Appropriate rate of AA adjustment

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bacon4retirement

Appropriate rate of AA adjustment

Post by bacon4retirement » Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm

How large of shift in AA is appropriate to do within a single year? I picked some mutual funds straight out of college, and had not adjusted much in the intervening 15 years. Thanks to spare time at home due to Covid-19, I finally have had time to learn more about investing and AA. My spouse and I currently have an AA of 91/9 and given our age and risk profile an AA of about 80/20 seems more reasonable. Even though we have a very high savings rate, it would take more than 2 years of investing exclusively in bonds and international stocks to move from our current AA to our desired AA. Such a large change in investment strategies seems antithetical to a slow, steady, buy and hold strategy. Perhaps it would be better to aim for shifting our AA by 2% per year? I want to keep buying at least some US stocks in case this turns out to be bottom of the market.

Emergency funds: six months

Debt: None

Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly

Tax Rate: 24% Federal, 0% State

State of Residence: Washington

Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds
Desired International allocation: 35% of stocks

Current Asset allocation: 91% stocks / 9% bonds
Current International allocation: 20% of stocks

Portfolio size: low seven-figures

Current retirement assets
Our portfolio is split across several accounts that use retirement trusts rather than tickers. For simplicity, I summarized it in terms of equivalent basic fund tickers.

Taxable
1% savings/MM accounts
5% CDs
18% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX)
21% Vanguard Total International Stock Index (VTIAX)

401k/Roth/HSA
3% Schwab U.S. Aggregate Bond Index Fund (SCHK)
52% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX)

Pension
Defined benefits plan providing approximately $3000/month at retirement

New annual Contributions
$57,000 her 401k with employer match and mega-backdoor
$19,500 his 457 deferred comp
$6,000 his backdoor IRA/Roth IRA
$6,000 her backdoor IRA/Roth IRA
$7,000 HSA
$65,000 to taxable brokerage

Kookaburra

Re: Appropriate rate of AA adjustment

Post by Kookaburra » Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 am

There is no “single year limit.” The right amount is whatever it takes to get to your AA. If you’ve determined it’s 80/20, do it all at once. You may fall prey to market timing and behavioral mistakes otherwise. Ask me how I know.

absolute zero

Post by absolute zero » Fri May 22, 2020 12:47 am

I’d probably shift to 85/15. Let it ride for a few weeks to confirm my sentiment. Then finish it off and move the rest of the way to 80/20.

If you prefer, can also just switch to 80/20 immediately. As long as you are confident that 80/20 is more appropriate for the level of risk/return you desire, I don’t see any problem with an immediate 10% change.

michoco911

Post by michoco911 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:55 am

I think you should have done it before, but now that you have reached this stage, if 80/20 is what you see suitable for you, then do it as one shot.
30% VWRD 30% VUSD 40% AGGG until further notice

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 am

Seeing as you have had the allocation for a considerable time period keep one eye on tax consequences..... if it matters little to not at all get it done with.... it the tax bite is a concern moderate to fit your needs.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 am

When you realize you are at the wrong allocation, it should be changed immediately. If you simply must spread it out, do half today and half next week.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 am

bacon4retirement wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm
Such a large change in investment strategies seems antithetical to a slow, steady, buy and hold strategy. Perhaps it would be better to aim for shifting our AA by 2% per year?
The difference between 90/10 and 80/20 is not going to be statistically significant. It's a trivial shift, and not one you're like to notice in the performance of your portfolio.

That said, I generally object to sudden changes in asset allocation on purely behavioral grounds (i.e. a desire to make a sudden shift is, in itself, more often than not a dangerous impulse).

Why not just invest new contributions at a 50/50 stock/bond allocation until your allocation is down to your target? This would strike a balance in terms of regret management: you won't be able to regret a sudden move that was sub-optimal and also won't end up regret doing nothing at all.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 am

vineviz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 am
Why not just invest new contributions at a 50/50 stock/bond allocation until your allocation is down to your target? This would strike a balance in terms of regret management: you won't be able to regret a sudden move that was sub-optimal and also won't end up regret doing nothing at all.
+1
I think slow, even sloth like, movements are appropriate for people in your position. You're still a ways from retirement. In my experience one hasty move can bring on another.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am

I don't see this as a behavioral shift. I see it as "ignored my portfolio for 15 years and have now decided I need something different from what I have".

Agree that purely behavioral changes are unwise. Nothing in the original post shouts that out to me.