Epiphany time

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Jerry476

Epiphany time

Post by Jerry476 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 am

Just had an epiphany. Vanguard should bring to market a new fund which would be comprised of 48% Total Stock Market Index, 12% Total International Stock Market Index and 40% Total Bond Index. It would be named Vanguard Bogle. All that’s needed is buy-off from Taylor and some smart kid at Vanguard running with ball. Thoughts?

Triple digit golfer

Re: Epiphany time

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 am

Bogle didn't advocate international investing. I would call it the Balanced Taylor Index.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:58 am

Jerry476 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 am
Just had an epiphany. Vanguard should bring to market a new fund which would be comprised of 48% Total Stock Market Index, 12% Total International Stock Market Index and 40% Total Bond Index. It would be named Vanguard Bogle. All that’s needed is buy-off from Taylor and some smart kid at Vanguard running with ball. Thoughts?
The Bogle family heirs should surely have some say in whether Mr. Bogle´s name is used in this manner. If he were still alive, his consent would certainly be required. Since he is no longer alive, I believe there would be a duty to consult with the rightful heirs of his legacy. Certainly an ethical/moral duty, if not a legal duty.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:02 pm

I would wager that a sizable percentage of Vanguard customers have no idea who John
Bogle is/was.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 am
Bogle didn't advocate international investing. I would call it the Balanced Taylor Index.
I agree that Bogle was extremely lukewarm towards international investing. He said it was certainly not necessary for folks living in the US but if you *wanted* to do it, it was okay if you kept it to no more than 20%.

Vanguard has been more positive towards international, saying it should be ¨at least¨ 20%.

And Taylor has taken that meeting of the minds at 20%, so I agree that Balanced Taylor would be more appropriate, and am grateful that Taylor is still among us to give his consent, if he would like to do so.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:05 pm

Vanguard already has Lifestrategy Moderate Growth that pretty closely matches the overall allocation, albeit with a greater allocation to international, including international bonds. Given Vanguard’s current stance on international (in favor), that’s probably as close as you will get to the ol’ three funder.

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 am
+1 ^This
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

Topic Author
Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:05 pm

Granted, Jack wasn’t an advocate for international investment. I’m a two-funder myself. However, he was accepting of a maximum of 20% in international. I’m guessing, based on listening to his daughters address the last Bogleheads Conference, that his family would appreciate the gesture. Having said that, Taylor Larimore would work just as well.

Post by 000 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Who would invest in this instead of using separate funds? How much effect (for good or ill) can 12% in international really have?

Topic Author
Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:20 pm

As it turns out, that 12% is one fifth of the total allotment for equities. That represents the minimum recommended by Vanguard and the maximum recommended by the late John Bogle, the founder and former CEO of Vanguard. The idea is to keep investing simple and easy, as well as cost-effective and efficient.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:34 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.