Is it possible to disable online access to Vanguard?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Blue456

Is it possible to disable online access to Vanguard?

Post by Blue456 »

For those who have Vanguard, I have few questions.

Does Vanguard allow to disable online access? I would like to buy Vanguard Total World Stock (VT), set up automatic investment from external checking account and lock out online access. I am mostly worried about security and I would like everything to be done offline.

Also is it possible to have tax documents mailed?
livesoft

Re: Is it possible to disable online access to Vanguard?

Post by livesoft »

One can lock themselves out of most online accounts by repeated attempts to login with the wrong password, so that's probably possible. That's probably a good way to go with places that answer their phones 24/7, but Vanguard is not one of those places.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

It is possible to have tax documents mailed.

Not sure about completely disabling online access. If possible, with the direction things are headed, it seems like this would make it increasingly difficult and frustrating to get anything done.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Not sure I would want to do that. I guess I could always enter the password wrong multiple times and be forced out!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:44 am It is possible to have tax documents mailed.

Not sure about completely disabling online access. If possible, with the direction things are headed, it seems like this would make it increasingly difficult and frustrating to get anything done.
How do you re-enable online access? What proof does Vanguard require to validate your identity?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:02 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:44 am It is possible to have tax documents mailed.

How do you re-enable online access? What proof does Vanguard require to validate your identity?
Sorry. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't know how to do this or whether it is even possible. I was just considering that if it WERE possible, it might cause more headaches than you anticipate.

Or are you just taking about purposely getting yourself locked out?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I would personally like it if Vanguard offered this feature. I want to "opt out" of all electronic access. This would provide an extra measure of fraud protection.

To re-enable, I am willing to have to travel to a physical Vanguard office, and provide passport, paper statements, whatever to prove to them that I am actually me.

I don't want for it to be possible to re-enable it over the phone.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 am

Sorry. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't know how to do this or whether it is even possible. I was just considering that if it WERE possible, it might cause more headaches than you anticipate.

I want all electronic access and preferably phone access fully disabled with the only way to access my account via going to physical location or going through public notary or some other secure way.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am
So much for security.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:11 am To re-enable, I am willing to have to travel to a physical Vanguard office.
That is what I am looking for.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Silverado wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:23 am
So much for security.
You need physical access to my mailbox. Feels secure enough.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:19 am

I want all electronic access and preferably phone access fully disabled with the only way to access my account via going to physical location or going through public notary or some other secure way.
None of what you said is secure. Shawshank Redemption taught me that. Fake IDs are so cheap.

No matter what, your accounts will have electronic access. The CSR in the physical location will be on a computer accessing your info on some server via a network.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:25 am
So much for security.
Or any place in the chain.USPS likely not adding security since they are broke.

But call Vanguard and ask. Bet you can disable it. Might be terrible surprise when you walk in and find zero balance and the thief has a long head start.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Silverado wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am
Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:25 am
So much for security.
Or any place in the chain.USPS likely not adding security since they are broke.

But call Vanguard and ask. Bet you can disable it. Might be terrible surprise when you walk in and find zero balance and the thief has a long head start.
You can monitor monthly statements no?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Vanguard does not have client-accessible physical locations. They have a headquarters in PA and call centers in NC and AZ.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am
Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:11 am To re-enable, I am willing to have to travel to a physical Vanguard office.
That is what I am looking for.
Ummm, you two do know Vanguard has very few offices. Are you both near one?

Seems a major overkill with a ginormous amout of aggrevation to me, but do what you gotta do.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am Also is it possible to have tax documents mailed?
Why do you believe US Mail to be more secure than downloading a tax document? There are different vulnerabilities. I get someone else's mail in my mail box at least a few times per year. Have never had anyone make an unauthorized transaction in my Vanguard account (or any online account for that matter). Vulnerability at Vanguard are insider threats from rogue employees or social engineering to gain privileged access such as recent Twitter hack. Disabling web login protects from neither.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

You can set up your account so you can only log on from "recognized" computers... i.e. computers that have logged onto your account before.

I assume it uses cookies for this.

Not sure how secure that is.

But someone stealing your username/password would also have to use your own computer to log on.

Although I guess malware on your PC that steals your password could also probably steal those cookies.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 am You can set up your account so you can only log on from "recognized" computers... i.e. computers that have logged onto your account before.

But someone stealing your username/password would also have to use your own computer to log on.

Although I guess malware on your PC that steals your password could also probably steal those cookies.
Unfortunately, the Vanguard 2FA is weak, relying on SMS.

I get that most people don’t want this. But some do, I wish they would offer it.

To me, it would be worth the inconvenience. I don’t mind making investments by mail. And in the 20+ years I’ve been with vanguard, I’ve never made a withdrawal. I specfically want for it to be very hard and inconvenient to make withdrawals.

I’m personally willing to drive to Valley Forge some day in the future to get my money out.
Last edited by Normchad on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:11 am I would personally like it if Vanguard offered this feature. I want to "opt out" of all electronic access. This would provide an extra measure of fraud protection.
I’m not at all sure that relying on the USPS makes one less susceptible to fraud than relying on an encrypted website.

