Buying Vanguard funds through Chase

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
roccodean

Buying Vanguard funds through Chase

Post by roccodean »

I am a chase private client.
Currently, I make monthly contributions to my vanguard account into various ETFs (60/40 stock / bond split). I am contemplating moving them to my chase brokerage in kind and contributing in the future to the same vanguard funds but doing so In my chase account. I want to do this to 1) make life easier 2) less likely for me to try to time the market (the chase account will be my don’t touch account) 3) keep my chase private client status without keeping too much in savings (which gets 0.10% only ).
After speaking w chase , they say there will be no extra fees and it will be exactly like investing in vanguard account. Anything I’m missing ?
dbr

Re: Buying Vanguard funds through Chase

Post by dbr »

You might get better customer service from Chase and not deal with Vanguard at all. You are all ETFs so Vanguard ETFs at Chase are not different from all other ETFs, stocks, etc. I assume there are no transaction costs to buy and sell.

It is sometimes a consideration that one might not have all one's assets at only one organization given a rare possibility of temporary interruptions in case of IT glitches, handling possible fraud on your account, etc. If you also have a local bank with some money in it that might be a good idea -- also a credit card or two that is not with Chase.
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

I switched to chase you invest from vanguard. Vanguard's tax lot organization when it comes to selling specific lots is a nightmare. I actually have been able to buy ETF's with dividends 1 day SOONER in my chase account than in my vanguard account. That shocked me. In addition to direct linkage to my checking, free wires, ATM's, lots branch locations, great credit cards it is really all around very solid. Only thing that compares would be merrill edge.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I've used both Chase You Invest and (as part of CPC) the "full-service" brokerage. I haven't noticed any differences between the two, just make sure with the latter that you're not under any AUM arrangement; aside from that, no fees and buying/selling Vanguard ETFs is easy.

Some people have complained about limitations with cost basis/spec ID, so you may want to do more research on that if that's important to you (I don't recall all the details).
lakpr

Re: Buying Vanguard ETFs through Chase

Post by lakpr »

Just a nitpick -- shouldn't the title of this thread say "Buying Vanguard ETFs through Chase" rather than funds? OP, are you able to fix the title?
(I did it for this reply)
Topic Author
roccodean

Post by roccodean »

How about vanguard mutual funds ? Any issues buying though chase ?
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I think until they support spec ID properly you'd want to avoid them for taxable accounts, unless you want tax headaches down the road.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

roccodean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 am How about vanguard mutual funds ? Any issues buying though chase ?
I purchased Vanguard Global Minimum Volatility Fund in my Chase YouInvest account with no problems. I’m planning on transferring my Vanguard taxable account to my taxable Chase YouInvest account. Since I don’t have any earned income, my new money investments must be made in a taxable account; and it is easier to transfer funds from my Chase bank accounts to my Chase YouInvest account. My Vanguard accounts are on the old mutual fund platform, and I have no plan to convert my IRA accounts to the brokerage platform until forced to do so. By 2022, Vanguard may have actually enhanced the brokerage platform and worked out the bugs.

DMW
02nz

Post by 02nz »

roccodean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 am How about vanguard mutual funds ? Any issues buying though chase ?
There's a fee I believe for most if not all Vanguard mutual funds.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

texasfight wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:27 am I switched to chase you invest from vanguard. Vanguard's tax lot organization when it comes to selling specific lots is a nightmare.
I will disagree. Vanguard tax lot organization is quite serviceable and easy to use. But is TDAmeritrade, WellsTrade, and others.

I think that many things that people are unfamiliar with might get the "nightmare" label undeservedly.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:39 pm
There's a fee I believe for most if not all Vanguard mutual funds.
I didn’t pay any fee and didn’t notice any fee associated with Vanguard funds.

DMW
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:42 pm
texasfight wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:27 am I switched to chase you invest from vanguard. Vanguard's tax lot organization when it comes to selling specific lots is a nightmare.
I will disagree. Vanguard tax lot organization is quite serviceable and easy to use. But is TDAmeritrade, WellsTrade, and others.

I think that many things that people are unfamiliar with might get the "nightmare" label undeservedly.
I remember I could not export it to excel, and sort by $ tax paid/$ value of holding, which I can do at chase
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

arf30 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 am I think until they support spec ID properly you'd want to avoid them for taxable accounts, unless you want tax headaches down the road.
I had issues initially, but now it is sorted out.