Two funds for life portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mario2222

Two funds for life portfolio

Post by Mario2222 »

Paul merriman recommends two funds for life portfolio. a target date fund + small cap value.
Jim Collins recommends two funds portfolio. VTSAX & VTBLX. Any thoughts?
LiveSimple

Re: Two funds for life portfolio

Post by LiveSimple »

Personally I do prefer the JL Collins two fund portfolio than the Target date plus small cap fund.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Depends on where you are investing. All in an IRA those might work. But if you add in 401k, IRA, taxable, 529, HSA, it'd be hard to get by with just 2 funds.
tj

Post by tj »

That's the first I've heard of VTBEX as part of a two fund portfolio. Had to google it to see what fund it was.
PhooBooKhoo

Post by PhooBooKhoo »

personally, I would set a base of two funds like that, but use a portion of monthly investments towards solid companies with bright futures. Have some fun. Take on a little risk. After AAPL came out with the Ipod, I thought their future looked really good and invested $10,000. It's been an up and down ride, but has paid %3959 on that initial investment, and %844 on the total of that initial investment + all subsequent ones and dividends reinvested (AKA the cost basis). The USA is still a thriving, creating country with great ideas happening all the time. Doesn't hurt to risk a little once in awhile. But be smart. Vet each company. Research. If it has brick and mortar, go visit.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

That depends on your views on (1) international stocks and (2) small-cap value.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

My two funds for life: VTSAX and VTIAX.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas »

I like the concept. It backtests well. We have a slight value tilt.

That doesn’t mean it will work over any particular timeframe or my (your) investing lifetime. Paul Merriman says the same thing.