Fidelity Website says password expired

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jb9

Fidelity Website says password expired

Post by jb9 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:16 pm

I just tried to login to Fidelity.com and I received a message stating that my password is expired.

Has anyone gotten this message?

I am on the phone with a Fido rep and they say my password is active.

I closed the tab and didn't proceed.

Businesscasual

Re: Fidelity Website says password expired

Post by Businesscasual » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:29 pm

It happens to me once in a while. I think it’s just a website glitch. Refresh and try again, you should be good.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:35 pm

If that doesn’t work, try another browser or the Fidelity app.

Topic Author
jb9

Post by jb9 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Fido Customer Service wasn't able to help me. They told me to contact the Electronic Channel Support team tomorrow am. They are presumably the more technical team.

They said my password was active and they haven't heard of passwords "expiring."

I removed all browser data from Chrome. Tried Firefox. I rebooted my mac. I tried again... still getting the same page displaying. Very disconcerting.

the way

Post by the way » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:46 pm

In the meantime, double-triple-check that you didn't make a typo in the URL and end up at a look-alike phishing site! (check the certificate too if you know how to make sure it's not a man-in-the-middle attack)

Leif

Post by Leif » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Sounds odd. If it was me I would call Fidelity and ask about recent transactions. Then I would ask them to put a temporary hold on any transactions (transfers or withdrawals) until it is resolved.

I would also try to login via another device, like a different computer or phone.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 am

the way wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:46 pm
In the meantime, double-triple-check that you didn't make a typo in the URL and end up at a look-alike phishing site! (check the certificate too if you know how to make sure it's not a man-in-the-middle attack)
And if all that checks out, look at your DNS settings and perhaps change them. I like using CloudFlare at 1.1.1.1.

valleyrock

Post by valleyrock » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 am

Careful of phishing scams.

aristotle'sfootprint

Post by aristotle'sfootprint » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:57 pm

If you're using a password manager, that may be the cause. I use LastPass and I have to manually enter my username in order to avoid getting the error message.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Make sure it’s actually Fidelity’s website.

If it is indeed the correct website, if a company has a reason to believe that a password has been compromised, they will often quietly “expire” the password, and force you to create a new one the next time you log in. No idea if this is your situation or not, but it does happen from time to time.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

jdc10909

Post by jdc10909 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm

aristotle'sfootprint wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:57 pm
If you're using a password manager, that may be the cause. I use LastPass and I have to manually enter my username in order to avoid getting the error message.
Yes this happened to me and FIDO said it was the pass word manager. Type in manually and never an issue again.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 am

Sounds like a phish scam. Fidelity passwords do not expire. Never go to supposed Fidelity or any other site from any kind of email or error screen coming from a miscellaneous web page.

Many phishing scams use a fake web logon page that looks exactly like the real thing. As soon as you try to log on they have captured your user id and password but give you back an error message. At that point its a race to see how fast they can lock you out of your own account, while at the same time quickly cleaning out your account.