Total Newb-need advice on my Ameriprise conundrum

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Total Newb-need advice on my Ameriprise conundrum

Post by BooneDocks11 »

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. Im a total newb to personal finance and investing but am trying to learn as much as I can. I am a recently graduated physician and now find myself with a total lack of financial preparedness. My wife and I made the mistake of rushing into a partnership with a financial advisor because we didn't know what to do with our income. As I attempt to educate myself, I realize I do not wish to be in such a relationship based off of the tenants of this forum.

I have attempted my very best to adhere to the posting guidelines:

Emergency funds: 6m

Debt
Cars: 30k (2.85% ) 21k (2.5% )
Mortgage: 434k (4.125%)

Tax Filing Status: married jointly

Tax Rate: 37% Federal, 5.25% State

State of Residence: NC

Ages:34 (his and hers)

Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds
Desired International allocation: 40% of stocks

Current portfolio size:
mid 6 figures

Current retirement assets

Taxable

Ameriprise Active DF MOD AGG (percent of total portfolio = 27%)
BSIIX BLACKROCK STRATEGIC INCOME OPPTYS INSTL CL
CMIEX MULTI MANAGER INTL EQUITY STRATEGIES INSTL CL
CTRZX MULTI MANAGER TOTAL RETURN BOND STRATEGIES CL Z
CZMGX MULTI MANAGER GROWTH STRATEGIES CL Z
CZMSX MULTI MANAGER SMALL CAP EQUITY STRATEGIES CL Z
CZMVX MULTI MANAGER VALUE STRATEGIES CL Z
DEUIX DELAWARE U S GROWTH INSTL CL
EMGNX WELLS FARGO EMERGING MARKETS EQUITY INSTL CL
MEIIX MFS VALUE CL I
MINIX MFS INTL INTRINSIC VALUE CL I
OTCIX MFS MID CAP GROWTH CL I
WFMIX Wells fargo special mid cap value instl CL

Ameriprise SPS advantage (25% of total portfolio)
AMGN AMGEN INC
AVB AVALONBAY COMMNTYS INC
AVGO BROADCOM INC
BBY BEST BUY COMPANY INC
BCE BCE INC NEW
BMY BRISTOL MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY
CMCSA COMCAST CORP CL A NEW
CSCO CISCO SYSTEMS INC
CVS CVS HEALTH CORP
DAL DELTA AIRLINES INC NEW
EXC EXELON CORP
HD HOME DEPOT INC
INTC INTEL CORP
JPM JPMORGAN CHASE & CO
KSS KOHLS CORP
MDT MEDTRONIC PLC
MPC MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP
NEE NEXTERA ENERGY INC
PEG PUBLIC SERVICE ENTERPRISE GROUP INC
PNC PNC FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP INC
PRU PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC
PSA PUBLIC STORAGE INC
RF REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP NEW
TOT TOTAL S A SPON ADR
TSN TYSON FOODS INC CL A
TXN TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC
UNP UNION PACIFIC CORP
UPS UNITED PARCEL SERVICE INC CL B
WM WASTE MANAGEMENT INC DEL

His current 401k (13% of total portfolio)
13% American Funds Growth Fund of America (AGTHX) (1.41%)
Non-elective safe harbor

His 401k at previous employer (6% of total portfolio)
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2050 CF-C (JTSCX) (1.46%)

Her 401K- (20% of total portfolio)
Vanguard Target 2050 (VFIFX)- 0.15%
Vanguard Target 2025 (VTTVX)- 0.13%
AF Europack growthr6 (RERGX) – 0.46%
CBRE unitized stock

His Roth IRA at Vanguard (4% of total portfolio)
Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 (VFIFX)

Her Roth IRA at Vanguard (2% of total portfolio)

HSA at Health Savings Administrators (8% of total portfolio)
100% Cash-intend to invest and use as IRA

Questions
1. How and when to get out of my investments with Ameriprise? I have considered utilizing Vanguard’s personal advisor services until my financial acumen has improved, or simply utilizing the three fund portfolio method.
2. What to do with wife’s and my 401Ks from our previous employers?
3. Should we refinance to a 15 year mortgage with lower interest rate or simply pay more each month towards the principal?
snailderby

Re: Total Newb-need advice on my Ameriprise conundrum

Post by snailderby »

Welcome to the forum!

1. Are all of your Ameriprise accounts taxable accounts? If so, the first step I would take is to initiate an in-kind transfer of your Ameriprise accounts to to a low-cost brokerage like Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, or E*TRADE (just to name a few). This will save you hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in advisor fees every year.

Then I would determine the cost basis and unrealized gains and losses for every stock or high-cost mutual fund that you have transferred over and post that information here, so other posters can help you determine whether it makes (tax) sense to sell everything and switch to a three-fund portfolio right away. There's no need to rush this part of the process before you have a solid investing plan.

