Looking for a Roth IRA with rebalancing. (Hegdefundie adventure)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mickelous

Looking for a Roth IRA with rebalancing. (Hegdefundie adventure)

Post by Mickelous » Fri May 22, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm looking for a 0 fee self guided Roth IRA to use for Hedgefundies adventure, something with rebalancing features would be nice. Only one I've found so far that has what I like features wise is M1 Finance except I don't like the way they fill orders. Fidelity in my experience has great order filling however I don't like how they show your returns and the lack of a rebalance button from what I've seen is unattractive. If I decide to rebalance a little more often, monthly or bimonthly instead of quarterly it would be more time consuming. Not a lot just wouldn't as less involved as I am trying to make it.
Last edited by Mickelous on Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiveK

Re: Who do you use for your Roth IRA?

Post by FiveK » Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Don't know about your specific criteria, but in answer to the thread title, "for various reasons, Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard."

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm

I use Vanguard for my Roth
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 pm

I have my wife's with TRowePrice

Mine is with Fidelity,

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate » Fri May 22, 2020 7:20 pm

I use Vanguard. I don't need to have those features that you indicate you want.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Mickelous wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:18 pm
I'm looking for a 0 fee self guided Roth IRA to use for Hedgefundies adventure, something with rebalancing features would be nice. Only one I've found so far that has what I like features wise is M1 Finance except I don't like the way they fill orders. Fidelity in my experience has great order filling however I don't like how they show your returns and the lack of a rebalance button from what I've seen is unattractive. If I decide to rebalance a little more often, monthly or bimonthly instead of quarterly it would be more time consuming. Not a lot just wouldn't as less involved as I am trying to make it.
What is a "self guided Roth IRA?" Aren't all Roth IRA's self-guided?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Topic Author
Mickelous

Post by Mickelous » Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 pm
Mickelous wrote:
I made the assumption that some may have limited investing options, not have the choice of picking the ETFs/stocks I want. As if they were similar to some 401ks in that regard.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Mickelous wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm
I made the assumption that some may have limited investing options, not have the choice of picking the ETFs/stocks I want. As if they were similar to some 401ks in that regard.
An IRA can't hold everything a taxable account can (see The Dos and Don’ts of IRA Investing for some discussion), but common index funds (e.g., those suggested in Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads) are perfectly fine.

Topic Author
Mickelous

Post by Mickelous » Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 pm

FiveK wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 pm
Mickelous wrote:
An IRA can't hold everything a taxable account can (see The Dos and Don’ts of IRA Investing for some discussion), but common index funds (e.g., those suggested in Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads) are perfectly fine.
I was going to go with a UPRO/TMF mix with maybe other risk parity assets. Before this I was going to leverage with rental properties but I feel I'm more comfortable with this plan.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Mickelous wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 pm
Mickelous wrote:
This makes no sense. A Roth IRA is under total control of the owner. The owner can move the funds to any custodian that they wish. I have no idea what "M1 Finance" is. Most here use Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Mickelous wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 pm
FiveK wrote:
Mickelous wrote:
I was going to go with a UPRO/TMF mix with maybe other risk parity assets. Before this I was going to leverage with rental properties but I feel I'm more comfortable with this plan.
You probably will have better luck post in the Hedgefundie's adventure thread since your criteria will be very unBoglehead. Or even ask Hedgefundie for a suggestion.

Only M1 will have a rebalance button. Vanguard will not work because those leveraged ETFs are not available there.

Topic Author
Mickelous

Post by Mickelous » Fri May 22, 2020 8:07 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 pm
Mickelous wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 pm
FiveK wrote:
Mickelous wrote:
You probably will have better luck post in the Hedgefundie's adventure thread since your criteria will be very unBoglehead. Or even ask Hedgefundie for a suggestion.

Only M1 will have a rebalance button. Vanguard will not work because those leveraged ETFs are not available there.
Thanks. Think I'll end up going with M1 for ease of use and ask Hedgefundie first.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Vanguard and m1.

No other brokerage I know of has a rebalance button.
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:48 pm

I use Vanguard.

cos

Post by cos » Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 pm

Mickelous wrote:
Both my Roth IRA and primary taxable account are with M1 Finance, and I'm 100% invested in the quarterly rebalanced 55% UPRO / 45% TMF strategy in both accounts. My SO is in a similar position following HEDGEFUNDIE's strategy in her Roth IRA, but she prefers 100% NTSX for her taxable account. (We have differing views on the viability of the strategy and the impact of taxes.)

I'm always on the lookout for better options, and nothing comes close as of yet. The order filling isn't great, sure, but it also doesn't matter much for the purposes of long-term investing. I add to both accounts weekly, and the prices I'm getting are perfectly acceptable. Besides, what you might lose in the spread, you gain in the absence of fees and commissions.

occambogle

Post by occambogle » Sat May 23, 2020 12:32 am

I'm doing Hedgefundie's adventure in a Roth IRA at Interactive Brokers... but it doesn't have the rebalance button you are looking for. That said, you're basically only selling a bit of one ETF and using that money to buy one other, likely every 3 months, so it's not that hard. M1 Finance would be easier, but I don't have a choice of another broker.

Topic Author
Mickelous

Post by Mickelous » Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 am

cos wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 pm
Mickelous wrote:
Both my Roth IRA and primary taxable account are with M1 Finance, and I'm 100% invested in the quarterly rebalanced 55% UPRO / 45% TMF strategy in both accounts. My SO is in a similar position following HEDGEFUNDIE's strategy in her Roth IRA, but she prefers 100% NTSX for her taxable account. (We have differing views on the viability of the strategy and the impact of taxes.)

I'm always on the lookout for better options, and nothing comes close as of yet. The order filling isn't great, sure, but it also doesn't matter much for the purposes of long-term investing. I add to both accounts weekly, and the prices I'm getting are perfectly acceptable. Besides, what you might lose in the spread, you gain in the absence of fees and commissions.
Is easy to transfer securities from a taxable, ie Robinhood to M1? Currently have a few thousand in Robinhood I'd like to bring over to get my Roth half funded for the year.

BruinBones

Post by BruinBones » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 am

My Roth IRA has always been in Vanguard. My Roth is for very long term retirement investing or to bequeath with my estate, so I just contribute to VTSAX and don’t tinker.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 am

I would suggest changing the title of your thread. You are going to get a bunch of irrelevant answers since most here do not use leveraged ETFs you are talking about.

Topic Author
Mickelous

Post by Mickelous » Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 am

aristotelian wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 am
I would suggest changing the title of your thread. You are going to get a bunch of irrelevant answers since most here do not use leveraged ETFs you are talking about.
Good idea.