Knowing how much you own of a single stock in various mutual funds?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
lgb

Knowing how much you own of a single stock in various mutual funds?

Post by lgb »

Just curious - is there some sort of website or way to know how much of an individual stock you might own of say Tesla or Apple or fill in the blank stock - across your portfolio, if you're invested in multiple mutual funds, where those funds potentially own certain amounts of investment in those same companies?

Some could say the own 25 shares of Apple Stock because they literally purchased 25 shares, whereas I know I probably own 'some amount' of shares within my various mutual funds, but have no idea if that is 1 or a fraction of a share of 1 or 20 shares etc.....
retired@50

Re: Knowing how much you own of a single stock in various mutual funds?

Post by retired@50 »

lgb wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:42 am Just curious - is there some sort of website or way to know how much of an individual stock you might own of say Tesla or Apple or fill in the blank stock - across your portfolio, if you're invested in multiple mutual funds, where those funds potentially own certain amounts of investment in those same companies?

Some could say the own 25 shares of Apple Stock because they literally purchased 25 shares, whereas I know I probably own 'some amount' of shares within my various mutual funds, but have no idea if that is 1 or a fraction of a share of 1 or 20 shares etc.....
You can typically make these sorts of calculations for index funds by downloading the relevant index and its contents.

For example the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund (VTSAX) uses the CRSP Total US Market Index as its target index.

So, the CRSP website will allow you download the list of stocks that are included in the index.

See links.
Vanguard: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vtsax

Click on the link near the "Constituents" label in the table.
CRSP: http://www.crsp.org/products/investment ... rket-index

Once downloaded, the spreadsheet will contain a "Weight" column, which is a percentage of the fund that is used to buy the given stock name. So if you own $100,000 of the fund, and 3% is in Apple, then you own $3,000 worth of Apple. Given the current trading price you could calculate the number of shares.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Topic Author
lgb

Post by lgb »

Ah ok - so each mutual fund might have some sort of thing like what you linked to. There isn't like an aggregator website source like Morningstar or something else. You can't pull up your Mutual Fund - example PRGIX TRowe Growth and Income and go "well, I suspect this owns shares of Apple (not sure), punch in the Ticker PRGIX and it returns that indeed it does invest in Apple and possibly what % or something like that?

I assume this type of info exists off of TRowe's site as an example or in the Prospectus report, but I have stuff across more than 1 custodian and/or mutual fund.
KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs »

Personal Capital has such a feature if you're willing to log in with all your accounts.
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH
ccf

Post by ccf »

KingRiggs wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:10 am Personal Capital has such a feature if you're willing to log in with all your accounts.
I don't think that it goes deeper than the "holding" level (ie. it lists VT for me) at least, I don't see a way to see now much Amazon or Tencent or whatever exposure I have... I wish it had this because I'd look at it any time I feel individual stock FOMO coming on.
Topic Author
lgb

Post by lgb »

that's exactly why I'm bringing it up... you see an individual stock increase wildly and it would just be interesting across your portfolio to loosely now 'I've got like X shares of that actually'.... (you didn't really miss out, which I know inherently is the purpose of the Mutual Fund, but it is not actually easily quantified as to how much you might own of wildly increasing individual stock)

Just kind of amazing that it doesn't exist (easily I should clarify). Not that I've thought through the monetary possibilities to have someone pay for this information (will look back at this in 5 years and smack myself), but it seems like it could exist no different than the site you led me to 'kind of' has the information/data available..
hnd

Post by hnd »

many brokerages have an "xray" feature that will show you how much of your portfolio is X stock. TDA does it for me. I can even add in other brokerages.
Topic Author
lgb

Post by lgb »

KingRiggs wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:10 am Personal Capital has such a feature if you're willing to log in with all your accounts.
I've used this before to aggregate my portfolio, but not actually have it 'linked' to actual account numbers...just manually inputted the holdings. It does a great job of giving you an overall visual of your Cash, Investment and Liabilities (if you have any) and other Assets. For those holdings that are actual Ticker Symbols it keeps track of your values (if you don't actually invest more $ per month - I presume/expect linking would allow you to account for the fluctuations and also your actual real amounts if you're continued to add and remove money to/from the investments - and maybe it then gives the ability to search like I'm mentioning - if it does that would be a feather in Personal Capitals hat for sure in my book, still just not sold on sharing that account information with a 3rd party however)
ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

hnd wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:30 am many brokerages have an "xray" feature that will show you how much of your portfolio is X stock. TDA does it for me. I can even add in other brokerages.
Morningstar X-Ray.

May be able to access it through your local library website if not a subscriber.
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Morningstar x-ray does this wonderfully in a tab called “ stock intersection”
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Topic Author
lgb

Post by lgb »

happysteward wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm Morningstar x-ray does this wonderfully in a tab called “ stock intersection”
Excellent! - This is 'exactly' what I was looking for and is indeed a great visual to see across multiple Mutual Funds you might be invested in - what percentage is going to which individual stocks across multiple Funds and if you were to have actual real values inputted in morningstar it even shows how much money you have invested in each Individual company.

For example I learned tonight - across all my Investments - I seem to own the most in Amazon, then Microsoft, then Facebook as examples in that order - and it shows which Funds I'm invested in that contains those individual stocks and it show how much money exactly is invested in each stock for each particular Fund and how much money is in each stock in total across all the Funds. Visually showing the overlap.

I knew previously I probably owned these stocks of course, but no idea of how much money in each of those companies for sure, nor which funds I'm invested in actual contained those stocks.

As I suspected such a utility should exist and from the source that I thought 'should' have something like this (morningstar) and one of my Custodians gives me free access to Morningstar with the X-Ray functionality available - ...just didn't know where to look exactly. This community is fantastic!

:sharebeer :happy
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

happysteward wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm Morningstar x-ray does this wonderfully in a tab called “ stock intersection”
That's about the only thing still useful on that site.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

Interactive Brokers Portfolio Analyst "Fund Parser" feature does this... obviously you'd need to be a client.