3. If you're sure that you can---and want to---pay off your mortgage in 15 years, there's no reason not to pursue a no-cost refinance where the lender provides enough credits to cover all the costs of the refinance (Sections D + E in the loan estimate). There's a good chance you can cut your 4.125% down to somewhere in the sub-3.00% range if you shop around. See viewtopic.php?t=289559.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:15 pm
Questions
1. How and when to get out of my investments with Ameriprise? I have considered utilizing Vanguard’s personal advisor services until my financial acumen has improved, or simply utilizing the three fund portfolio method.

Tax considerations took me five years to get away from Ameriprise; patience may be appropriate for you too. PAS gives you nothing that application of 3 fund doesn't already do. If you intend to learn and take an interest, you don't need to pay someone to hold your hand. Having a high income behooves you to learn about taxes in your unique situation which is made most efficient by simulating future years with current tax software like TurboTax.

2. What to do with wife’s and my 401Ks from our previous employers?

Roll them into Vanguard IRA's.

3. Should we refinance to a 15 year mortgage with lower interest rate or simply pay more each month towards the principal?

If future cash flow will not be an issue, refinance into a 15. You are way overpaying for your mortgage now. Your pile is not big enough yet to pay it off, which would be something to consider down the road.
The bottom line is that index funds allow you to capture for yourself the expense of professional management. That 1% saves you $5k on your current $500k portfolio the first year and $230k after 30 years if the current portfolio grows at 2% per year. IOW's your portfolio after 30 years with Ameriprise (or whomever) would have to be $230k larger to break even versus the 3 fund.

The sooner you get away from high fees the better.
Last edited by Cyclesafe on Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Pay off the car loans ASAP.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Refinance that mortgage no matter what else you do. Keep it 30 years if you want, but you can take that 4.15% down at least 1 full percentage point without paying anything. That'll save you maybe $300 a month in interest alone. Or go get a 15 year at 2.5% or less.

One of those car loans can probably be paid for simply with savings from refinancing the mortgage if you think about it that way.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

As a former Ameriprise client, I'll share my path toward leaving them (now at least 10 years ago). One good news is that, unless I missed it, they haven't yet sold you an annuity. That added a little more complexity to my leaving.

1. First, decide where you want to centralize your investments. Mine are now at Vanguard, but you can choose somewhere else (Fidelity, etc.). I'll use Vanguard in my guide here.
2. Next gather the list of all your Ameriprise investments -- name and symbol.
3. Call Vanguard and speak with someone in the Account Transfers department.
4. Identify if there are any of your investments that Vanguard cannot hold in an account. They should be able to hold all individual stocks and most of your mutual funds, but there may be some that they are not set up to hold. I'm not sure if they can handle all those Institutional Class funds you have, but hopefully they can.
5. Print out everything you can from the Ameriprise website -- statements, cost basis details, etc. You may need it later.
6. If there are any investments that cannot be transferred to Vanguard, you'll need to decide if you want to sell them or leave them with Ameriprise for now. If you sell them, you need to be aware of the tax consequences, if any. If you want a total break with Ameriprise, I'd just sell them and pay the taxes on any gains.
7. Have Vanguard initiate the transfer of all remaining holdings from Ameriprise.
8. Once everything is in Vanguard, make sure all cost basis information came over too. It doesn't always show up right away, but after a few weeks, it should be there too. If not, work with Vanguard to get it corrected (possibly from data you pulled from the Ameriprise online account prior to leaving.
9. Once everything is in Vanguard, then work to simplify your holdings within the guidelines of how much capital gains will be taxed if you sell things. Anything that has a loss, sell it and push it toward your desired holdings.
10. Turn off automatic re-investment of dividends for holdings you don't want -- redirect those dividends into your new desired holdings.
11. It may take you a few years to unwind your Ameriprise holdings unless you want to take the tax hit. It took me a few years to unwind mine as I wanted to spread out the capital gains over multiple tax years. But at least you won't be paying the advisor and account fees anymore. I actually still have one holding at Ameriprise because it's an investment in a non-traded tax credit fund. I'm impatiently waiting for the day that fund liquidates so I can close down that remaining account.

I hope this is helpful. I don't regret leaving Ameriprise one bit. As my investments grew with them, I was paying them thousands of dollars per year. I much prefer that money in my pocket and not theirs.

Good luck.
KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs »

Just a little nit to pick, but why does DW have two target date funds in her 401k? And why is one of them a 2025 Target Date Fund at age 35? That's a very crude way to get bond exposure...

I think the 3-fund model would be a great starting point for you if implemented across your entire portfolio. You can read about it in exquisite detail in the Bogleheads Wiki.
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

There is no conundrum. Rip the band-aid off and move your assets. Done.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 am Pay off the car loans ASAP.
+1. In your tax brackets, you're paying at least 6.78% pre-tax on the first car note. I'd prioritize paying these off ASAP because those are great after-tax guaranteed returns for you.