Seems like identity theft and mail fraud were happening before the emergence of online brokers.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

vineviz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am
Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:11 am I would personally like it if Vanguard offered this feature. I want to "opt out" of all electronic access. This would provide an extra measure of fraud protection.
I’m not at all sure that relying on the USPS makes one less susceptible to fraud than relying on an encrypted website.

Seems like identity theft and mail fraud were happening before the emergence of online brokers.
It doesn’t 100% prevent it. But I think it makes it much less likely. Certainly people won’t come from overseas to try to do this when they have millions of other accounts they can carpet bomb electronically. It eliminates some forms of attacks. So I’d have the same mail/CSR exposure that you do, but I would not have the electronic exposure.

But again the question is, should Vanguard offer this? I don’t see why they wouldn’t.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am
HomerJ wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 am You can set up your account so you can only log on from "recognized" computers... i.e. computers that have logged onto your account before.

I get that most people don’t want this. But some do, I wish they would offer it.

To me, it would be worth the inconvenience. I don’t mind making investments by mail. And in the 20+ years I’ve been with vanguard, I’ve never made a withdrawal. I specfically want for it to be very hard and inconvenient to make withdrawals.

I’m personally willing to drive to Valley Forge some day in the future to get my money out.
Not my account. I get a phone call from Vanguard for my 2FA number.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

beernutz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am

Not my account. I get a phone call from Vanguard for my 2FA number.
You beat me to it!

Phone call on my ooma VoIP line gives me the code.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Would the account be less secure if you can't check it real time and not receive electronic confirmations of activity?

I know people that have had credit card fraud last for months because they never checked the paper statements. (Vs. catching fraud instantly with real time transaction alerts.)
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am
vineviz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am

It doesn’t 100% prevent it. But I think it makes it much less likely. Certainly people won’t come from overseas to try to do this when they have millions of other accounts they can carpet bomb electronically. It eliminates some forms of attacks. So I’d have the same mail/CSR exposure that you do, but I would not have the electronic exposure.

But again the question is, should Vanguard offer this? I don’t see why they wouldn’t.
I have no mail exposure on any of my investment accounts because I only use electronic access for those.

Yesterday my neighbors found a package addressed to me in their bushes. My emails don’t accidentally get routed to random strangers.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

It sounds as if you may not have linked a bank account to Vanguard yet. I may be misrembering, but I think that this entailed more than a little effort. You may already have a bit more protection for your primary concern than you think.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Back in the days before electronic access, I believe that the "bad actors" would first update the mailing address before draining the account. You would be waiting for a confirmation or statement which would never arrive. I believe it is now standard practice to send a notification of an address change via snail mail to the "old" address, but not sure if Vanguard does that?
AAA

Post by AAA »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:19 amI want all electronic access and preferably phone access fully disabled with the only way to access my account via going to physical location or going through public notary or some other secure way.
I'm not sure there are physical locations for customers. If so, they are few and far between. In any case, if you have access to one can you go there to set up the account without ever establishing electronic access?
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

OP: Seems to me like that doing so will put you on a path to getting your account listed dormant and escheated about as quickly as possible.

Unless you are using 12345 for a password or other as simple as that, no one using the online access screen will be able to break in. Why? 3 or 4 strikes, and you are out - Access Denied.

To break a weaker password, you need an offline - read that stolen, password table - where one can work against weakly encrypted password data, where there is NO watchdog counter tracking failed attempts, and do so at a rate of millions of trys per second. The recent headline about Twitter was an inside job, and even then only a couple hundred accounts are extracted.

As others have posted, any CSR has the potential to move money. But to where? And how often, And there are checks and balances. When I move money at Schwab into the Grand-kid's UTMA accounts, I get a snail mail letter confirmation of the transaction because they are dis-similar accounts.

I think you are way over worrying this online access risk.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Vanguard's physical offices are located at
Charlotte, North Carolina
Scottsdale, Arizona
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Washington, D.C.
According to
https://about.vanguard.com/who-we-are/fast-facts/

The Phoenix Chamber of Commerce says over 2000 people work there. Has anyone actually gone to the AZ campus? Has the AZ Bogleheads group had any Vanguard attendees?
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I disabled web access to my accounts at Vanguard and Fidelity many years ago. I don't use the web to do financial transactions primarily for security reasons. I also had both Vanguard and Fidelity disable distributions for security reasons. I have a Fidelity office nearby, so I can go there and sign a form to allow distributions. I believe I will have to do it via mail for Vanguard when needed. I sleep better at night.

Post by 000 »

This will not increase security.

Also Vanguard does not have automatic investments in ETFs. You would need to use the mutual fund version of VT.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

You can increase your security at Vanguard by using voice verification, which makes it harder for someone to call them and pretend to be you.
earflop

Post by earflop »

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 am Would the account be less secure if you can't check it real time and not receive electronic confirmations of activity?

