Family member has one million in one stock , doesn't want to cash out

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
bog007

Re: My dad has 1 million in Tesla, I told him to cash out, he doesn't want too

Post by bog007 »

Too much in one stock. Sell half
Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 pm
palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:49 pm
gmaynardkrebs wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm Stay the Course! Nobody Know Nuthin! If he had invested $1 in US stocks at the signing of the Constitution, his net worth would be greater today than that of the entire US and EU combined. Warren Buffet says the proper holding time for stocks is forever. Never time the market. The market knows more than you do.
Any other BH truisms I forgot to parrot?
That would have been difficult as there was no US stock exchange in existence on June 21, 1788. Do you have a reference for the net worth greater than the entire US and EU combined?

History is important.
There was a Wall on Wall Street though... Or maybe the Wall was gone by 1788... That was more of a 1688 thing maybe, when it was still New Amsterdam, and they needed a Wall to keep the Indians from attacking.

Edit: Hey, I was right on the money... Wrote the above, then looked it up.
Wall Street was originally known in Dutch as "de Waalstraat" when it was part of New Amsterdam in the 17th century, though the origins of the name vary. An actual wall existed on the street from 1685 to 1699.
Yes you were! :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

wilked wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:25 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:48 pm You know, everyone out there telling you to stay out of it is right....But, I would still try one at least one explanation and then stay out of it. Consider putting it in writing and sharing some of your thoughts. Start off congratulating him, talk about goals, then talk about winning the game and taking unnecessary risk. Next mention how you know you should mind your own business, but you can't help sharing your unwanted 2 cents. Discuss maybe how most money managers fail at timing the market, discuss maybe some options such as taking half off.
Agree with this idea, with the caveat that you make sure to send it certified mail, so you know he received it and can prove it. Should he say he didn’t read it you can always cite the reference number and show that’s not the case
Were you mocking me with the certified mail? I get it if you were, I think. I would just hand it to him or send an email. I don’t know about you or OP, but I care very much for my parents and I want them to travel and and enjoy their retirement years as much as possible. I would have hated seeing their wealth get destroyed via taking too much concentrated risk in 1 company. My parents have enough money to be very comfortable but losing half would eliminate that comfort. While adding significant gains would add very little. OP parents appear to be in a much better situation and maybe can tolerate a large loss.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Another option is to suggest if Tesla equity goes over One million sell that and invest in index funds. Kind of a bucket strategy to keep one million in his favorite stock.
EfficientInvestor

Post by EfficientInvestor »

I'll echo what others have said regarding put options. He could take it a step further and use a collar strategy in which he would sell calls against his holdings in order to fund the purchase of the put options. Assuming he wants to limit himself to a 10% loss...he could sell Sep 2021 calls at the 600 strike for around $125/share and buy Sep 2021 puts at the 450 strike for around $124/share. This would limit him to "only" a 20% gain above the current price of almost 500/share, but it would limit his loss to 10%. FWIW...it's amazing how skewed the options pricing is towards the call side right now due to the number of speculators bidding up the price.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Assuming he hasn't or won't ask for your advice or even take it if he does why try and convince him of anything? He's a 60 year old grown man, he's done well, and has his own beliefs even if they don't mirror what many see as best. Mind your own business. Even if Tesla goes belly up tomorrow he's still going to be okay.
balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 »

sjl333 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:13 pm Hello all,

My dad just told me he has surpassed one million in Tesla . He's 60 years old , 5 years left to retirement. Has a total portfolio of 3 million and RE worth 2 million.

His portfolio holdings consist of individual companies such as Tesla , apple, Nvidia , AMD , GE and some other companies.

I told him to cash out , or at least cash out 50% and diversify to sp500. He is playing with fire 🔥 and I told him he should cash his chips while he's running good. He told me he thinks he can time the market and will cash out before it crashes. I told him its very hard to time the market like that.

Can anybody provide some advice on what I should tell him to convince him otherwise ?

Thanks.
If he didn't ask for your advice, butt out. If he did, it's completely up to him to utilize it.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Although I'm in the "stay out of it camp" I can't help but wonder how different the majority of responses would be if the OP said that his dad has $1 million invested at Edward Jones.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

keystone wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:25 am Although I'm in the "stay out of it camp" I can't help but wonder how different the majority of responses would be if the OP said that his dad has $1 million invested at Edward Jones.
Same response: you said your piece, let it go.

My parents bought an annuity at retirement and keep their IRAs in CDs that they are constantly moving around for better rates. I am not going to keep pestering them to invest differently unless I see signs of cognitive decline, and even then, I just want them to simplify because there has been some confusion about which CDs are Roth vs traditional.
keystone

Post by keystone »

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 am
keystone wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:25 am Although I'm in the "stay out of it camp" I can't help but wonder how different the majority of responses would be if the OP said that his dad has $1 million invested at Edward Jones.
Same response: you said your piece, let it go.

My parents bought an annuity at retirement and keep their IRAs in CDs that they are constantly moving around for better rates. I am not going to keep pestering them to invest differently unless I see signs of cognitive decline, and even then, I just want them to simplify because there has been some confusion about which CDs are Roth vs traditional.
I'm in a somewhat similar boat - parent invests in a way that is somewhat at odds with Boglehead philosophies - invests in sectors, does not really look at portfolio as a whole, sometimes times the market, too much individual company risk, etc. I feel like as long as there is no issue with being destitute and no significant cognitive decline, it's all good.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Since he isn't interested in your investing advice, talk to him about his other life choices. How is his diet? Too many processed foods? Does he get enough exercise? Maybe his drinking has increased during the pandemic, ask him if he's considered cutting back.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:01 am Since he isn't interested in your investing advice, talk to him about his other life choices. How is his diet? Too many processed foods? Does he get enough exercise? Maybe his drinking has increased during the pandemic, ask him if he's considered cutting back.
While you are at it, be sure to tell him how to vote and question his religious practices.
Papago

Post by Papago »

TSWNY wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:38 pm Let him be. Some people just need to learn the hard way.
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Papago wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:01 am
TSWNY wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:38 pm Let him be. Some people just need to learn the hard way.
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
I sure would hate for my dad to pee on an electric fence if I can at least warn him. After being warned if he still chooses to pee, then who am I to stop him?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

My dad just told me he has surpassed one million in Tesla . He's 60 years old , 5 years left to retirement. Has a total portfolio of 3 million and RE worth 2 million.

His portfolio holdings consist of individual companies such as Tesla , apple, Nvidia , AMD , GE and some other companies.

I told him to cash out , or at least cash out 50% and diversify to sp500. He is playing with fire 🔥 and I told him he should cash his chips while he's running good. He told me he thinks he can time the market and will cash out before it crashes. I told him its very hard to time the market like that.

Can anybody provide some advice on what I should tell him to convince him otherwise ?

Thanks.
He is a grown man who seems to have the financial assets to care for his needs as he ages. Unless you were asked your opinion then IMHO you crossed a line big time. What you should do is congratulate him and give him a big hug and perhaps say I don't know how you do it, if it was me I would have to take some money off the table after being on a streak like. No one likes a know-it-all, especially your elders.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
tomtoms

Post by tomtoms »

People here need to stop saying index is the only way to make money. The truth is indexing is one of the ways to make money.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

tomtoms wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:22 am People here need to stop saying index is the only way to make money. The truth is indexing is one of the ways to make money.
You're on a site dedicated to indexing... You may want to get stock tips somewhere else. :wink:
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

When my dad was in his late eighties I convinced him to put the vast majority of his savings in fixed income. Over the next years, before he died, the s&p 500 went up significantly. I know he noticed this and probably thought I had given him bad advice (though he never said anything). My point is you should consider how you think your relationship with him would be effected if you took your advice and Tesla went up a lot. If you think this would not be a big deal, I would continue to try to persuade him to tone down the risk, because i think the risk he is taking is terrifying.

Sorry if this was already written above but I'm curious whether his investment in a retirement account. Or would he have to pay capital gains if he sold?

Good luck to both of you!
tomtoms

Post by tomtoms »

jason2459 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 am
tomtoms wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:22 am People here need to stop saying index is the only way to make money. The truth is indexing is one of the ways to make money.
You're on a site dedicated to indexing... You may want to get stock tips somewhere else. :wink:
Why do we need a forum just for the sole purpose of indexing? The concept is easy to understand and execute.

If you read some of the older posts...again and again, don’t buy Tesla stocks, do not become a landlord. Only invest in index funds. I think we can conclusive say those advices were disastrous.

I am all for indexing but I know there are also other ways to make good money. I think that is the main difference between me and some members on this forum.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

tomtoms wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:44 am

Why do we need a forum just for the sole purpose of indexing? The concept is easy to understand and execute.

If you read some of the older posts...again and again, don’t buy Tesla stocks, do not become a landlord. Only invest in index funds. I think we can conclusive say those advices were disastrous.
Many forums have a main theme to them in which a community forms. Many times there are split opinions in which sub sections get created to discuss those topics. However, individual stock picking is not one of those which is popular enough in this community to afford a subsection on its own.

And it could be argued the recommendations were not wrong. Just do not meet your point of view.
Last edited by jason2459 on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

gmaynardkrebs wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm Stay the Course! Nobody Know Nuthin! Warren Buffet says the proper holding time for stocks is forever. Never time the market. The market knows more than you do.
Yes: "Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Buy the haystack."
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

You think someone is a pauper because they didn't buy Tesla or become a landlord?

Anyone who invested in index funds is doing just fine, so no, not disastrous advice.
gmaynardkrebs

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:48 am
gmaynardkrebs wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm Stay the Course! Nobody Know Nuthin! Warren Buffet says the proper holding time for stocks is forever. Never time the market. The market knows more than you do.
Yes: "Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Buy the haystack."
Good one. :thumbsup
wander

Post by wander »

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:51 am

You think someone is a pauper because they didn't buy Tesla or become a landlord?

Anyone who invested in index funds is doing just fine, so no, not disastrous advice.
+1. I am fine without Tesla stocks. But, Tesla is included in S&P 500 anyway.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

wander wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:02 am

I believe Tesla is in QQQ but not the S&P 500 (VOO, SPY, IVV) yet.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TimeTheMarket

Post by TimeTheMarket »

Tesla is tremendously overvalued, but as long as there are people who don't know that, they will keep bidding it up. And could do it for years. I almost bought some a few years ago but would not touch it now.
Username is not serious :)
wander

Post by wander »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am
wander wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:02 am

I believe Tesla is in QQQ but not the S&P 500 (VOO, SPY, IVV) yet.
You are correct. I meant SCHX and VTI which I hold.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Wow, 7th largest company in the US on market cap. Musk is now the 3rd richest person in the US based on his ownership of Tesla shares. Now a 5 billion capital raise, with a balance sheet already at 8 billion in cash. Building a new factory in Texas and Germany. I hope they can continue to accelerate the move to sustainable transportation and energy. But, you really need to have guts to own Tesla stock today. You also need guts to short it.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

TimeTheMarket wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:13 am Tesla is tremendously overvalued, but as long as there are people who don't know that, they will keep bidding it up. And could do it for years. I almost bought some a few years ago but would not touch it now.
I almost bought some as recently as early April, when it was at about a split adjusted $100. I wouldn't have bought much anyway, but wow, what a run.

Not touching it now either, but it will be interesting to watch.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I am all for indexing but I know there are also other ways to make good money. I think that is the main difference between me and some members on this forum.
You have been a member here since 2013. How many other stocks were discussed over the last 7 years that did not pan out like Tesla? No one remembers the losers.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:22 pm You have been a member here since 2013. How many other stocks were discussed over the last 7 years that did not pan out like Tesla? No one remembers the losers.
I honestly think the past 10 years have been quite something. Tech companies have been talked about through and through and they all pretty much became winners.
People kept talking about Apple. Google (Alphabet). Facebook. Amazon. Microsoft.
And those are... doing quite well for themselves

No one really knows the future. It might seem dead obvious looking back what stocks were going to do well but when it comes to putting money on the table, everything feels different.

That said, if my father were to do this, I would seriously recommend my father to cash out cause he pretty much won the 'game' regardless. But to each his own.
Cam894

Post by Cam894 »

Sounds like he is a more skilled investor than you. You index because you can't/don't want to time the market. He does not feel the same.

Most bogleheads will repeat the work "luck" till they are blue in the face. But the reality is that he sounds fairly competent on investing matters. He saw potential and rode out incredible volatility. Tesla aside he is doing pretty well on the money side of things. So I would stay out of his business.

He probably doesn't want to take advice from a 30 year old whose indexes haven't done anything in 2 years. You could try telling him to sell his principal and play with house money.

I love indexing but not everybody shares our opinion.
tomtoms

Post by tomtoms »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:22 pm

You have been a member here since 2013. How many other stocks were discussed over the last 7 years that did not pan out like Tesla? No one remembers the losers.
It is not just stocks. Imagine if you had bought rental properties in the last 7 years.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

jajlrajrf wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:11 pm
wander wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:07 pm Put yourself in his shoes. Would you listen to your son's advice what to do with your money if you are a millionaire with a net worth of 3 million dollar?
I mean...yes?

Would I just follow my son's instructions and do what he says unconditionally? Certainly not. But assuming my kid is adult and has good judgment, if he came to me expressing a concern about how I was allocated, I'd certainly hear him out and might change my position if he made a good case. This dude came here asking for help making the case; I think it's weird that the response to him is "butt out" rather than helping him make the case when literally the entire basis of Bogleheads is making the case that the dad's position is unreasonably risky even when it happens to have made money.
I'm fairly dogmatic about the bogleheads investment strategy, but I don't see it as my job to be a bogleheads missionary. I might give my opinion if asked, but don't see it as my job to try to convert anyone else to the bogleheads strategy.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

tomtoms wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 pm

It is not just stocks. Imagine if you had bought rental properties in the last 7 years.
Yeah, imagine if you bought rental properties in NYC.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

He should sell way out the money tsla calls every week for income. Like tsla 1000 expiring in a week. I wonder how much premium you'd collect with $1m worth of tsla shared

Edit: ok maybe not tsla 1000, only goes up to 800. Could sell 15 contracts of tsla 600 expiring next Friday for around $10,000. Or tsla $700 for $4000, less likely to getting assigned.
Last edited by bugleheadd on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

Thanks.
Do you have a crystal ball to give this kind of advice :confused
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

oldfort wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:21 pm
wander wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:07 pm Put yourself in his shoes. Would you listen to your son's advice what to do with your money if you are a millionaire with a net worth of 3 million dollar?
I mean...yes?

Would I just follow my son's instructions and do what he says unconditionally? Certainly not. But assuming my kid is adult and has good judgment, if he came to me expressing a concern about how I was allocated, I'd certainly hear him out and might change my position if he made a good case. This dude came here asking for help making the case; I think it's weird that the response to him is "butt out" rather than helping him make the case when literally the entire basis of Bogleheads is making the case that the dad's position is unreasonably risky even when it happens to have made money.
I'm fairly dogmatic about the bogleheads investment strategy, but I don't see it as my job to be a bogleheads missionary. I might give my opinion if asked, but don't see it as my job to try to convert anyone else to the bogleheads strategy.
I fully agree with you. He needs to make his case with tact so as to not offend, express his position, and then let it go.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:53 pm
oldfort wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:21 pm
I mean...yes?

I fully agree with you. He needs to make his case with tact so as to not offend, express his position, and then let it go.
According to the title of this thread, he already fumbled that by telling Dad what to do.
tomtoms

Post by tomtoms »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Imagine if you had bought in the other 99.9% neighborhood.

I don’t get why some people think index is the only way to make good money. Factors like age, income, experience and risk tolerance should also be taken into consideration.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

tomtoms wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:58 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Imagine if you had bought in the other 99.9% neighborhood.

I don’t get why some people think index is the only way to make good money. Factors like age, income, experience and risk tolerance should also be taken into consideration.
No one said it’s the only way. Real Estate is a long proven way if one knows what their doing and willing to put in the effort. I doubt the majority here says otherwise.
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

Anyway, this thread helped me understand why Tesla keeps rising so quickly. After the Gen Z robinhood traders bought in as much as they are going to, now the FOMO bug has bit the 60-something dads. And there's a lot more money in the latter group which explains why it's going up at an accelerating pace.

The question then is how many waves of new investors are left from here to sustain the rise.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Tough month so far for TSLA. With today's general selloff, it's down about 18% since August 31 as I write this.
SovereignInvestor

Post by SovereignInvestor »

Instead of selling none and being concentrated or selling all and leaving gain in table and taking massive tax hit, perhaps selling N%, where 0 < n < 100% is a good idea.
wilked

Post by wilked »

CardinalRule wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:25 pm Tough month so far for TSLA. With today's general selloff, it's down about 18% since August 31 as I write this.
I can't tell if it's intended to be tongue in cheek, but calling anything a tough month on the morning of the 3rd is kind of funny, esp considering it's up 30% over the last month (30 days). Might be how it was intended though ;-)
mrtwstr

Post by mrtwstr »

Well it is down $40 a share from the open after the split, and $95+ from the high after the split ;)
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

wilked wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:18 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:25 pm Tough month so far for TSLA. With today's general selloff, it's down about 18% since August 31 as I write this.
I can't tell if it's intended to be tongue in cheek, but calling anything a tough month on the morning of the 3rd is kind of funny, esp considering it's up 30% over the last month (30 days). Might be how it was intended though ;-)
I'm guessing that the intent was that the month of September has been tough for Tesla. On August 31 (the day this thread started) Tesla closed at $498.32. Right now it is $405.83 -- losing 18.56% in three days is pretty tough. Someone who had a million in Tesla on the 31st of August is now down $185K.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

If he had a million in TSLA yesterday, he has about $904K today.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

Thanks a pretty expensive I told you so conversation you can have with your dad.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
BillWalters

Post by BillWalters »

I’m a firm believer in indexing but this stock was and is obviously absurdly valued. The price could easily double or triple from here before reality sets in but this company is not worth $400 billion. Come on.