Look into a no-cost refinance on the mortgage. You can probably get a 30 year for ~3%, if LTV is no more than 80%.

I would get out of Ameriprise ASAP and transfer assets in-kind to a low-cost brokerage house like Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, E-Trade, etc. Others have posted great information about how to approach the process of unwinding these holdings in the most tax-efficient way possible. It may take years to fully get out from underneath this mess.

I wouldn't recommend rolling the old 401k accounts into IRAs, because you and your wife will need to utilize the backdoor conversion method to contribute to Roth IRAs, and the pre-tax IRAs would complicate that process.

What are the fund options available in his and her current and old 401ks?

Do you have disability insurance? Look into that ASAP. You'll want to consider life insurance once you have kids (or if wife depends on your income - I couldn't tell if she's also a physician).

Any student loans?

I recommend checking out the book resources in the wiki, along with the White Coat Investor website (he also has a book) - he's a physician that posts on the forum occasionally, and JL Collins' book, Simple Path to Wealth (along with the stock series of blog posts on his website).
dbr

Post by dbr »

Does VPAS advise on how to unwind positions that have cap gains tax exposure? I would not have understood that they do that kind of tax advising.
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

snailderby wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 am Welcome to the forum!

1. Are all of your Ameriprise accounts taxable accounts? If so, the first step I would take is to initiate an in-kind transfer of your Ameriprise accounts to to a low-cost brokerage like Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, or E*TRADE (just to name a few). This will save you hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in advisor fees every year.
The ACTIVE DF MOD AGG is a Roth IRA I transferred :oops:
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

snailderby wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 am Welcome to the forum!

Then I would determine the cost basis and unrealized gains and losses for every stock or high-cost mutual fund that you have transferred over and post that information here, so other posters can help you determine whether it makes (tax) sense to sell everything and switch to a three-fund portfolio right away. There's no need to rush this part of the process before you have a solid investing plan.
Cost Basis / Unrealized G/L
AMGN AMGEN INC $3,329.08 +$934.58 [+28.07%]
AVB AVALONBAY COMMNTYS INC $3,340.76 -$1,035.60 [-31.00%]
AVGO BROADCOM INC $3,295.51 +$314.06 [+9.53%]
BBY BEST BUY COMPANY INC $3,436.70 +$981.94 [+28.57%]
BCE BCE INC NEW $3,498.79 -$506.30 [-14.47%]
BMY BRISTOL MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY $3,435.80 +$485.29 [+14.12%]
CMCSA COMCAST CORP CL A NEW $3,408.99 -$270.17 [-7.93%]
CSCO CISCO SYSTEMS INC $3,458.57 +$24.44 [+0.71%]
CVS CVS HEALTH CORP $3,490.72 -$89.76 [-2.57%]
DAL DELTA AIRLINES INC NEW $3,441.18 -$1,759.92 [-51.14%]
EXC EXELON CORP $3,471.86 -$561.26 [-16.17%]
HD HOME DEPOT INC $3,344.96 +$372.08 [+11.12%]
INTC INTEL CORP $3,468.05 +$572.99 [+16.52%]
JPM JPMORGAN CHASE & CO $3,414.73 -$646.25 [-18.93%]
KSS KOHLS CORP $3,443.61 -$1,971.21 [-57.24%]
MDT MEDTRONIC PLC $3,411.66 -$397.03 [-11.64%]
MPC MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP $3,441.04 -$1,414.42 [-41.10%]
NEE NEXTERA ENERGY INC $3,253.36 +$655.02 [+20.13%]
PEG PUBLIC SERVICE ENTERPRISE GROUP INC $3,465.73 -$476.06 [-13.74%]
PNC PNC FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP INC $3,450.01 -$933.33 [-27.05%]
PRU PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC $3,447.90 -$1,000.39 [-29.01%]
PSA PUBLIC STORAGE INC $3,221.04 -$705.78 [-21.91%]
RF REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP NEW $3,505.81 -$1,191.73 [-33.99%]
TOT TOTAL S A SPON ADR $3,472.45 -$899.22 [-25.90%]
TSN TYSON FOODS INC CL A $3,431.80 -$916.93 [-26.72%]
TXN TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC $3,469.70 +$162.91 [+4.70%]
UNP UNION PACIFIC CORP $3,328.47 +$284.43 [+8.55%]
UPS UNITED PARCEL SERVICE INC CL B $3,476.98 +$54.82 [+1.58%]
WM WASTE MANAGEMENT INC DEL $3,370.82 -$233.40 [-6.92%]
Overall Unrealized Gain/Loss Unrealized Gain/Loss: -$10,166.20

I do not need to do this for the IRA correct? I tried to format this but Im apparently not good at that either...
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

IRAs dont need gain/loss.
Just the brokerage/Taxable accounts.
Though unfortunate that you lost money, this is a easy decision to move away from Ameriprise
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:56 am
+1. In your tax brackets, you're paying at least 6.78% pre-tax on the first car note. I'd prioritize paying these off ASAP because those are great after-tax guaranteed returns for you.

Can you please explain how you arrived at this number of 6.78%? I feel like quoting Forrest Gump here..."I am not a smart man"

What are the fund options available in his and her current and old 401ks?

His 401K options:
PMCB SmartRetirement DRE Income CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2020 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2025 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2030 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2035 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2040 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2045 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2050 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2055 CF-C
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2060 CF-C
American Funds EuroPacific Gr R6 RERGX
Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US Idx Ins Plus VFWPX
Federated Hermes MDT Small Cp Core IS QISCX
Vanguard Extended Market Idx InstlPlus VEMPX
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund DODGX
Vanguard Institutional Index Instl Pl VIIIX
Vanguard PRIMECAP Adm VPMAX
Baird Aggregate Bond inst BAGIX
JHancock Income R6 JSNWX
Vanguard Inflation-Protected Secs I VIPIX
Vanguard Total Bond Market Idx Instl Pls VBMPX
Vanguard Federal Money Market Inv VMFXX
TD Ameritrade SDB Sweep Program
TD Ameritrade SDB Sweep Program Roth
TD Ameritrade SDB Securities
TD Ameritrade SDB Securities Roth

Her 401K options

CBRE UNITIZED STOCK
FID 500 INDEX (FXAIX)
LOOMIS GROWTH Y (LSGRX)
MACQUARIE LG CAP VAL
PARNASSUS CORE EQ IS (PRILX)
AM CENT MD CP VAL I (AVUAX)
CRLN E MID CAP GR I (HAGIX)
FID EXTD MKT IDX (FSMAX)
AMG M SKY SPL EQ N (SKSEX)
WF EMRG GRTH CIT E2
AF EUROPAC GROWTH R6 (RERGX)
AMER NEW PERSPECT R4 (RNPEX)
FID GLB EX US IDX (FSGGX)
I O DEVELOP MKT Y (ODVYX)
FID REAL ESTATE IDX (FSRNX)
MS CBRE REAL EST I (CRARX)
OAKMARK EQ & INC INV (OAKBX)
VANGUARD TARGET 2015
VANGUARD TARGET 2020
VANGUARD TARGET 2025
VANGUARD TARGET 2030
VANGUARD TARGET 2035
VANGUARD TARGET 2040
VANGUARD TARGET 2045
VANGUARD TARGET 2050
VANGUARD TARGET 2055
VANGUARD TARGET 2060
VANGUARD TARGET 2065
VANGUARD TARGET INC
MIP II CL 3
FID US BOND IDX (FXNAX)
METWEST TOT RTN BD I (MWTIX)
BLKRK STR INC OPP IS (BSIIX)

Do you have disability insurance? Look into that ASAP. You'll want to consider life insurance once you have kids (or if wife depends on your income - I couldn't tell if she's also a physician).

Yes. I am set on disability and life insurance. My wife recently stopped working. This was the plan all along but Covid stopped her career a bit early.

Any student loans?

No student loans. Very lucky in this department

I recommend checking out the book resources in the wiki, along with the White Coat Investor website (he also has a book) - he's a physician that posts on the forum occasionally, and JL Collins' book, Simple Path to Wealth (along with the stock series of blog posts on his website).

I have read both WCI books (this is where I started) and am reading Boglehead's guide to investing and guide to the three fund portfolio. I will certianly add your recommendations to my to-read-list. Thanks!!
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Why not go to Vanguard Personal Advisory service? They are tailor made for people like you, busy high earners who need help with their investments. Vanguard will certainly be a lot cheaper than Ameriprise.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

nedsaid wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:54 pm Why not go to Vanguard Personal Advisory service? They are tailor made for people like you, busy high earners who need help with their investments. Vanguard will certainly be a lot cheaper than Ameriprise.
I have certainly considered this, at least until I can improve my education. In my limited research on this topic, it seems there are mixed opinions on the service. I have at least considered seeing what their proposal would be and if it offers any value over the three fund portfolio.
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

KingRiggs wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:28 am Just a little nit to pick, but why does DW have two target date funds in her 401k? And why is one of them a 2025 Target Date Fund at age 35? That's a very crude way to get bond exposure...
The short answer...I have no idea. I asked her and she made these selections without much knowledge as to why she did so. Posting in this forum made us realize how dumb this is.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 pm Cost Basis / Unrealized G/L
AMGN AMGEN INC $3,329.08 +$934.58 [+28.07%]
AVB AVALONBAY COMMNTYS INC $3,340.76 -$1,035.60 [-31.00%]
AVGO BROADCOM INC $3,295.51 +$314.06 [+9.53%]
BBY BEST BUY COMPANY INC $3,436.70 +$981.94 [+28.57%]
BCE BCE INC NEW $3,498.79 -$506.30 [-14.47%]
BMY BRISTOL MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY $3,435.80 +$485.29 [+14.12%]
CMCSA COMCAST CORP CL A NEW $3,408.99 -$270.17 [-7.93%]
CSCO CISCO SYSTEMS INC $3,458.57 +$24.44 [+0.71%]
CVS CVS HEALTH CORP $3,490.72 -$89.76 [-2.57%]
DAL DELTA AIRLINES INC NEW $3,441.18 -$1,759.92 [-51.14%]
EXC EXELON CORP $3,471.86 -$561.26 [-16.17%]
HD HOME DEPOT INC $3,344.96 +$372.08 [+11.12%]
INTC INTEL CORP $3,468.05 +$572.99 [+16.52%]
JPM JPMORGAN CHASE & CO $3,414.73 -$646.25 [-18.93%]
KSS KOHLS CORP $3,443.61 -$1,971.21 [-57.24%]
MDT MEDTRONIC PLC $3,411.66 -$397.03 [-11.64%]
MPC MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP $3,441.04 -$1,414.42 [-41.10%]
NEE NEXTERA ENERGY INC $3,253.36 +$655.02 [+20.13%]
PEG PUBLIC SERVICE ENTERPRISE GROUP INC $3,465.73 -$476.06 [-13.74%]
PNC PNC FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP INC $3,450.01 -$933.33 [-27.05%]
PRU PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC $3,447.90 -$1,000.39 [-29.01%]
PSA PUBLIC STORAGE INC $3,221.04 -$705.78 [-21.91%]
RF REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP NEW $3,505.81 -$1,191.73 [-33.99%]
TOT TOTAL S A SPON ADR $3,472.45 -$899.22 [-25.90%]
TSN TYSON FOODS INC CL A $3,431.80 -$916.93 [-26.72%]
TXN TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC $3,469.70 +$162.91 [+4.70%]
UNP UNION PACIFIC CORP $3,328.47 +$284.43 [+8.55%]
UPS UNITED PARCEL SERVICE INC CL B $3,476.98 +$54.82 [+1.58%]
WM WASTE MANAGEMENT INC DEL $3,370.82 -$233.40 [-6.92%]
Overall Unrealized Gain/Loss Unrealized Gain/Loss: -$10,166.20

I do not need to do this for the IRA correct? I tried to format this but Im apparently not good at that either...
That's correct. You don't need this information for the IRA. Thanks for tracking it down for the taxable account though!

The good news is you should be able to sell of these stocks and transition to a three-fund portfolio without paying a hefty tax bill. In fact, you may be able to claim a deduction on these losses.
If your capital losses exceed your capital gains, the amount of the excess loss that you can claim to lower your income is the lesser of $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately) or your total net loss shown on line 21 of Schedule D (Form 1040 or 1040-SR) (PDF)....If your net capital loss is more than this limit, you can carry the loss forward to later years.
See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.

This makes things simple. Just call Vanguard and ask them to help you transfer your Roth IRA and taxable account from Ameriprise to Vanguard.

You might check out the wiki on asset allocation in multiple accounts if you haven't already. See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Asset_a ... e_accounts and https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-eff ... _placement. Given your high tax bracket, you might want to give some thought to tax efficiency before you buy new funds in your taxable account.
Last edited by snailderby on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

a. Do you have good fund options in your current 401(k)? If so, you could roll over your old 401(k) into your current 401(k) for simplicity.

b. Does your wife have an old 401(k) from a previously employer as well? I didn't see one listed in the original post but you did ask "[w]hat to do with" your "wife's" 401(k) from a "previous" employer.
Last edited by snailderby on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

PaunchyPirate has a good list, but needs one more.

4a: Find out what it costs to sell each transferred fund at Vanguard. Some are NOT free to sell. I did a transfer years ago and Vanguard advised me to sell first, then transfer cash because the one fund I would have brought over would cost me $75 to sell. You want to know ahead of time and if that's the case, sell at Ameriprise first and transfer cash. If taxable, keep track of basis and sale price so you can take the loss on your taxes.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 pm Overall Unrealized Gain/Loss Unrealized Gain/Loss: -$10,166.20
That makes your decision really easy. Put in the sell order for the entire mess today and write the $10,000 off your taxes at year end. You're golden with a clean slate to start over at Vanguard. I'd get rid of the car loans in in the meantime.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Outer Marker wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 am
BooneDocks11 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 pm Overall Unrealized Gain/Loss Unrealized Gain/Loss: -$10,166.20
That makes your decision really easy. Put in the sell order for the entire mess today and write the $10,000 off your taxes at year end. You're golden with a clean slate to start over at Vanguard. I'd get rid of the car loans in in the meantime.
Yes, rescuing six figures from this mess at no more cost than that is extraordinarily fortunate. You would be a fool not to go all in at that cost.
2babogle

Post by 2babogle »

Just left ameriprise for Fidelity so I'll shara a bit of info:
- you don't need cost basis for anything. US Laws in the last ten years require it to transfer with your account.
- ameriprise will charge $125 per account when you close. Fidelity will credit, likely vanguard will do the same but you do have to show it on the statement and you have to ask unless the fee comes through on the transfer itself... Mine didn't.
- some funds were not transferable (technically it's the receiving entity not accepting them for various reasons). After Fidelity pulled everything it would accept, I called ameriprise and they liquidated everything that was left. I had trading ability but not in the account that had stuff that Fidelity wouldn't accept so I had to call. That was painless surprisingly.
- Fidelity then continues to try to pull from ameriprise automatically and any dividends or other things that show up for the next 30 days will auto go to Fidelity.
- I sold all the crap at Fidelity and was not charged any sales fees or anything for getting rid of about 50 tickers.

While this is a Fidelity story, I suspect much of it will be similar at vanguard. I called Fidelity first to get the full picture and I suggest you do the same with vanguard.
Gl!
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm
nedsaid wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:54 pm Why not go to Vanguard Personal Advisory service? They are tailor made for people like you, busy high earners who need help with their investments. Vanguard will certainly be a lot cheaper than Ameriprise.
I have certainly considered this, at least until I can improve my education. In my limited research on this topic, it seems there are mixed opinions on the service. I have at least considered seeing what their proposal would be and if it offers any value over the three fund portfolio.
Keep in mind that there are pitfalls and disadvantages to everything. Vanguard Personal Advisory Services is not perfect, probably the biggest criticism is "cookie-cutter" advice. They will put you in simpler portfolios of 4-8 funds and probably most of the recommended portfolios are similar to the Target Date Retirement funds and the LifeStrategy funds that Vanguard already offers. I have seen mostly positive comments about the service.

The process of financial planning and portfolio review is very educational. I have been through it a few times and I have learned something each time. It does force you to organize your finances and that alone is worth the time spent.

It isn't that the portfolio review process will reveal a "secret sauce" that will enable you to be the best investor in the world, it is that you will learn the principles of portfolio construction and diversification. Effective portfolios need not be complex. Also, the advisor will look at your entire financial picture. My belief is that if you go through the process and learn one or two things out of it, the time spent is well worth it. You also gain experience in dealing with financial professionals. If you don't like the proposal, you can always say no.
A fool and his money are good for business.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:50 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:56 am

Can you please explain how you arrived at this number of 6.78%? I feel like quoting Forrest Gump here..."I am not a smart man"
You can't deduct the car loan interest, so you're paying the car loans with after-tax money. You pay 42.5% tax (total of your fed and state marginal brackets) for any after-tax money. If the loan rate is 2.85%, then that is an after-tax rate. Pre-tax amount = 2.85/.425 = 6.71% on the first loan and 2.5/.425 = 5.88% on the second loan. I think that math is correct; I hope someone will correct it if not.
tashnewbie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:56 am What are the fund options available in his and her current and old 401ks?

His 401K options:
JHancock Income R6 JSNWX

Her 401K options

CBRE UNITIZED STOCK
FID 500 INDEX (FXAIX)
LOOMIS GROWTH Y (LSGRX)
MACQUARIE LG CAP VAL
FID EXTD MKT IDX (FSMAX)
WF EMRG GRTH CIT E2
VANGUARD TARGET 2015
VANGUARD TARGET 2020
VANGUARD TARGET 2025
VANGUARD TARGET 2030
VANGUARD TARGET 2035
VANGUARD TARGET 2040
VANGUARD TARGET 2045
VANGUARD TARGET 2050
VANGUARD TARGET 2055
VANGUARD TARGET 2060
VANGUARD TARGET 2065
VANGUARD TARGET INC
MIP II CL 3
FID US BOND IDX (FXNAX)
You didn't list the expense ratios of these funds, but I assume the Vanguard and Fidelity index funds are the lowest cost options, and they are diversified. I would keep her 401k where it is, as long as there aren't exorbitant administrative fees that are charged to a former employee, and invest in the funds I've highlighted, per your desired asset allocation. You could also use one of the Vanguard target date funds, assuming the expense ratio is low (2050 might be a good option). I personally would probably just use the S&P 500 index fund instead of a combination of that and the extended market index fund (which is a "completion" fund used in conjunction with the S&P 500 fund to replicate the total stock market (TSM)), because they perform basically the same and it could be more effort than necessary or desired to maintain the ratio to replicate the TSM, which is roughly 85% S&P 500/15% extended.

I would invest in the highlighted funds in his 401k. Is this his old or current 401k? The general guidance is to look for low-cost index funds and invest in those. If his current 401k has good, low-cost options, then it probably makes sense to transfer his old 401k into his current one.

Edited to add: The options you listed for his 401k look like his old 401k. If you don't have better options in your current 401k, then I would leave the old 401k where it is. What are the options in his current 401k? Are there any lower cost options than the fund you're currently using (which has an expense ratio >1%)?
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

snailderby wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:49 am a. Do you have good fund options in your current 401(k)? If so, you could roll over your old 401(k) into your current 401(k) for simplicity.

b. Does your wife have an old 401(k) from a previously employer as well? I didn't see one listed in the original post but you did ask "[w]hat to do with" your "wife's" 401(k) from a "previous" employer.

HIS current 401K options with expense ratios

The Growth Fund of America RGABX (1.41%) current selection
Af U.S. Government Money Market-R2
Amcap Fund-R2 RAFBX (0.69%)
American Funds 2010 Target Date-R2 RBATX (1.41%)
American Funds 2015 Target Date-R2 RBJTX (1.41%)
American Funds 2020 Target Date-R2 RBCTX (1.41%)
American Funds 2025 Target Date-R2 RBDTX (1.43%)
American Funds 2030 Target Date-R2 RBETX (1.45%)
American Funds 2035 Target Date-R2 RBFTX (1.47%)
American Funds 2040 Target Date-R2 RBKTX (1.48%)
American Funds 2045 Target Date-R2 RBHTX (1.48%)
American Funds 2050 Target Date-R2 RBITX (1.49%)
American Funds 2055 Target Date-R2 RBMTX (1.49%)
American Funds 2060 Target Date-R2 RBNTX (1.51%)
American Funds 2065 Target Date-R2 RBOTX (1.55%)
Fundamental Investors-R2 RFNBX (1.38%)
Intermediate Bond Fund Of America-R2 RBOBX (1.38%)
New Perspective Fund-R2 RNPBX (1.52%)
Smallcap World Fund-R2 RSLBX (1.78%)
Washington Mutual Investors Fund-R2 RWMBX (1.37%)

Wife's 401k is from former employer.

The only kicker here is that my 401k will change in january of 2021. At this point I will be the business owner and will make my own selection as far as the 401k is concerned. This is maybe a topic for another discussion but I do recognize American Funds seems to have higher expense ratios, thus I may elect to choose an option with vanguard or fidelity funds that would have lower expense ratios. With the likely change in the near future, Im not sure if it necessarily hurts to move the old 401k funds now into my current 401k.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm HIS current 401K options with expense ratios

Wife's 401k is from former employer.

The only kicker here is that my 401k will change in january of 2021. At this point I will be the business owner and will make my own selection as far as the 401k is concerned. This is maybe a topic for another discussion but I do recognize American Funds seems to have higher expense ratios, thus I may elect to choose an option with vanguard or fidelity funds that would have lower expense ratios. With the likely change in the near future, Im not sure if it necessarily hurts to move the old 401k funds now into my current 401k.
I would leave the old 401k where it is for now and invest in the funds I highlighted above (I'm assuming their expense ratios are low because they're index funds). After you get control of your current 401k and are able to add lower cost options, then it may make sense to transfer the old 401k into the new 401k. I would not do any transfer before the current 401k options have improved.

In your current 401k, it might be helpful to do some backtesting to compare the performance of some of these stock funds to an index fund, such as Vanguard's S&P 500 index fund (VFIAX). Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but to me, this backtesting gives you a general idea of how well the fund tracks the benchmark index. I compared the following to VFIAX: RGABX (the one you're currently using), RFNBX, RAFBX, and RWMBX. I think I listed them in descending order of final portfolio size (RGABX had the largest growth). Be aware that RGABX is not as diversified a fund as some of the others because it is a large cap growth fund that excludes the value swath of the large caps. Large cap growth (think Google, Facebook, Apple) performance has been really good in the past decade or so, but that outperformance may not continue into the future.

I'd probably use Fundamental Investors-R2 RFNBX (1.38%). It's performance was similar to the S&P 500 and it's a relatively diversified large blend fund. It has a slightly lower expense ratio than RGABX, the fund you're using, but the difference is almost negligible. I don't know if it makes much difference to change your fund choice at this point, if you are 100% certain that the fund options will change early 2021.
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

An update here.

I called Vanguard and will be able to roll over the portfolio with commons stocks. This is in process and was easy to do.

The Roth IRA with the mutual funds however cannot be held (with the exception of 2 of the funds). Thus the vanguard rep recommended liquidating the funds and then moving them over. My understanding is the funds are still technically held in a Roth IRA and thus I am able to reinvest them as such, correct?

Now I have the pleasure of telling my advisor I'm pulling out of Ameriprise. Any recommendations other than, "its not you, its me, (but its really you)" ?

My wife feels like we owe him some sort of explanation but my feelings are that this isn't personal, its a business decision. We have spoken to him maybe two times only and he has done nothing but profit from our relationship, albeit a short one.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pmNow I have the pleasure of telling my advisor I'm pulling out of Ameriprise. Any recommendations other than, "its not you, its me, (but its really you)" ?

My wife feels like we owe him some sort of explanation but my feelings are that this isn't personal, its a business decision. We have spoken to him maybe two times only and he has done nothing but profit from our relationship, albeit a short one.
No need to burn any bridges: “Thank you for your service, we have chosen to go another route and wish you well in the future”
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm My understanding is the funds are still technically held in a Roth IRA and thus I am able to reinvest them as such, correct?
Correct. Changing custodians doesn't change the tax advantaged status of the money inside the account.
Now I have the pleasure of telling my advisor I'm pulling out of Ameriprise. Any recommendations other than, "its not you, its me, (but its really you)" ?

I'd keep this extremely short and directly to the point. If you are truly honest and mention the fees, etc. you may get sucked into a long discussion about all the great things he can do for you. Remember, he is a professional salesperson who has been primarily trained to talk you out of this decision. Don't give him the chance to reel you back in.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
senex

Post by senex »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm My wife feels like we owe him some sort of explanation but my feelings are that this isn't personal, its a business decision.
Part of a salesman's job is to make you feel like there is a relationship, a friendship. Yet once you stop paying him, he will never speak to you again, which is not how friendship works.

You really don't need to tell him anything. Have Vanguard pull the money. If he tries to contact you, you can ghost him, or you can reply with the one-liners suggested by others, or something vague about personal reasons. Providing specific points, even if true, is like an invitation for him to use his professional persuasion skills to re-hook you.
MJS

Post by MJS »

BooneDocks11 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm
Second don't burn any bridges: he may advise your patients someday. Send a handwritten note expressing your appreciation for his aid in starting your investing life.

. . .

You do appreciate that education is often quite expensive?
Topic Author
BooneDocks11

Post by BooneDocks11 »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:56 am What are the fund options available in his and her current and old 401ks?

His 401K options:
JHancock Income R6 JSNWX

Her 401K options

CBRE UNITIZED STOCK
FID 500 INDEX (FXAIX)
LOOMIS GROWTH Y (LSGRX)
MACQUARIE LG CAP VAL
FID EXTD MKT IDX (FSMAX)
WF EMRG GRTH CIT E2
VANGUARD TARGET 2015
VANGUARD TARGET 2020
VANGUARD TARGET 2025
VANGUARD TARGET 2030
VANGUARD TARGET 2035
VANGUARD TARGET 2040
VANGUARD TARGET 2045
VANGUARD TARGET 2050
VANGUARD TARGET 2055
VANGUARD TARGET 2060
VANGUARD TARGET 2065
VANGUARD TARGET INC
MIP II CL 3
FID US BOND IDX (FXNAX)
His OLD 401K options:

His Former 401K options:
PMCB SmartRetirement DRE Income CF-C (0.59%)
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2020 CF-C (0.43%)
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2025 CF-C (0.45%)
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2030 CF-C 0.45%
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2035 CF-C 0.46%
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2040 CF-C 0.46%
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2045 CF-C 0.46%
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2050 CF-C 0.46%
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2055 CF-C 0.5%
JPMCB SmartRetirement DRE 2060 CF-C 0.35%
American Funds EuroPacific Gr R6 RERGX (0.46%)
Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US Idx Ins Plus VFWPX (0.06%)
Federated Hermes MDT Small Cp Core IS QISCX (0.89%)
Vanguard Extended Market Idx InstlPlus VEMPX (0.04%)
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund DODGX (0.52%)
Vanguard Institutional Index Instl Pl VIIIX (0.02%)
Vanguard PRIMECAP Adm VPMAX (0.31%)
Baird Aggregate Bond inst BAGIX (0.3%)
JHancock Income R6 JSNWX (0.41%)
Vanguard Inflation-Protected Secs I VIPIX (0.07%)
Vanguard Total Bond Market Idx Instl Pls VBMPX (0.03%)
Vanguard Federal Money Market Inv VMFXX (0.11%)

His current 401k (13% of total portfolio)[/b]

Options with Expense ratios

Her Former 401K options

Options
CBRE UNITIZED STOCK
FID 500 INDEX (FXAIX) (0.015%)
FID US BOND IDX (FXNAX) (0.025%)
FID EXTD MKT IDX (FSMAX) (0.046%)
FID GLB EX US IDX (FSGGX) (0.056%)
FID REAL ESTATE IDX (FSRNX) (0.07%)
LOOMIS GROWTH Y (LSGRX) (0.66%)
MACQUARIE LG CAP VAL (DPDEX) (0.7%)
PARNASSUS CORE EQ IS (PRILX) (0.63%)
AM CENT MD CP VAL I (AVUAX) (0.78%)