time to invest cash reserves?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
feh

time to invest cash reserves?

Post by feh »

During the last 6 months of acrimony, we have not touched our portfolio. We rode the market down and back up.

The one thing we didn't do that we usually would: invest excess cash (that is, monies left over after maxing out our tax-advantaged accounts). So now, we have about $75K sitting in cash that we usually would not.

Time to put that money to work? Are the worst of the pandemic-induced gyrations over?
TomatoTomahto

Re: time to invest cash reserves?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I feel ya. I’m accumulating cash also, not by selling (haven’t), but because I’m resisting purchasing with spare cash. My autopilot tax advantaged purchases continue.

I wish i had a suggestion for you.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

No one knows. The best time to invest additional money would have been when the market was low during the March - May ish period. Had you stuck with your original plan you would have been buying shares at lower prices. If you didn’t do that because you were afraid of losing your jobs at that time then your emergency fund sounds like it needs beefing up.
"Your money is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the less you’ll have." - Gene Fama
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Huge mistake in abandoning your Boglehead ways by timing the market by not investing in your normal fashion. You would likely have come out ahead and even done better had you rebalanced.

This is the problem with being a market timer. You are now asking folks that have no idea where the market will be next week, month or year when you should invest. No one can know except in hindsight.

Cheers
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:58 am During the last 6 months of acrimony, we have not touched our portfolio. We rode the market down and back up.

The one thing we didn't do that we usually would: invest excess cash (that is, monies left over after maxing out our tax-advantaged accounts). So now, we have about $75K sitting in cash that we usually would not.

Time to put that money to work? Are the worst of the pandemic-induced gyrations over?
What do you intend to purchase with this cash?

Is that spend going to be 5 years or more in the future. If so, I would invest it accordingly. If you are a conservative investor, invest less of this cash in a stock index fund(s).

If that spend is less than 5 years in the future, then keep it in some sort of fixed income vehicle (or cash).

Market timing is a fool's errand.
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
corn18

Post by corn18 »

The best time to invest money is when you have it. The best time to withdraw money is when you need it. Pretty simple.
Don't do something, just stand there!
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

dogagility wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:13 am
feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:58 am During the last 6 months of acrimony, we have not touched our portfolio. We rode the market down and back up.

Is that spend going to be 5 years or more in the future. If so, I would invest it accordingly. If you are a conservative investor, invest less of this cash in a stock index fund(s).

If that spend is less than 5 years in the future, then keep it in some sort of fixed income vehicle (or cash).

The money would be invested according to our AA (60/40).

For all those chastising not to time the market: I'm familiar w/ the mantra. Given the unprecedented situation of the pandemic and that this represents about 2% of our portfolio I'm not feeling guilty about it.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

I am increasing my cash reserve if and when my portfolio goes up by X amount. And, I am taking a small portion of that cash to buy physical Gold/Silver. But, in my case, I am unemployed and I had reached my FI number. It is time to de-risk my portfolio.

I am updating my IPS with this new strategy.

KlangFool
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:20 am OP,

I am increasing my cash reserve if and when my portfolio goes up by X amount. And, I am taking a small portion of that cash to buy physical Gold/Silver. But, in my case, I am unemployed and I had reached my FI number. It is time to de-risk my portfolio.

KlangFool
If it makes any difference, we are FI, but still working part time (because I enjoy it).
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:23 am

KlangFool
If it makes any difference, we are FI, but still working part time (because I enjoy it).
Time to increase CASH and Gold/Silver.

It is a Risk versus Reward tradeoff. The gain is insignificant. The loss and threat of hyperinflation and deflation are significant.

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:26 am Time to increase CASH and Gold/Silver.

It is a Risk versus Reward tradeoff. The gain is insignificant. The loss and threat of hyperinflation and deflation are significant.

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
We don't hold precious metals, and I'm not interested in starting now.

If you are concerned about inflation, why would you hold cash?
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:19 am

For all those chastising not to time the market: I'm familiar w/ the mantra. Given the unprecedented situation of the pandemic and that this represents about 2% of our portfolio I'm not feeling guilty about it.
A few questions given your response:
1.) What were you hoping to accomplish by holding out 2% in cash when you are already FI and have 40% of your account in fairly stable bond investments?
2.) We are very much in the middle of a pandemic still, what is any better now than back in March?

You are basing your investing decisions on emotions driven purely by the movement of the stock market. No one has any idea what the market is going to do, we only expect a risk premium if we hold on and stay invested. By letting your emotions guide your investing decisions, you lost out of a great buying opportunity we now know in hindsight. Invest the cash today, realize you have a substantial amount of assets in bonds you can liquidate during market gyrations to prevent selling equities low, and quit worrying about the markets typical gyrations. The market will average one 40% decline every 4 years or so. Congrats on being FI!
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:44 am
KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:26 am Time to increase CASH and Gold/Silver.

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
We don't hold precious metals, and I'm not interested in starting now.

If you are concerned about inflation, why would you hold cash?

CASH for deflation.

Gold/Silver for hyperinflation.

<<We don't hold precious metals, and I'm not interested in starting now.>>

Then, your assumption is hyperinflation is not possible. I know that I know nothing. Hence, I keep some Gold/Silver as my hyperinflation insurance.

KlangFool
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:12 am CASH for deflation.

Then, your assumption is hyperinflation is not possible. I know that I know nothing. Hence, I keep some Gold/Silver as my hyperinflation insurance.

KlangFool
We hold TIPS.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:19 am

KlangFool
We hold TIPS.

feh,

And, how would that helps you in the case of hyperinflation? In my opinion, it does not.

KlangFool
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

I haven’t put excess money to work since March. No reason to do it now
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

With volatility concerns, why not adjust your IPS to a more conservative allocation permanently?
IE: 50/50 or 40/60??

j🌴
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

Silk McCue wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:12 am Huge mistake in abandoning your Boglehead ways by timing the market by not investing in your normal fashion. You would likely have come out ahead and even done better had you rebalanced.

This is the problem with being a market timer. You are now asking folks that have no idea where the market will be next week, month or year when you should invest. No one can know except in hindsight.

Cheers
+1
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Obviously if you haven't invested for the last six months, now isn't the time to even restart normal additions to investments much less invest some lump sum you've been accumulating. You're locked out of the market until you see the market drop below the lowest point it was at during the period you weren't investing those new excess funds. No exceptions. If that leaves you out of the market with those excess funds for the rest of you life, that's what was meant to be.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:30 am

KlangFool
We hold TIPS.

feh,

And, how would that helps you in the case of hyperinflation? In my opinion, it does not.

KlangFool
How does gold help in hyperinflation?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

corn18 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:09 am

KlangFool
We hold TIPS.

feh,

KlangFool
Gold/Silver will go up to 10X to 30X during hyperinflation.

KlangFool
corn18

Post by corn18 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:12 am

KlangFool
We hold TIPS.

feh,

KlangFool

KlangFool
How do you know that?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

corn18 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:13 am

We hold TIPS.

feh,

KlangFool

KlangFool
How do you know that?
History of past hyperinflation.

KlangFool
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Please provide data. The data that I found does not support your hypothesis. If you're talking about late 70's inflation, you have one data point. I am struggling to find any hyperinflation in 2000-2010.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

corn18 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:19 am Please provide data. The data that I found does not support your hypothesis. If you're talking about late 70's inflation, you have one data point. I am struggling to find any hyperinflation in 2000-2010.

corn18,

In summary, you do not believe hyperinflation that occurred in other countries besides the USA is possible in the USA. I know that I know nothing. Hence, everything is possible.

KlangFool
corn18

Post by corn18 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:27 am
corn18 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:19 am Please provide data. The data that I found does not support your hypothesis. If you're talking about late 70's inflation, you have one data point. I am struggling to find any hyperinflation in 2000-2010.

corn18,

In summary, you do not believe hyperinflation that occurred in other countries besides the USA is possible in the USA. I know that I know nothing. Hence, everything is possible.

KlangFool
Fair enough.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Lump sum it all in now so the market will drop for the rest of us, so we can buy at a discount!
Thanks in advance. :beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Go ahead and invest the excess cash now, in a taxable brokerage account using very tax-efficient stock index funds.

I don't know if gyrations are over, or not. It doesn't matter, cash will probably give you a negative real return net of inflation and taxes. Why stay with a negative real return?

Investing whenever you have money available to invest is the best policy in my opinion.
feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:23 amIf it makes any difference, we are FI, but still working part time (because I enjoy it).
My suggestion of the same, invest the cash. Your earned income makes it even more probable that cash will give a negative real return net of inflation and taxes.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
gmaynardkrebs

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

If you can save $75K in 6 months after maxing out you 401Ks, it doesn't matter what you do as far as I'm concerned.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

gmaynardkrebs wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:24 am

If you can save $75K in 6 months after maxing out you 401Ks, it doesn't matter what you do as far as I'm concerned.
?? Just because they have more money than most they shouldn't be good stewards of that money? :confused
gmaynardkrebs

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

sailaway wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:26 am

?? Just because they have more money than most they shouldn't be good stewards of that money? :confused
Thanks for the question. I meant they probably have no need to take risk if they can maintain that savings rate, not that they should be cavalier about it. Fools and their money are you know what, but I rather doubt these folks are fools. :)
AspireToRetire

Post by AspireToRetire »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:26 am

KlangFool

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
KlangFool,

You mentioned you are 60/40; but also mentioned you hold cash, gold, and silver which doesn’t equal 60/40 then. Do you mind clarifying (If you’re comfortable sharing of course)?

AspireToRetire
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

AspireToRetire wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:50 am

KlangFool

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
KlangFool,

You mentioned you are 60/40; but also mentioned you hold cash, gold, and silver which doesn’t equal 60/40 then. Do you mind clarifying (If you’re comfortable sharing of course)?

AspireToRetire

AspireToRetire,

CASH = 2 years of expense in Emergency Fund

Gold/Silver = A few thousand in physical Gold/Silver as hyperinflation insurance.

