Individual stock for son's birthday

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Stanczyk

Individual stock for son's birthday

Post by Stanczyk »

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a couple of shares of stock for my son's birthday. What I have in mind is something that has a large appreciation potential, but not something that is completely ridiculous like penny stocks. In other words, I would like to be aggressive but not crazy. Any ideas?

This will be in a taxable account.
retired@50

Re: Individual stock for son's birthday

Post by retired@50 »

How about a few shares of the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF... VTI

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Buy a stock in a company that your son is familiar with.

Depending on his age and interests, Disney, Nintendo, Electronic Arts, Amazon, Tesla are possibilities.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

retired@50 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 pm How about a few shares of the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF... VTI

Regards,
+1 Don't give him any ideas about investing in individual stocks. Those aren't good ideas. Train him in indexing.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Do you have individual stocks in your own portfolio?

As a boglehead post, the obvious answer is ETF, rather than an individual stock.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

why 1 stock, buy VOO and give him 500 companies.
VTI is also good BUT 500 looks fancy round number :)
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
AAA

Post by AAA »

Someone gave my son a share of stock in a company my son was familiar with and we ran into some inconvenience when it came time to sell it.
langlands

Post by langlands »

AAA wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 pm Someone gave my son a share of stock in a company my son was familiar with and we ran into some inconvenience when it came time to sell it.
Because of capital gains? Sounds like a good problem to have.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

langlands wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:55 pm
AAA wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 pm Someone gave my son a share of stock in a company my son was familiar with and we ran into some inconvenience when it came time to sell it.
Seems to me the best inconvenience would be if the stock had lost value or was worthless. That would provide a lesson in the dangers of individual stocks.
langlands

Post by langlands »

cheese_breath wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Seems to me the best inconvenience would be if the stock had lost value or was worthless. That would provide a lesson in the dangers of individual stocks.
I don't understand why tax loss harvesting would be an inconvenience.
Topic Author
Stanczyk

Post by Stanczyk »

I was thinking of something "fun." My son already has a diversified ETF portfolio. Any ideas for individual stocks?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

milosz19 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:00 pm I was thinking of something "fun." My son already has a diversified ETF portfolio. Any ideas for individual stocks?
Fun stocks for a juvenile -

Amazon - the future of shopping
Disney - the future of entertainment
Tesla - the future of transportation (???)
Last edited by Stinky on Tue May 19, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Dug8498

Post by Dug8498 »

milosz19 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:00 pm I was thinking of something "fun." My son already has a diversified ETF portfolio. Any ideas for individual stocks?
What interests him? and what is your budget?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

langlands wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:57 pm
I don't understand why tax loss harvesting would be an inconvenience.
IMO TLH is a technique to make the best of a bad situation (i.e the loss). I've never hoped my stocks would lose money so I could TLH. But maybe that's just me.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

milosz19 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:18 pm Hello,

I am thinking of buying a couple of shares of stock for my son's birthday. What I have in mind is something that has a large appreciation potential, but not something that is completely ridiculous like penny stocks. In other words, I would like to be aggressive but not crazy. Any ideas?

I think you should buy him shares in VTI (Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF, ER .03) or VT (Vanguard Total World Stock Market ETF, ER .08). Either choice would be aggressive but not crazy.

As for an individual stock, who cares! Buy one of the FAANGs or Tesla or something.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Stick with index funds.

Or just pick a $10 stock that will be $2,000 per share and still around when your son retires. Easy. :dollar
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
theorist

Post by theorist »

Obvious ideas:

If he is into sports, you can buy shares that hold fractions of teams. The Atlanta Braves and various NY teams are partially available this way.

If he is into Disney, well, Disney...
not4me

Post by not4me »

I didn't see mention of son's age, although I think most are thinking a minor/juvenile. Others are thinking this is a teaching opportunity. By "fun", you might mean along lines of a gag gift than trying to instill habits/mindsets? Clarifying might help shape ideas. But I'll go along with others that say depends on his interests & what is 'fun'. Other thought might be something he could follow to see if a covid vaccine was developed & how companies can have an impact
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If a minor, your son might most enjoy a stock in his favorite companies - Disney, etc. Great if you can buy a commemorative stock certificate.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Here's a better idea than an individual stock ->
https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Mille ... 476&sr=1-1
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

This thread is funny, and of course true to the forum. Wet blanket!

