Which budgeting software do you use ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
johnpau

Which budgeting software do you use ?

Post by johnpau »

Which budgeting free or commercial do you currently use ?

Mint,Personal Capital,YNAB,EveryDollar...etc

Are they secured especially when authorizing them to provide our bank and brokerage accounts like VG and others.

Share you experiences. Thanks
lost-soup

Re: Which budgeting software do you use ?

Post by lost-soup »

I've tried most of the budgeting software there is... and to be honest, I always get stuck with some exception that I'm not able to model properly and end-up dropping them.

I've just recently discovered this amazing spreadsheet and I'm quite happy! https://aspirebudget.com/

Give it a try!
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If you use Windows, you can give Microsoft Money a try. I've been using it for almost thirty years now without a glitch.

Microsoft no longer supports it so it doesn't automatically download mutual fund and ETF prices and a few other features don't function, but you can still download and import your transactions from your financial institutions using OFX or QIF. There are still many online "help" resources if needed.

The "sunset" version released by Microsoft when they ended support is completely free to download and use: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=20738
airborne

Post by airborne »

I use Mint. The interface is nice, and it's pretty low-maintenance. It's an Intuit product, and I use Intuit's TurboTax to file my taxes so I trust its security as much as I would with a product that has my tax return information.
onourway

Post by onourway »

You Need a Budget.

Completely transformed the way we manage our money. Well worth the subscription fee.

Excellent support and regular updates.
gowest

Post by gowest »

onourway wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:58 am You Need a Budget.

Completely transformed the way we manage our money. Well worth the subscription fee.

+1. Exactly what I was going to say.
Investor9904678

Post by Investor9904678 »

I use MS Money, as well, for one feature that, to my knowledge, is not part of other budgeting software: the cash flow forecast. With one click, I can see exactly how my budgeting decisions will affect my account balances for a month or even years in the future via a simple graph. My wife and I use this feature all the time.

I noticed that most popular budgeting software today seems to be focused on helping users see where their money went in the past, rather than how their budget will affect them in the future. I certainly understand and appreciate the power of this rearward approach when one is starting out and perhaps has difficulty managing money or perhaps has an unpredictable budget. At this point in my life, though, I have a very consistent budget month to month, so I really only care about the future balances of my accounts. Thus, Money does the job, and I do not have to worry about security, either, since I manually update it.

Note that the Pocketsense program (freely available) can import your investment account info into Money, too.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Investor9904678 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:58 am I use MS Money, as well, for one feature that, to my knowledge, is not part of other budgeting software: the cash flow forecast. With one click, I can see exactly how my budgeting decisions will affect my account balances for a month or even years in the future via a simple graph. My wife and I use this feature all the time.

I noticed that most popular budgeting software today seems to be focused on helping users see where their money went in the past, rather than how their budget will affect them in the future. I certainly understand and appreciate the power of this rearward approach when one is starting out and perhaps has difficulty managing money or perhaps has an unpredictable budget. At this point in my life, though, I have a very consistent budget month to month, so I really only care about the future balances of my accounts. Thus, Money does the job, and I do not have to worry about security, either, since I manually update it.

Note that the Pocketsense program (freely available) can import your investment account info into Money, too.
In addition to the cash flow forecast, MS Money has a lifetime planner which allows you to plan and look years into the future, including retirement. That feature as well lets you run different "what if" scenarios to see the overall effect on your lifetime plan.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

There's a reason why finance departments use spreadsheets to present meaningful/summarized data (and not SAP/Oracle Reports). I use Google Sheets. I export all my credit card and bank transactions (5 sources), categorize them, and they flow into my monthly/annual tracking with lookup functions, with comparison/tracking to last 5 years. Also, in Google Sheets, I also track all my investments, wages, employee contributions, and tax estimate for fed/state, so I get tracking on where I will be at the end of year based on all inflows and outflows. Google Sheets has some excellent finance functions and plugins to track investments, dividends, bond amortization/principal...etc.

Maybe took 4 hours to setup the templates, and takes about 1 hour/month to maintain all this, I update beginning of month. The format is exactly what I want to see, in one summarized page, that shows the full comprehensive picture of wages, IRA/401K planning, expenses, and tax. I have links to retirement planning sheets I've downloaded, which I can fiddle with strategies (SSA, Roth conversions, investment mix..etc), so I've got my finances planned until I die.

Software Cost: Free
nix4me

Post by nix4me »

YNAB - it’s a game changer budgeting.
Lloyd Christmas

Post by Lloyd Christmas »

I use Mint. It's super easy to use, free, secure, and tells me everything I need to know. There was awhile there where they had trouble connecting to my accounts (namely Capital One) but they seemed to have fixed that. I haven't had a connection issue in a couple of years.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

Another vote for MS Money - it is free and works well for my needs. I believe one of the former programmers has a script you can purchase that will download stock quotes for the sunset version, but I usually just enter by hand.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Same here. Love assigning each dollar to a purpose and seeing exactly what I have saved for everything. The auto import works relatively well though its not perfect. There is a Chrome browser add on called YNAB Toolkit that's expands the customizability and adds a lot more reports.

We budget this month's income to next month's expenses and YNAB works well to ensure we have next month's expenses completely budgeted before we start putting anything in savings. Or, of course, you can do it the other way around. Nothing can slip through the cracks and we can't get in a habit of always failing to meet budget - overages have to be accounted for and paid off.

Having used 3 in my life, I'd roughly categorize as: Money is out of date but still works to track spending and investments. Mint is web-based and good for tracking your spending. YNAB is web-based and good for strict budgeting looking forward.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I use excel... since we are retired income from pensions and SS are fixed, changing once a year, dividend income and RMD the same. Expenses are also very same... mortgage, car and condo insurance, property tax, expenses for food, entertainment, clothes and such are also relatively constant so a spread sheet in excel seems to work fine.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Don't need one. I have very simple portfolio (four funds). Bank and Vanguard are connected. no debt. that's all folks. Marty
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I use Quicken to categorize all my transactions and to view high level spending results and graphs such as "Current month spending", "Last month spending", and "Year to date spending". Then I also keep a spreadsheet of full-year, month-by-month tracking actual spending compared to expected spending. It's not so much a budget as a tracker to see if I'm missing my expected spending by much. The spreadsheet is set up with the same categories as I use in Quicken, so it's very easy to update the spreadsheet at the end of every month. Quicken has a budgeting capability related to it's categories, but I didn't care for it, so I'm not using it.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

How do people who don't use one of these budgeting tools save for future expenses? One of the things that's indispensable about YNAB for me is knowing I have X dollars allocated to home repairs, Y dollars for car maintenance and insurance, and Z for travel. I can put last year's average monthly into each category each month so I see that I'm not overspending prior to big expenses that come once or twice a year.

Otherwise I'd just have a big float sitting in checking or savings without really knowing - quantitatively - that I could meet future expenses.
jasuus

Post by jasuus »

I use Pocketsmith. I find it satisfactory, although it costs.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 am How do people who don't use one of these budgeting tools save for future expenses? One of the things that's indispensable about YNAB for me is knowing I have X dollars allocated to home repairs, Y dollars for car maintenance and insurance, and Z for travel. I can put last year's average monthly into each category each month so I see that I'm not overspending prior to big expenses that come once or twice a year.

Otherwise I'd just have a big float sitting in checking or savings without really knowing - quantitatively - that I could meet future expenses.
Multi-tiered approach. We keep a few thousand in checking. Then about $25K in a high yield savings account. Then taxable accounts which include some muni bond funds that can be easily sold. I go in every other week and move any surplus cash in the checking account to where it should be (usually the taxable account). If a big bill comes in we move cash from the savings account back to the checking account and restore in the following weeks. If we decide to buy a new car we'll probably sell some bonds in the taxable account and move the proceeds to checking account.

Works well enough for us. Fortunately we don't have an independent auditor and my spouse is happy just seeing account balances that are bigger than large bills (e.g. property tax).
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Second for YNAB. It has changed my life in terms of how I think about money. I'm so much more thoughtful about how I plan and spend, and I regularly look at the reports to understand "ok -- realistically how much have I spent?".

It does have its quirks, which combined with my own quirks can be annoying sometimes, but overall well worth it for increased financial health and visibility. Good support and product enhancements as mentioned above.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Another vote for YNAB.

YNAB isn't budgeting software. If you use it, you're ascribing to Jesse Mecham's budgeting philosophy which happens to have some software associated.

Personally I don't consider Mint to be budgeting software. Mint is for spend tracking. YNAB is about budgeting for spend that has yet to happen.
2muchfun

Post by 2muchfun »

I'm another YNAB user.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Excel. Two lines: "In" and "out". As long as line 1 exceeds line 2 we're good.
slopetider

Post by slopetider »

+1 for YNAB. Changed the way I look at my personal spending. Also easy to keep track of net worth and income vs. expenses and category spending.
ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl »

YNAB! I love it. I know what I can/cannot spend/save at a glance. It is worth every penny. Stress free budgeting allowing me to sleep well at night.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

Budgeting is my biggest weakness. I have used mint (its ok), YNAB (too detailed/time consuming for me) and everydollar. Everydollar I found the fastest and easiest. I have a rough budget in there, automate investing and extra principal payments on the mortgage of much as possible, and keep 20-30k in a money market.

We don't count dollars at the grocery store or when buying clothes. Try to balance being comfortable and being secure, with a tilt towards security for sure.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I use YNAB. I can enter transactions on my phone when I'm out, I can set budgeting goals, I can do reports. I set a budget for doubling my emergency fund by 2027. I think they do a great job.
IHeartTaylor1

Post by IHeartTaylor1 »

Another very happy YNAB user here since March / April of this year. Even got my wife on board with the program. It took us the first month to figure it out, started fresh with a new budget in month two and have got the hang of it now.

As far as to your question on security, there is a connected version that links your accounts (credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) which imports transactions and that is it. Transaction importing is an option. We have found that doing manual transaction entry is a bit more true to budgeting real-time and that is what we are doing currently. If you do manual entry, there are no live data connections to any of your external accounts (credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) so I don't see any security risk there.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

+1 on YNAB. I have been using it for 2+ years. For me, it is less about budgeting and more about knowing were money goes. The way it works is that you approve each transaction; makes you more aware of transactions. It makes you think about your spending. I don't think my budget for any 2 months has been the same but now I put money aside for big expenses that I know are coming like property taxes, insurance, etc

With other tools that I used, I felt with almost everything on auto-pilot, I didn't pay attention.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Y
N
A
B
Besides all the other good reasons people have posted I've found their customer service to be outstanding. I had an issue with a particular credit card account not syncing with YNAB but after a bit of back and forth with their CS they got it straightened out and it has worked perfectly since.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Topic Author
johnpau

Post by johnpau »

Does YNAB sync well with brokerage accounts ?

Vanguard
Fidelity
Ally
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 am How do people who don't use one of these budgeting tools save for future expenses?
Our HYSA allows for buckets: we have four.

- Escrow (taxes and insurance for the house).
- Car repair/replacement.
- Emergency Fund
- Vacations

And we also keep one month of spending in our savings account linked to the checking account.
codoriti

Post by codoriti »

johnpau wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:45 pm Does YNAB sync well with brokerage accounts ?

Vanguard
Fidelity
Ally
I use YNAB myself, but don't sync investment accounts (aka tracking accounts) only checking and savings (aka budget accounts). I manually update investment accounts at the end of the month, primarily for the net worth calculation/graphs. The idea is that you budget the money you spend or plan to spend in the coming month(s). It took me a while to get used to the YNAB philosophy and had to go through a few YouTube videos, but once it clicked, it's great!

As for Ally, I do have a savings account there and it syncs without any problems.
Joe3zz

Post by Joe3zz »

Take a look at TillerHQ.com. Automated spreadsheet system with automatic transaction import and categorization for import and expenses.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

mcblum wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 am Don't need one. I have very simple portfolio (four funds). Bank and Vanguard are connected. no debt. that's all folks. Marty
Same, and use Quicken to track spending.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

lost-soup wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:59 am I've tried most of the budgeting software there is... and to be honest, I always get stuck with some exception that I'm not able to model properly and end-up dropping them.

I've just recently discovered this amazing spreadsheet and I'm quite happy! https://aspirebudget.com/

Give it a try!
That looked cool. Aspire! No importing correct? Manual entries?

+1 for YNAB for myself. I reconcile weekly on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Transactions over the weekend are ready to be imported by then. That helps a lot. I do not track investments in YNAB. Its not really built for that.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Excel
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
HotRod

Post by HotRod »

I use Quicken to track my net worth and the values of each of my various accounts.

I've never needed a budgeting tool. I have always been cheap, and in a way I probably saved too much (although I have no regrets about that now).

Ever since I got my first credit card decades ago I would set a limit of what I felt I needed to spend each month (not what I wanted to spend). As each months statement arrived I would compare my goal to what I actually spent, and unless something unforseen happened that month I was in the ballpark.