I know people that have had credit card fraud last for months because they never checked the paper statements. (Vs. catching fraud instantly with real time transaction alerts.)
This, so much this. I would argue that having online access is more secure, not less secure. It allows you to monitor your account much more regularly and immediately take action if something nefarious happens.
CardioMD

Post by CardioMD »

I can’t imagine why anyone would do this. Unless you’re leaving your phone/iPad/computer open at a biker bar you really don’t have much to worry about. The ability to check your accounts in an instant will help you spot trouble. Even saving passwords to your keychain is pretty secure as someone has to physically have your device and password to access.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
illumination

Post by illumination »

Someone can always turn online access back on even if you were able to shut it off for now.

I agree with the idea that checking on it on a regular basis is probably the best defense you can possibly have and you're cutting that off.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

CardioMD wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 pm I can’t imagine why anyone would do this. Unless you’re leaving your phone/iPad/computer open at a biker bar you really don’t have much to worry about. The ability to check your accounts in an instant will help you spot trouble. Even saving passwords to your keychain is pretty secure as someone has to physically have your device and password to access.
I can’t imagine a good reason either.

Anyway, you might be best off by understanding Vanguard’s Guarantee.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/S ... ontent.jsp
DrChronzworth

Post by DrChronzworth »

You definitely used to be able to do this and you would have to send in a notarized form in order to restore your online access. I would give them a call on Monday and confirm.

That being said, with Vanguard moving away from paper forms I wonder if they will allow this feature in the future.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am For those who have Vanguard, I have few questions.

Does Vanguard allow to disable online access? I would like to buy Vanguard Total World Stock (VT), set up automatic investment from external checking account and lock out online access. I am mostly worried about security and I would like everything to be done offline.

I find that their transaction confirmation emails a great way to make sure there is no fraud. That and a 25 character alpha numeric with special characters and upper lower case password in an encrypted password manager should make you as safe as can be.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

This can be easily done.

Set up security to allow access from recognized devices only. Sign out of Vangaurd site, clear cookies from your PC.

If you need to access your account you would have to call in a verify your identity.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
increment

Post by increment »

Invest4lt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 am I believe it is now standard practice to send a notification of an address change via snail mail to the "old" address, but not sure if Vanguard does that?
Yes, they did so for my address change last month.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'm not sure why you want to do this, or if it is even possible. But perhaps email or phone call to them would answer your question. I assume you'd have to either visit office, or use a notary and send papers by mail.

It might be better to select a very very secure password. I suggest

DE@-bTnH2vFesg2JxQd*hE4oA!Mwi4swiVVbQ*Pg7w

You might want to make it similar, but different ;)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Thank you everyone. I have not made up my mind on using Vanguard but this thread has been very helpful.
pragmatist

Post by pragmatist »

If you send Vanguard a letter in the mail stating that you want to permanently disable withdrawals and sales, they will put a restriction on your account that reads: Universal Sells and withdrawals Account Name—Type of Account—Account Number Will not expire

This indeed makes selling or withdrawing impossible, though you are still able to buy with funds from a linked bank or funds that are in the settlement fund. They require a notarized letter to remove the restriction. You can do this on one account and leave the others unrestricted. I suppose one could combine this with disabling online access, but why bother?
SxSW

Post by SxSW »

MJS wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm Vanguard's physical offices are located at
Scottsdale, Arizona
Washington, D.C.

Has anyone actually gone to the AZ campus? Has the AZ Bogleheads group had any Vanguard attendees?
You can make an appointment to meet with a rep on campus, but why would you want to?
MJS

Post by MJS »

SxSW wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:56 pm
MJS wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm Vanguard's physical offices are located at
Scottsdale, Arizona
Washington, D.C.

Has anyone actually gone to the AZ campus? Has the AZ Bogleheads group had any Vanguard attendees?
You can make an appointment to meet with a rep on campus, but why would you want to?
As the header of this thread says: in order to disable online access to one's account. The OP knows what they want, and helping them achieve it is part of this forum. 🤷
rossington

Post by rossington »

If it is a "recognized" computer do you know if the immediate code to your phone is still sent?
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
rossington

Post by rossington »

Blue456 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:25 am Thank you everyone. I have not made up my mind on using Vanguard but this thread has been very helpful.
Also you may not know but Vanguard will set up multiple ways to notify you immediately of non-automatic transactions.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 am This can be easily done.

Set up security to allow access from recognized devices only. Sign out of Vangaurd site, clear cookies from your PC.

If you need to access your account you would have to call in a verify your identity.
Vanguard uses something other than cookies. I delete cookies after every login and can login without 2FA. They are the only ones that I have found where device recognition works without cookies. If I use a different computer or change ISP’s with the same computer, it goes to 2FA.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Given all your data is an the same database with other clients, makes little difference if you personally have online access.

Just use a very long complicated pwd, and sign up for a google voice number for text messages. This will give you excellent security.

Finally, I hope you realize that the only thing you can do online is get money sent to your bank or a check to your home. Any changes to banks or address would be confirmed with you by mail.

You are really worrying about nothing rather than following simple security protocols.