Help me break my addiction to watching the Market / Worrying

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JimmyJammy

Re: Help me break my addiction to watching the Market / Worrying

Post by JimmyJammy »

Thanks for everyone's perspective! It's helping.

My impression is that, given how many people post on these forums, I'm not the only one checking my portfolio every day. :)

Today was day 1 of my new strategy. I'm attempting baby steps. This week, I'm only checking financial news from 9-9:30a eastern, and not looking at the portfolio until 3-4:15pm. And I'm not buying any more individual stocks. If anything, reducing (as I did today).

I plan to do this all week and then reflect this weekend.

I do want to retain paying attention to the market as a hobby as I enjoy keeping up with financial news and advising friends/family — it's a fun way to keep informed about what's going on in the world. My main goal is just to not spend too much time on it and just stick to a basic AA of index funds. Looks like I may change from 20% bond/cash to 25% bond/cash as well.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

A lot of good advice in this thread. I find it interesting that the wise owls on this board are always there to gloat in how disciplined they are with staying the course, not checking their investments frequently, not tinkering, etc. If I were in that camp I would have very little interest participating in an investing message board because my mind would be totally detached. Is it just the fun of coaching others that bring all you wise Sensei back to this board?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JimmyJammy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 pm
My impression is that, given how many people post on these forums, I'm not the only one checking my portfolio every day. :)
Yes, I check my portfolio every day. (And I look at the futures market overnight.)

No, I never make trades based upon the market performance of each day. I have a well-defined asset allocation approach, and I only make trades to rebalance.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt