What single individual stock would you buy?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
patrick013

Re: What single individual stock would you buy?

Post by patrick013 »

at today's prices and just looking for a dividend

SO, T, and IP
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

If I had some money left in my "Play Money" bucket, I would buy more of AAPL, TSLA and maybe NVDA after this week's correction. Also MSFT but I think I have enough of those. If I had A LOT of play money, I would buy AMZN.

But that pool of money is empty right now, so I'm just going to watch and lust.
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

silly question unless your purpose is to determine what stocks are most popular with this board. why buy one stock when any reasonable selection of 2o companies would return a little more or less than the S+P 500.MY 20 stocks would be apple amazon.microsoft and a bunch of value stocks including berkshire and verizon
NRI

Post by NRI »

BRK.B / A
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Kookaburra wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:34 pm
yangtui wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:52 pm I am a HUGE fan of BioAnal Sys (BASI).
I am not a huge fan of the name though. Ridiculous.
Bioanalytical Systems, Inc. (BASI)
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

robert_b wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 am There is only 1 company I find interesting : ASML, but I will not buy single stocks, too risky.
From Jan 1996 - Aug 2020, ASML had an inflation adjusted compound annual growth rate of 20.79%!

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion1_1=100

I see ASML was the 3rd largest holding (as of 7/31) in the Vanguard International Growth Fund.
“There are no answers, only choices.” ― Stanislav Lem, Solaris
bltn

Post by bltn »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:11 pm I'd buy a lottery ticket instead. Greater risk but potentially greater reward.
This is what I was thinking.
Buying individual stocks is a gamble. Having never been much a gambler ( I didn t realize individual stock investment was such a gamble for a novice like me, when I was younger) my only inclination to gamble now might be 5-10 dollars on lottery tickets occasionally.
keanoz

Post by keanoz »

aapl, nvda, sq
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:50 pm
whereskyle wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:45 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:41 pm I just buy VGT, it's still an index fund right? :twisted:
I've worried that the heavy weighting made it a weird etf. But now I think it offers a measure of stability. And I don't have to shop for msft or apple.
It has definitely been my best performing equity holding through this crash...

And I definitely bought some more on the cheap.
I own 1803 shares or 30% my portfolio, it is in my Roth IRA so will need it in 10 years.

My 1.3 Million are mix of VPMAX, SP500, Russell 2500 and 2% Apple shares.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 am First, I am not going to tell you buying individual stocks is easy or even a good idea. Heck for fun a bought a some shares of Luckin Coffee a few weeks ago and then it dropped 80+% because of corporate fraud. Still some people like to dabble in them so my question is if you were going to buy individual stocks but could only buy one stock, what would it be? I expect a lot of people to default to Berkshire, but come on is that really that much different than buying an index fun. So which stock do you think is the golden child?
If you believe that commercial air travel will bounce back, Boeing would be an excellent pick. Again, this is NOT a recommendation, do your own research. It is a stock that I have owned for probably 12 years or so.
A fool and his money are good for business.
klondike

Post by klondike »

I'm not a bogleheads when it comes to 3 funds portfolio.
To compensate my aggressive tech tilting, I'm holding substantial amount of boring stocks like LMT(Lockheed Martin), RTX(Raytheon), NOC(Northrop Grumman), HII(Huntington Ingall Industry), GD, some BA too. There is not way all these companies will go away(they could merge and split) unless the US were nuked.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Intuitive Surgical. At least in March,2020.

Tim
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

nedsaid wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:23 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 am First, I am not going to tell you buying individual stocks is easy or even a good idea. Heck for fun a bought a some shares of Luckin Coffee a few weeks ago and then it dropped 80+% because of corporate fraud. Still some people like to dabble in them so my question is if you were going to buy individual stocks but could only buy one stock, what would it be? I expect a lot of people to default to Berkshire, but come on is that really that much different than buying an index fun. So which stock do you think is the golden child?
If you believe that commercial air travel will bounce back, Boeing would be an excellent pick. Again, this is NOT a recommendation, do your own research. It is a stock that I have owned for probably 12 years or so.
I think the evidence right now is that commercial aviation will do a slow climb back to altitude. Maybe in 4 years we will be back to 2019 levels? People are just not going to fly (in the same numbers) if it is uncomfortable and risky. Business travel has the highest margins but business has learned that conferencing technology has reached the point where it is a viable alternative to (much) travel. When we get to our destinations, sitting in air conditioned offices & hotels is just not such a great idea - and we won't shake hands. I have seen so many conferences done online in the last 6 months.

(saying that, it would be interesting to know what Chinese air traffic numbers are now, how they have recovered?).

The unknowable is an effective vaccine. A workable vaccine will definitely lift the share prices of every affected company. But the game changer would be an effective vaccine - say 90% effective.

This doesn't mean that the stock prices won't move first. I certainly have not looked at Boeing. Its credit rating would be my key concern - could this thing get into an insolvency situation?
raiderjkwong

Post by raiderjkwong »

AMZN!
pmmcmu

Post by pmmcmu »

GOOG, AAPL or MSFT