number of individual stocks mostly because I like the companies, they are mostly all local companies, and I just enjoy seeing how they're doing. They make up <5% of my portfolio so not a big deal. Individual stocks I own - 3M, Target, Hormel, Toro, Honeywell, General Mills, and Donaldson.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
000
Posts: 2834
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by 000 »

Never heard of a person wanting to buy individual stocks but not knowing which ones.

OP, are you the "wife" in this story? Are you looking for some lottos? :twisted:
protagonist
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by protagonist »

Your wife is the one with the itch, but you are the one picking the stock?
Hiker8
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:09 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Hiker8 »

If you and your wife are resorting to an online forum for stock tips :oops: , well, my suggestion is to invest in VTI. Tell your wife its a great company :wink: . Worst case scenario, she finds out its an ETF.. In that case, you can tell her you wanted to purchase her a share in every company. What a great husband. :D
TropikThunder
Posts: 2544
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by TropikThunder »

One would imagine that her itch to buy individual stocks came from somewhere specific, like FOMO for Apple or whatever. Just have her buy whatever it was that lit the fuse.
Enzo IX
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:07 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Enzo IX »

I'm biased but Ferrari (RACE} has done really well since it went public. Overlay the performance with the SP 500 since inception.
Last edited by Enzo IX on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 23056
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

MN-Investor wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 pm I own a small number of individual stocks mostly because I like the companies, they are mostly all local companies, and I just enjoy seeing how they're doing. They make up <5% of my portfolio so not a big deal. Individual stocks I own - 3M, Target, Hormel, Toro, Honeywell, General Mills, and Donaldson.
You should just buy the Mairs and Powers Growth Fund - they own MN domiciled companies and are more diversified than the list you have above.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
cogito
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by cogito »

OP this is an opportunity. 3k is going to be a great price for a lifelong learning opportunity. Start figuring out what's got her excited. Instead of just buying the stock, get her pumped up about short dated calls that are guaranteed to pay off 5x. Pressure her HARD to go all in, maybe even an extra 2k for Bitcoin and TQQQ. After the money disappears maybe she'll want to slow down a bit and keep following the Boglehead strategy that has worked well so far.
Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 23056
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

smalliebigs wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 pm Now, you might be initially thinking, "this guy's wife is making him invest his money." Fortunately, this isn't the case. Our strategy has always been (for now) just 90% VTSAX, 10% VTBLX and call it a day.

However, my wife has itchy fingers and wants to buy single stocks. But she doesn't really quite know about the mechanics, so wants me to do it.

She has given me (or herself), a budget of US$3,000 and wants to dabble. I've turned to you guys because, I honestly don't really know what to buy (which I feel is a good thing!)

I was thinking throwing it all in BRK.B, because that technically is a single company. Or maybe an actively managed Vanguard growth fund? Or just put it all in VTI, because she honestly has no clue about the ticker names. But that's kind of boring.

So, I thought to ask you guys about it. If you had $3,000 play money, and this really was play money, what would you do? If it gains, we get money. If it drops, it'll be a lesson to her to stop having windfall fantasies. Disclaimer, this doesn't affect our retirement strategy at all.
Buy BRK.B - then you can tell her she owns a bit of all the companies plus has the investing prowess of Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger to watch over her money. :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Ged »

If I were to speculate in an individual company right now it would be NVIDIA.
retire2022
Posts: 1552
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Vanguard has stock screen tool:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/StocksScreenerSec

I brought 333 shares of Apple (aapl), post split, 9/4/2020 & 9/5/2020, this is first time since 1993 that I own stocks and when I had a margin account with Dean Witter Reynolds. DCA 123.0826 or $40,986.50 total cost or 2% of my portfolio. Very low risk for me.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... icker=AAPL
check this out one year 131%, five years 345%

Argus analyst from vanguard site

http://djcs.factsetdigitalsolutions.com ... 310050.pdf

glossary for Argus report: http://custom.factsetdigitalsolutions.c ... ossary.pdf

I don't recommend https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWUSX US Growth but rather Vanguard Growth Index Fund below:

VIGAX/VUG which includes top growth stocks, currently including Apple.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VIGAX ER 0.05%

ETF version VUG ER 0.04%

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/vug

Then you could invest also invest in https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/MGK ER 0.07%

If you have a Roth account, I would recommend you put those in there.

I have 1803 Shares of Vanguard Information Technology VGT, ER 0.10 in my Roth IRA

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/VGT
Last edited by retire2022 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
MishkaWorries
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by MishkaWorries »

Tell her to:
Select on industry or sector she thinks will outperform in the future;

Select a few companies in that sector;

Then research these companies to determine p/e ratios; management; products in pipeline; creditworthiness; corporate culture; review financial statements; and internet research on how the company is doing.