If you want to teach him about investing give him "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street" or "if You Can" or something similarly easy to read.

I think what OP is saying is he wants to get a gift that's kind of like a high-powered lottery ticket for potential small windfall and some fun. I think this can be done without becoming a "gateway" to a life of stock picking, heaven forbid.

Ok onto picking stocks that are like a lottery ticket...:

There are a couple people who said to pick something of interest, or maybe something relevant to today's crisis. Are you a "cool dad"???

How about:

"ACB.TO"

VERY INTERESTING and down like 80% in the last 12 months. Haha ok we need to know the age.

I'd suggest having fun researching different "top moving" stocks on yahoo or something, which is where I found this one. Or maybe give him an allowance to go pick one? I think this is pretty fun. :beer
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

DesertDiva wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:30 pm Here's a better idea than an individual stock ->
https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Mille ... 476&sr=1-1
HAHA! Great minds :sharebeer
Winston101

Post by Winston101 »

Although I get your idea of giving your son something "fun" and I'm not saying you shouldn't to it, here's a true story: My Dad helped me invest the first $100 I earned from my paper route. It was a stock that he also purchased and was recommended by his investment club. The stock held steady for a few years and then became worthless when the company went bankrupt. If, instead, I had invested that $100 in a total market index fund (not sure they existed then) it would be worth near $10,000 today.
Watty

Post by Watty »

For a couple of years we put scratch off lottery tickets in Christmas stockings, then even make holiday ones just for that.

I then realized that if my any chance one of them won a significant amount that would risk getting people hooked on the lottery.

We stopped putting the lottery tickets in the Christmas stockings.

You are in a no win situation with buying individual stocks. If they do badly then they lose money and may turn the kid off investing. If they do well then that may get them hooked on individual stocks.

One other problem is that they don't issue paper stock certificates now. Many of these were pretty and looked important. A printed account statement is pretty abstract.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Yes. One share of BRKA. :P :P :P
Robert20

Post by Robert20 »

VTI or VT is best if your son is around 20 years now (after 40 years I am sure VTI/VT will be there)
AAA

Post by AAA »

No - now that I recall (it was several years ago) the main issue was that we had an actual paper certificate.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

How old is your son? This sounds like a terrible birthday present.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Watty wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 am For a couple of years we put scratch off lottery tickets in Christmas stockings, then even make holiday ones just for that.

I then realized that if my any chance one of them won a significant amount that would risk getting people hooked on the lottery.

We stopped putting the lottery tickets in the Christmas stockings.

You are in a no win situation with buying individual stocks. If they do badly then they lose money and may turn the kid off investing. If they do well then that may get them hooked on individual stocks.

One other problem is that they don't issue paper stock certificates now. Many of these were pretty and looked important. A printed account statement is pretty abstract.
+1.

Also, is this the type of gift your son would be interested in? I don't think I would've cared about something like that when I was younger, but everyone's different.
Last edited by tashnewbie on Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

SPCE? Virgin Galactic maybe? Moonshot?
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

retired@50 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 pm How about a few shares of the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF... VTI

Regards,
This. Set your son up with a proper approach to investing, in addition to a nice gift.

As someone who had their dad buy individual stocks with their paper route money when I was 12 (and still have them); I'd much rather have it in TSM today.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

Winston101 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am
Although I get your idea of giving your son something "fun" and I'm not saying you shouldn't to it, here's a true story: My Dad helped me invest the first $100 I earned from my paper route. It was a stock that he also purchased and was recommended by his investment club. The stock held steady for a few years and then became worthless when the company went bankrupt. If, instead, I had invested that $100 in a total market index fund (not sure they existed then) it would be worth near $10,000 today.
I chose Hershey Foods and Phillips Petroleum in 1983 with my above mentioned paper route money. HSY has dwarfed COP/PSX(?). Have never compared either to TSM.

These were two of the companies I knew of when I was a kid that were also published in the daily newspaper of my smaller city - some of the critical requirements of mine; I didn't want to have to wait for the Sunday edition with the full NYSE to track its price.

I haven't bothered to sell it.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Individual stock for son's birthday?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

milosz19:

Your intentions are admirable but I feel it would be a mistake to "buy a couple of shares of stock for my son's birthday." The most important reason is that you will be teaching your son to speculate -- not invest. Please read what experts say:

What Experts Say About Individual Stocks vs. Mutual Funds

I agree with others that a much better birthday gift would be to buy your son shares in a simple, low-cost, tax-efficient, diversified Total Stock Market Index Fund fund.

HOW to invest is one of the greatest gifts you can give your son.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Attempting to build an investment program around a handful of individual securities is, for all but the most exceptional investors, a fool's errand."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Get a share of Disney stock, have the paper stock certificate issued, and frame it, so your son can hang it on the wall, and collect quarterly dividend checks for around $2.99 and track 1099’s reporting annual income of around $12 for the rest of his life. As a side effect, he can be taught to believe that buying an individual stock is a good way to invest, and that stocks are get-rich lottery ticket schemes where you speculate on big appreciation with a small investment.

My apologies for the snarky reply. I believe this is a bad idea. Giving your son an age-appropriate birthday present, and saving and investing appropriately for the needs of your family are the best gifts you can give your son.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Excellent intentions but I would suggest you consider buying a low cost index fund and teach your son the importance of why an index fund will never be below average and will win over the long term.

You are a good Dad!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Apple; Procter & Gamble; JPMorgan; Berkshire Hathaway...to name a few.
And for icing on the cake, an ETF; VOOG or maybe VOO.
Happy Birthday to your son!
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

I got a share of Tootsie Roll for my 10th birthday from my Dad and it has split.Now I have 8 shares.I get a dividend check every quarter. Have for 55 years.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Winston101 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am
It might have been worse. Suppose the stock had been a winner. Is it possible you might still be buying individual stocks trying to find another big winner like your first stock was? I guess I'm one of the wet blankets JLJL refers to, but it would be a shame if something like that happened to OP's son. I'm not saying it WOULD happen, but why take the risk. Sometimes well intended actions have unintended consequences.
MJS

Post by MJS »

A historical stock, rather than one chosen for investment.

* Bank of New York Mellon Corporation, founded 1784, listed NYSE in 1792.
* Lloyd's of London, founded 1686. Plus a book on insurance.
* Fiskars, plus a pair of scissors, founded 1649
* Sotheby's, founded in 1744.
* Kongo Gumi, founded in 578 AD, now part of Takamatsu. Plus book on Buddhist temples.

-----
https://www.pws.io/the-seven-oldest-com ... k-exchange
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the ... today.html
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Maybe a good idea would be to buy some individual stocks (Apple, Procter & Gamble, JPMorgan, Berkshire Hathaway or any others you choose) and buy him an equal dollar amount of an ETF (maybe VOOG or VOO).

Then let his investments grow (or maybe not grow).

This may provide him with a real life lesson that will be valuable to his investing career.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Given that I own a few individual stocks (and have done well with them - thanks), I'm sympathetic to your desire to buy your son some stock for his bday.

I'd echo a couple of other posters indicating purchase in a company/area your son may have an interest (with some oversight by dad). Apple? Intel? Nvidia? are a few that come to mind. If you'd like to go low cost, you could get a share of FZROX (Fidelity total market) and explain the value of low cost index investing.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Don't listen to them, this is an excellent idea on your part and I'm about to tell you why:
1) You could give him money but then money has no real meaning or sentiment, your son will likely earn hundreds of thousands if not millions in his lifetime and while he may remember that his pop gave him some amount of money, it's likely he's not going to have any other memory attached to it.
2) You could give him other gifts, but those gifts likely will not appreciate/depreciate over time. They'll just be fully expensed at time of purchase.
3) Your son could actually learn something from this - you haven't said his age and its not too important. What could he learn? Well, he might develop a passion for numbers, he may want to study in a field related to the company he is part owner of. How will he learn about such a thing you might say? - Well, there's the company website, there's the annual report that he'll get in the mail or via e-mail, he'll get to vote his shares unless the stock you buy is non voting. He may get a cash dividend of a nickel every year, or maybe $1 four times a year. He may be motivated to see that companies appreciate in price when they do well, but they also depreciate in price when things aren't going so swimmingly.
4) He might learn not to place all his eggs in one or two baskets for his financial security, instead he might look to buy broad based index funds that grow slowly over time.