They ( CASH + Gold/Silver) are not part of my 60/40 AA. I do not rebalance them.

KlangFool
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

Didn't mean to give the impression our income is massive. A major portion of this sum is a once-a-year distribution from a business, which varies quite a bit.
AspireToRetire

Post by AspireToRetire »

Thanks KlangFool!
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Didn't mean to give the impression our income is massive. A major portion of this sum is a once-a-year distribution from a business, which varies quite a bit.
Your income is still massive this year. Any time you can save more than the median income, your income is probably massive, but certainly when you can save the median income above and beyond tax advantaged accounts.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

How old are you? Your job security situation? Your risk tolerance? Your stocks bonds allocation? Hard to answer if we don’t know anything. I never had big cash pile like this on any times. I consider if I cash enough to pay my bills ONLY. I would never make my cash seating and doing nothing.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Topic Author
feh

Post by feh »

Ed 2 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:51 pm

How old are you? Your job security situation? Your risk tolerance? Your stocks bonds allocation? Hard to answer if we don’t know anything. I never had big cash pile like this on any times. I consider if I cash enough to pay my bills ONLY. I would never make my cash seating and doing nothing.
We generally keep around $20K in cash (true cash, as in a savings account). That number is currently $110K.
Mode32

Post by Mode32 »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:05 am

Go ahead and invest the excess cash now, in a taxable brokerage account using very tax-efficient stock index funds.

I don't know if gyrations are over, or not. It doesn't matter, cash will probably give you a negative real return net of inflation and taxes. Why stay with a negative real return?

Investing whenever you have money available to invest is the best policy in my opinion.
feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:23 amIf it makes any difference, we are FI, but still working part time (because I enjoy it).
My suggestion of the same, invest the cash. Your earned income makes it even more probable that cash will give a negative real return net of inflation and taxes.
+1
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

KlangFool
25x expenses for your FI number?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lostdog wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:36 pm

KlangFool
Yes.
KlangFool
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm

KlangFool
Yes.
KlangFool
Grats. I'm happy for you. Everything worked out.
anoop

Post by anoop »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:07 pm

KlangFool

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
KlangFool,

AspireToRetire

AspireToRetire,

Gold/Silver = A few thousand in physical Gold/Silver as hyperinflation insurance.

They ( CASH + Gold/Silver) are not part of my 60/40 AA. I do not rebalance them.

KlangFool
Which money is used for day-to-day expenses now that you are retired? Are you pulling money out from the portfolio each month? Or are you spending down the EF and then replenishing it periodically by selling stocks/bonds?
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

feh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:56 pm
Ed 2 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:51 pm

We generally keep around $20K in cash (true cash, as in a savings account). That number is currently $110K.
If you think 110K in cash is excessive for you than this is the answer. Since you didn’t give us your basic information it is up to you . Remember W Buffett today is 90. He still invest like no one else. Many would say “ he can afford to loose, bluh bluh bluh... “. Anyways look at your timeframe and ask yourself “why”
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

It’s 2% if your portfolio. Just put it to work according to your asset allocation. Why the big deal?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

KlangFool
We hold TIPS.

feh,

KlangFool

KlangFool
If there's hyper-inflation, then gold/silver will hold steady. Well, it will probably go up a decent amount as people gravitate to it.

But it won't go up 10x-30x in REAL terms. It might go up 30x in price, but hyper-inflation will eat most of that away, and you'll be back to even with it.

So how much you have in gold/silver? 5%? 10%? Need a decent amount to really hedge against the rest of your portfolio becoming mostly worthless.

Or is the plan to have enough to survive a few years (and/or get out of the country) and start all over?
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
gmaynardkrebs

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

If you’re more comfortable with slightly less than your previous 60/40, it’s probably not going to make much difference anyway. Things are pretty unsettled out in the real world these days.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

HomerJ wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:06 pm

If there's hyper-inflation, then gold/silver will hold steady. Well, it will probably go up a decent amount as people gravitate to it.

But it won't go up 10x-30x in REAL terms. It might go up 30x in price, but hyper-inflation will eat most of that away, and you'll be back to even with it.

So how much you have in gold/silver? 5%? 10%? Need a decent amount to really hedge against the rest of your portfolio becoming mostly worthless.

Or is the plan to have enough to survive a few years (and/or get out of the country) and start all over?

HomerJ,

1) If there is hyperinflation, folks with Gold/Silver will be in better shape than those who don't.

2) As to how much Gold/Silver that someone should have, that is up to each individual to decide.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

anoop wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:49 pm
KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:07 pm

FYI. My AA is 60/40 too.

KlangFoo;
KlangFool,

AspireToRetire

AspireToRetire,

KlangFool
Which money is used for day-to-day expenses now that you are retired? Are you pulling money out from the portfolio each month? Or are you spending down the EF and then replenishing it periodically by selling stocks/bonds?

anoop,

The latter.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lostdog wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:43 pm
KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm

KlangFool
Yes.
KlangFool
Grats. I'm happy for you. Everything worked out.

Thanks.

KlangFool