After all that and she has identified a company that all full-time, highly trained and highly paid wall street analysts have mispriced, then buy the stocks.

Or tell her to learn Elliott Wave and sentiment analysis and pick stocks that way.

Good luck!
We plan. G-d laughs.
User avatar
JonnyDVM
Posts: 2269
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by JonnyDVM »

protagonist wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:15 pm Your wife is the one with the itch, but you are the one picking the stock?
Yah. Let her pick. It’s her idea. Nothing wrong with some fun money.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
TropikThunder
Posts: 2544
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by TropikThunder »

Enzo IX wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:48 pm I'm biased but Ferrari (RACE} has done really well since it went public. Overlay the performance with the SP 500 since inception.
Username checks out. :P
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9136
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by whodidntante »

What you do with $3,000 is inconsequential most of the time, so I just wouldn't bother. If you happen to hit a hundred bagger it will move the needle somewhat.
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by cheese_breath »

protagonist wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:15 pm Your wife is the one with the itch, but you are the one picking the stock?
So it's not her fault if you pick bad ones?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by cheese_breath »

Pick bad ones and lose the whole $3000. It'll be a cheap lesson in the long run.

If you happen to get some winners she might get the idea single stocks are the way to go and want to 'invest' more.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
cogito
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by cogito »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:40 pm Pick bad ones and lose the whole $3000. It'll be a cheap lesson in the long run.
Can you expand on this strategy? I'd like to short it. :D
retired@50
Posts: 3473
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:36 pm
Location: Living in the U.S.A.

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by retired@50 »

Instead of buying a high flying (possibly over-priced) tech stock, put a few bucks into a dud that's had a hard year. Maybe ExxonMobil or something like that, then hope for a rebound. :wink: I have no idea if this will work, since I don't buy individual stocks.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
xenial
Posts: 2699
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:36 am
Location: USA

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by xenial »

You might as well choose something interesting. I'd go with Compugen (CGEN), an Israeli biotech company working on cancer immunotherapies.
retire2022
Posts: 1552
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by retire2022 »

retired@50 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:44 pm Instead of buying a high flying (possibly over-priced) tech stock, put a few bucks into a dud that's had a hard year. Maybe ExxonMobil or something like that, then hope for a rebound. :wink: I have no idea if this will work, since I don't buy individual stocks.

Regards,
retired@50, it is called Dogs of Dow theory: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dogsofthedow.asp

Though not an entirely new concept, in 1991, this strategy first became a popular fixture with the publication of Michael B. O’Higgins’s book, “Beating the Dow,” in which he also coined the name “Dogs of the Dow.”
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by cheese_breath »

cogito wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:40 pm Pick bad ones and lose the whole $3000. It'll be a cheap lesson in the long run.
Can you expand on this strategy? I'd like to short it. :D
Pick some that are headed for bankruptcy.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
retired@50
Posts: 3473
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:36 pm
Location: Living in the U.S.A.

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by retired@50 »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:48 pm
retired@50 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:44 pm Instead of buying a high flying (possibly over-priced) tech stock, put a few bucks into a dud that's had a hard year. Maybe ExxonMobil or something like that, then hope for a rebound. :wink: I have no idea if this will work, since I don't buy individual stocks.

Regards,
retired@50, it is called Dogs of Dow theory: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dogsofthedow.asp

Though not an entirely new concept, in 1991, this strategy first became a popular fixture with the publication of Michael B. O’Higgins’s book, “Beating the Dow,” in which he also coined the name “Dogs of the Dow.”
Exxon Mobil isn't in the Dow anymore, but I get your point.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
User avatar
camillus
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by camillus »

You could also buy some companies of which you are fans, or ones you think are doing important work in the world.
RickyAZ
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by RickyAZ »

Buy 1 share of AMZN and watch what happens. Gives her something to talk to her friends about. See how she feels when it moves $175/ day.
anoop
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by anoop »

RickyAZ wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 am Buy 1 share of AMZN and watch what happens. Gives her something to talk to her friends about. See how she feels when it moves $175/ day.
That currently costs more than $3000, but fortunately most brokerages will allow you to buy a fractional share.
kelvan80
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by kelvan80 »

My husband asks me to do this from time to time. I reminded him we don't gamble and also if he wants to complicate our taxes then he'll have to take that over as well since I do them for free but I'm not interested in comparing our life.
User avatar
BL
Posts: 9521
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by BL »

Insist that she choose the stock(s), with some advice from you if she insists. Then you can help her do the actual purchase online. This is a great opportunity to learn how to do it rather than leave everything to you.

Someday she may be left a widow and any knowledge she gains now could be invaluable to her then. If not, it is great to know something about how these things work, and she has given you the perfect opportunity to get her started. Never pass up a teaching/learning opportunity!
stimulacra
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by stimulacra »

I've succumbed to this a few times.

In the past:

1) Chipotle; I bought an extreme dip after a bad outbreak that got a lot of media attention. Sold it triple a while later.
2) Coca Cola; I was on a dividend kick and bought a slug of KO. Ended up holing on to it. Had the good fortune of traveling around the world for work and saw first hand how pervasive and robust Coca Cola's portfolio of products are.
3) Got a nice bonus a few years back and got equal allocations of Google, Apple, Microsoft and Disney. Held on to all of them. Apple and Microsoft has slowly become my two largest single holdings. I like Disney in theory but the returns to date has been rather ho-hum.

I keep a short list of tickers I bookmark for possible buying opportunities (Target, Walmart, Costco, Yum Brands) but more often than not either Total US Stock, International or TIPS is a more compelling buy when it comes time to direct new cash inflows.
hereverycentcounts
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 pm
Location: Somewhere Very HCOL

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by hereverycentcounts »

smalliebigs wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 pm Now, you might be initially thinking, "this guy's wife is making him invest his money." Fortunately, this isn't the case. Our strategy has always been (for now) just 90% VTSAX, 10% VTBLX and call it a day.

However, my wife has itchy fingers and wants to buy single stocks. But she doesn't really quite know about the mechanics, so wants me to do it.

She has given me (or herself), a budget of US$3,000 and wants to dabble. I've turned to you guys because, I honestly don't really know what to buy (which I feel is a good thing!)

I was thinking throwing it all in BRK.B, because that technically is a single company. Or maybe an actively managed Vanguard growth fund? Or just put it all in VTI, because she honestly has no clue about the ticker names. But that's kind of boring.

So, I thought to ask you guys about it. If you had $3,000 play money, and this really was play money, what would you do? If it gains, we get money. If it drops, it'll be a lesson to her to stop having windfall fantasies. Disclaimer, this doesn't affect our retirement strategy at all.
I like the 5% rule -- never have more than 5% of your networth in any one stock. I make sure I adjust for taxes (ie if my networth is in an IRA I reduce that value by expected future tax so it balances right) and then, go for it. Just be prepared to lose 5% of your portfolio, or some chunk of that. Or maybe you'll beat the market!
36 year old mom of 2 in a VHCOL area trying to figure out how to afford it all. Non techie in tech.
stimulacra
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by stimulacra »

If it's truly $3k of fun money, I would get something that is not encompassed in your current 90% VTSAX, 10% VTBLX allocation.

International (VXUS) or Emerging Index ETF (VWO) if you want to keep it simple.
trigger08
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: HK

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by trigger08 »

Similar boat here, perhaps it's the rebound from the COVID crash but my spouse has been talking about friends who are "making a lot of money" on stocks and that since I'm analytical/good at math/level-headed I should be picking stocks too… I told her those are precisely the reasons why I'm a Boglehead! Anyway, she's convinced to stay the course with index funds overall but we'll put aside $2k or so for dabbling in stocks and consider that fun money as spent and gone.

But I agree with the other posters, the one with the "itch" should be the one doing the picking. In our case she is genuinely interested in learning more about finance/economy so the idea is she will be in charge of picking the stocks (with a bit of advice from me) and I'll try to educate her about how someone would evaluate whether to buy/sell a particular stock in terms of looking at financials, etc.
UpperNwGuy
Posts: 4129
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by UpperNwGuy »

After reading this thread, I am glad to be single.
BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Do you guys ever do cruises?

With some cruise line stocks, you get some sort of perk if you hold 100 shares of the line's stock. They are al pretty cheap right now...
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
OCDinvestor
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by OCDinvestor »

smalliebigs wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 pm Now, you might be initially thinking, "this guy's wife is making him invest his money." Fortunately, this isn't the case. Our strategy has always been (for now) just 90% VTSAX, 10% VTBLX and call it a day.

However, my wife has itchy fingers and wants to buy single stocks. But she doesn't really quite know about the mechanics, so wants me to do it.

She has given me (or herself), a budget of US$3,000 and wants to dabble. I've turned to you guys because, I honestly don't really know what to buy (which I feel is a good thing!)

I was thinking throwing it all in BRK.B, because that technically is a single company. Or maybe an actively managed Vanguard growth fund? Or just put it all in VTI, because she honestly has no clue about the ticker names. But that's kind of boring.

So, I thought to ask you guys about it. If you had $3,000 play money, and this really was play money, what would you do? If it gains, we get money. If it drops, it'll be a lesson to her to stop having windfall fantasies. Disclaimer, this doesn't affect our retirement strategy at all.
Single stocks represent <4% of invested assets, but we recently bought Peloton (PTON). They report on September 10th for Q2 2020 and with COVID, gym bankruptcies, etc. I’m hoping it goes berserk! Hopefully people will realize, as I have, the efficiency of working out at home!
Compound
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Compound »

BL wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 am Insist that she choose the stock(s), with some advice from you if she insists. Then you can help her do the actual purchase online. This is a great opportunity to learn how to do it rather than leave everything to you.

Someday she may be left a widow and any knowledge she gains now could be invaluable to her then. If not, it is great to know something about how these things work, and she has given you the perfect opportunity to get her started. Never pass up a teaching/learning opportunity!
Completely agreed. If she wants to invest in single stocks so badly, it’s time she educate herself on investments! She may even come to learn about the advantages of index investing and change her mind.
RobLyons
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by RobLyons »

The thinking with stock purchases is usually the opposite - you want to buy xyz stocks because you heard something or someone encouraged you, not just here's a lump sum I want to buy stocks and I don't know which ones.

The only stock I have owned recently was apple and I did not regret it. I purchased AAPL because
-I know the company
-I owned the products
-I researched the financials
-fully believed the stock was undervalued
-wasn't selling if the price dropped, was ready to buy more actually
-the amount invested wasn't much

I don't think you could go wrong if you find a company that checks most of those boxes
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
Topic Author
smalliebigs
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by smalliebigs »

I'm shocked to wake up and see so much lively discussion! :D

So, maybe I'll try and address some of the questions with a background/context. The $3000 is about 1% of our current retirement fund. She knows about diversification/S&P500, the whole concept. Mostly because I mention it to her occasionally. She actively monitors and checks the performance of our investments. However, she finds it dreadfully boring! She craves excitement and wants more volatility!

The only issue here is, she doesn't know the exact procedure to purchase shares, so she just wants me to do it. In a way, this is her attempt to force me to buy individual shares because she's been bugging me to do it and for a long time my answer was, "nah".

She's leaning towards the companies she knows, such as Zoom, Apple, Alphabet, etc. Honestly, if she would just pick something and make up her mind I wouldn't even need to make this thread. She's the final veto; if she says $3,000 in Zoom, I'll do that for her.

We're chuckling at the comments, especially the one that thinks I'm the wife in this scenario. :)
batrleby
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by batrleby »

Advice from a Boglehead who also follows /r/WallStreetBets:

Stick $3K in a RobinHood account and install the app on her phone.

/jk
yohac
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by yohac »

smalliebigs wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:36 am She actively monitors and checks the performance of our investments. However, she finds it dreadfully boring! She craves excitement and wants more volatility!
Your wife and my wife cannot possibly be in the same species.
Call_Me_Op
Posts: 7984
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Call_Me_Op »

smalliebigs wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 pm However, my wife has itchy fingers and wants to buy single stocks. But she doesn't really quite know about the mechanics, so wants me to do it.
Is she aware that individual stocks have the same expected return (as the index) but much higher risk?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Topic Author
smalliebigs
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by smalliebigs »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:57 am Is she aware that individual stocks have the same expected return (as the index) but much higher risk?
She lives for the risk!



That Robinhood suggestion is a good one. Pretty sure she'll be raking in millions in no time
Dottie57
Posts: 9203
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Dottie57 »

smalliebigs wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:04 am
Call_Me_Op wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:57 am Is she aware that individual stocks have the same expected return (as the index) but much higher risk?
She lives for the risk!
Gamblers Anonymous?
Helo80
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Helo80 »

I don't have a gambling tendency, but I've been thinking of putting up $1k or so on options trading and see what happens.

For $3k, I don't think it's that bad... it's safe (e.g. No COVID risk).... and probably won't make a dime's bit of difference in your final retirement.
Call_Me_Op
Posts: 7984
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: Wife is "forcing" me to buy stock(s)

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Helo80 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:43 am I don't have a gambling tendency, but I've been thinking of putting up $1k or so on options trading and see what happens.

For $3k, I don't think it's that bad... it's safe (e.g. No COVID risk).... and probably won't make a dime's bit of difference in your final retirement.
That's a good point. If it's limited to $3k, it's a don't care. The question is will it be limited to $3k?

I think the OP actually asked for stock suggestions. It shouldn't be a stock you've already heard of, because it's too late to make a killing.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Post Reply