Even now I routinely log to my credit card app on my phone to see where I'm at for the month. If I'm below the goal I might splurge, if the balance is high I hold off.

Of course I ALWAYS pay the full balance every month.
17outs

Post by 17outs »

I tried YNAB but I couldn't wrap my head around budgeting this way. I like to budget monthly not per paycheck which I think requires much less time. I use everydollar.com. This easily imports all my transactions and allows me to drag and drop to the bucket I want. It doesn't import amex, so I just track the payment to amex as the spend which was easy for me since I only use it for a work expense card. I love everydollar. App is good, webapp is good. Easily shows how much I am investing per month and allows me to borrow within the budget. I admit that I don't budget to the penny though it allows for such.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

MS Excel
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I've tried Every Dollar and currently use Mint to track expenses, but I've never really been able to stick with using any budgeting software/program. I don't have any debt and am by nature fairly frugal. It just seems like a lot of effort to budget spending when I don't really spend much, and all of the programs I've tried seem clunky in some way or it's difficult to account for a particular scenario. I do think having general knowledge of what monthly regular expenses are allows for accurate calculating of emergency fund/reserve needs. Beyond that though, I just ensure I'm saving/investing what I want every month and if I have too much left over, I try to adjust accordingly. I can do this because my expenses are regular (renting helps with this) and I don't have much desire to "overspend" in discretionary categories.
lost-soup wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:59 am I've tried most of the budgeting software there is... and to be honest, I always get stuck with some exception that I'm not able to model properly and end-up dropping them.

Give it a try!
Thanks for posting this. I downloaded the spreadsheet and have started playing with it. I may start using this instead of Mint.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

We use a Google Sheets spreadsheet that I've set up to budget cash flow and track expenses. When my wife and I were setting up our finances, this seemed like the most flexible approach, and the more popular programs didn't have great apps at the time. It's worked well for us.
HuckFinn

Post by HuckFinn »

Microsoft Money. I think we've used it for 25 years. Easily one of the best decisions we've made in our lifetime. It truly changed our understanding of how to rationally deal with facts to stay prepared and prosper. I have absolutely no idea how one can survive without personal financial software. For me I would feel as though I were blind.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

MoneyDance
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

None.

I track spending in excel each month and categorize it into the bls buckets so I compare myself to others to see if we’re spending too much vs others and look for reduction opportunities.

A while I back I set up Monthly debit card deposits for the wife and I and that is ours to spend however we want, and we have some set aside for the house, utilities, insurance etc which is paid from the general account.

The rest Each month then goes to savings. Works pretty good. Completely short circuits stupid arguments about buying extra toys for kids etc...
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

I am open for suggestions here.

I have tried YNAB and didn't like it. What I learned is that I probably don't want a budget, I want an expense tracker. What I find with a budget is there a too many things to account for that come out of the blue that are just too hard to plan for in your budget. Or, perhaps my life was too dynamic too make a budget.

What I think would work better for me is to plan on saving X% towards retirement and then not worry about the rest in the detail of a budget. Then, have an expense tracker and try to minimize expenses and whatever else I can get top of X% by minimizing expenses would be a bonus.

The ol' "pay yourself first" style.
nix4me

Post by nix4me »

jibantik wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 pm I am open for suggestions here.

I have tried YNAB and didn't like it. What I learned is that I probably don't want a budget, I want an expense tracker. What I find with a budget is there a too many things to account for that come out of the blue that are just too hard to plan for in your budget. Or, perhaps my life was too dynamic too make a budget.

What I think would work better for me is to plan on saving X% towards retirement and then not worry about the rest in the detail of a budget. Then, have an expense tracker and try to minimize expenses and whatever else I can get top of X% by minimizing expenses would be a bonus.

The ol' "pay yourself first" style.
The easiest expense tracker i have used is MINT. Free too.
nobleisthyname

Post by nobleisthyname »

Yet another YNAB user here, started with YNAB4 in 2015 and switched to nYNAB in 2019. I graduated from grad school in 2016 so I've been budgeting with it basically my entire adult life and so it's honestly hard for me to imagine how people handle their finances without some sort of budget.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Another vote to YNAB. It is not the software itself that matters, it is the philosophy (budget the money you have, not future income, what to do when overbudget...etc)
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather