What is best way to transfer money to India

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
futurecat

What is best way to transfer money to India

Post by futurecat » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Am trying to transfer money to relatives in India. Used TransferWise for 3 transfers but now they are asking for personal details that I am not comfortable giving (pdf of bank statement, driver license, and selfie with drivers license) Are there any better options that are reasonably inexpensive?
Thank you.

HawkeyePierce

Re: What is best way to transfer money to India

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Given KYC/AML laws Transferwise's requirements are expected and reasonable. Any legit operator in this space is going to require something similar.

wander

Post by wander » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm

I've used Paypal xoom to transfer money to foreign countries. It works pretty well and provides status update.

sthadani

Post by sthadani » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:55 pm

I have used Remitly in the past. Worked out well.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:15 pm

If this is a recurring thing and you COMPLETELY trust people, or can set up a second debit account, I wonder if it would make sense to order a second authorized user debit account, mail it to them, then call them to coordinate a PIN. This would be exactly like your withdrawing money while on vacation in India..... Seems like that would work for a trusted relative with recurring withdrawals. Or how I support my college kid.... Maybe?
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.