This is my suggestion and it's only a suggestion - pick two companies: one is a growth company. Look at the Vanguard Growth Index portfolio holdings: either have him select the company (being reasonable as some share prices are completely unreasonable for the average person to buy and that might be by design), then look at the Vanguard Value Index portfolio holdings - pick a company of something that is recognizable, chances are they will pay a cash dividend so having a bank account for your child to negotiate the payment would be handy. Periodically, compare their performance vs each other and that of the broader market. The biggest appreciation over time has come from companies with smaller market capitalizations - for example, Coca-Cola's greatest appreciation came when they had 200 million shares outstanding versus the billions they have today or companies that have been unfairly beaten up in the market place (rightly or wrongly so) - look at Apple, its stock split adjusted is trading for $1 from late 2004. So in 16 years, the stock is up over 200 times, but then again, people thought they were going out of business (myself included :oops: ).

Finally, if your son is of reading age - in the early teens; buy him The Little Book of Common Sense Investing, 2nd Edition - John Bogle. Insert a note, wishing him good fortune in his investing journey. I'll bet your son will treasure that book in his later years and its a lot harder to throw out. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
jeep5ter

Post by jeep5ter »

UNP. Good, appreciating stock, and he can get a free calendar each year with pictures of his trains.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

MJS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 pm A historical stock, rather than one chosen for investment.

* Bank of New York Mellon Corporation, founded 1784, listed NYSE in 1792.
* Lloyd's of London, founded 1686. Plus a book on insurance.
* Fiskars, plus a pair of scissors, founded 1649
* Sotheby's, founded in 1744.
* Kongo Gumi, founded in 578 AD, now part of Takamatsu. Plus book on Buddhist temples.

-----
https://www.pws.io/the-seven-oldest-com ... k-exchange
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the ... today.html
Don't waste your time or money on those selections - he want's growth, not dead money. It's like saying, buy stock in a horse and buggy company.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jeep5ter wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:23 pm UNP. Good, appreciating stock, and he can get a free calendar each year with pictures of his trains.
Wrigley used to send a box of 20 of their gum or candy each year for Christmas holidays. Who knew you could make good money from a chewing gum company? It was a worthwhile investment at least my nieces thought so.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

BRK-B

As you said fun then TWLO, SHOP, TTD, ZS, TSLA
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Is he a gamer? If you want something fun, I'd say Nvidia NVDA. It's at an all time high but think it has more to go and excellent long term potential in gaming, artificial intelligence, super computing and autonomous vehicles (I own as well)
mega317

Post by mega317 »

MJS wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 pm Plus a book on insurance.
Now this sounds like a bad gift. For a child?!
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
Jake806

Post by Jake806 »

I like this idea.

A few years ago, Nintendo shares jumped from $17 to $37 in like a day after Pokemon Go was released. I asked my Dad for some shares for my birthday because I naively thought that maybe it would double again. Watching it then fall to $26 and then go back up to $57 was fun for me and made me fascinated in personal finance. I started reading books, and eventually came across Bogleheads in a WSJ article. Now I'm a huge fan of indexing. Obviously looking back buying an individual stock the day after it increases over 100% was very foolish, but I think it ended well as it made me learn about these things before I had real wealth on the line. This did lead me to speculate on stocks in the short-term but in the long-run I believe I'm much better off because of it.

Hopefully this little success story can help convince some people that a fun birthday stock can end up well, and not automatically destroy your son's financial future.

Nintendo, Disney, Starbucks, or any random company he really likes may be good.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

marijuana ...

Canopy Growth Corp. (CGC)
Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)
GW Pharmaceuticals PLC (GWPH)

Just kidding, it’s possible you could do more harm than good with that. Same with individual stocks in general I think.

AI (artificial intelligence) ETF? (Sci-fi rocks!)
Biotech? (COVID19 is surely on his mind)
Tesla?
First Trust Internet ETF FDN

Actually, best choice is probably his decision with marijuana off the table.
Last edited by typical.investor on Thu May 21, 2020 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.