What single individual stock would you buy?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ponyboy

Re: What single individual stock would you buy?

Post by ponyboy »

American Airlines, AAL...already bought hsome.
PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan »

Boeing. there is ZERO chance the govt allows it to fail.
huskerfan1414

Post by huskerfan1414 »

Bought a few shares of ROKU a few weeks back. Wanting to pull trigger on a few shares of cruise lines but probably won't. This is all less than 1% of my overall portfolio, however, so just some play money hoping for a vacation in a few years or something.

I wish better.com was publicly traded. I would hammer down on that. I believe it is a game changer in mortgage banks. It's suited for future generations nicely.
“I’m confident, but not really sure.” -Tom Petty
JSPECO9

Post by JSPECO9 »

As you said, Alphabet. Everything you said: their balance sheet is pristine, growth looks good and sustainable, it seems they've took control of a huge part of the industry (Google.com, YouTube, YouTubeTV, Android, Pixels, Chromebooks, Google Maps/Waze, Google Drive, etc). I am just as in love with their company as an investor as I am with their products as a consumer. They are reasonably priced right now, not cheap, but as Buffett says: "It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price." It's the only individual company I would ever use "play money" on. Buy & hold forever.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

backofbeyond wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:17 pm I got the answer! Pick me. Pick me! Ceasers Entertainment. Why? Because I've been riding this bear market since the begining and so far that's my star.

I've bought approx. 205 "new" stocks since the downturn. New means, ones that I did not currently own. Of the 205, 23 are in negative territory. According to my records, the S&P 500 is currently 17.8% off it's high. Only 4 of my picks are worse off than 17.8%. And 17 of the 23 are only down by single digits. Guess what my Biggest loser is? Luck Coffee -72% (Fraud charges), same as the OP. Biggest Winner is Ceasers Entertainment 136%

# of Winner up by percentages

+20% 35
+30% 21
+40% 13
+50% 6
+60 6
+70% 2
+80% 1
+90% 3
+120% 1
+130 1

I also added several ETFs and more stocks to my "old" positions, but haven't done the deep dive analysis on where I'm at with them, my guess is most are over 20% higher. Eyeballing it, I"m not nearly as successful picking ETFs during this time frame, but then again, I doubt many ETFs are doing better than the S&P500 during the same timeframe. Also for the record, these buys are made with what I call play money (or is it mad?) and I limit the total amounts to 10% of my total portfolio. More of a hobbie than anything. 90% of my portfolio is in total market Index funds and/or TSP accounts.

So for those who say buying individual stocks is a losers game, curious to see what they have to say about the above data? 98% of my picks are beating the S&P500 since the slide. I could cash them out right now and call it a day. But my strategy is once they reach 100% gain, I'll sell 50% and let the rest rid

While I agree that in normalaesars times, you can't beat Mr. Market...but look outside, these are NOT normal times.
My pick, Caesars Entertainment, is up 63% since I selected it. And up 200% since I bought it. Yeah!
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

Pfizer-PFE
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

I buy individual stocks as 20% of my portfolio, rest is indexed.

For long term holds, I have bought GOOG, MSFT, AAPL. Also TSLA and UBER for more speculative plays. I would like to buy AMZN, but not at this price.

I've also had VHT for a few years, and think the health care sector will outperform over the long term.
“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

I made the quickest 40K gains last Friday on Sorrento Therapeutics (SRNE). Bought at $3.95 and sold half # of shares at $8 on the same day to get my principal $$ back. This was only in my play money account.
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

PoultryMan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 am Boeing. there is ZERO chance the govt allows it to fail.
In the same way as General Motors?
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

fwellimort wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:52 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:34 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:25 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:38 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:11 pm I'd buy a lottery ticket instead. Greater risk but potentially greater reward.
So if I purchased Microsoft, Apple or Amazon its equvilant to buying lottery ticket? Wow this is truly the twilight zone
No, the lottery ticket is less expensive so I have less to lose.
So no idex funds dropped as individual stocks were dropping?
Comparing single stocks to lottery tickets just shows ignorance or great misunderstanding of how stocks are valuated.
Microsoft for instance isn't some company with huge negative net worth (quite the contrary in fact).
These stocks "cannot" go to $0. In lottery tickets, if you spend $5, you will almost always lose $5. In stocks (if the company doesn't have more liabilities than assets), if you spend $5, you can never lose all $5.

If stocks were truly lottery tickets (or even remotely so), then stocks would be as meaningful as bitcoins: random pieces of internet paper that people throw money at with no underlying backings.

Microsoft isn't disappearing tomorrow.. Same with Amazon.
Now, these companies might "underperform" the market. But Microsoft unlike most other companies in the S&P500 today actually have a balance sheet that is wildly profitable (and yes, Microsoft actually holds a lot of equities).
In fact, I would argue most american company stocks today are ponzi schemes. Wildly unprofitable with horrible balance sheets: most US companies currently look as "well valued" as tech companies in year 2000. Why are these companies valued at all with negative net worth.
Buying Microsoft shares at a fair value will at least give low positive returns if the current balance sheet trend holds true. But it won't go to zero.
Buying a lottery ticket would... go to zero almost all the time.

And it's not "less expensive". We have fractional trading in today's market. You can spend the exact same sum of money on Microsoft shares as in lottery tickets.
Now, if you are talking about 'winning a billion dollars' in your life. Then yes, you have a much higher (almost unquestionably) chance with a lottery ticket than with a Microsoft share today.
But in most situations, the Microsoft share will underperform the market but still bring 'some profit' (better than bonds at the current environment) while your lottery ticket will go instantly to zero.

Two very different products. Now if you want the 'get unrealistically rich' scheme with stocks, then go buy those risky companies with huge 'potential' with horrible balance sheets like Uber and Tesla. Or even better, go pick penny stocks that will become the next Microsoft. Now that's real lottery ticket-ing.
“These stocks "cannot" go to $0.” And Titanic can’t sink

30 years ago one would have recommended. Polaroid, General Motors, Kodak, Fannie Mae, PanAm as stocks for ages. Loyal customer base, strong cash flows, etc etc. GM and Fannie were eventually ‘saved’ by the feds. Investors were screwed.
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Because I use Zoom (ZM) 9 - 13 hours a day, I bought a smidgen of it just for fun when it first went public. It's up 183.32% at the moment. As long distance learning and congregating seems to be on the uptick and more players get involved, I'm wondering when/if I should sell. :greedy

Bought Facebook when it opened and sold it WAY too soon.

Getting too old to mess around with much of it, but ZM has been fun so far.

Really tempted to buy a little Disney. Sell Zoom to buy it or just buy a bit.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

I picked up ZBH, MSFT, and DIS a few weeks back....Long term holds.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
RCL

Post by RCL »

Stock in myself :D
gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome »

T, VZ, CVX, ABBV.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I would not buy any individual stocks and have not done so since 2008.

Jack Bogle’s has said that investors should not own individual stocks as the risk is too great.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I would simply own Total Stock Market.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:22 pm
XPFL wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 pmCostco
+1 Costco has an EXTREMELY loyal customer base (and, obviously, a great business model).

+ 1
Bought some in Mid March. My first single stock purchase, and my last.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

Costco. It has got great management and a strong board that has Charlie Munger on it. Every time I shop there I am impressed by the efficiency of the operation.And I like the way they treat their employees.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:51 pm
Rosencrantz1 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:22 pm
XPFL wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 pmCostco
+1 Costco has an EXTREMELY loyal customer base (and, obviously, a great business model).

+ 1
Bought some in Mid March. My first single stock purchase, and my last.
Smart move. Good for you. I'm still sitting on a few individual stocks I bought in the downturn - so far, I'm making some $$. My biggest purchase - by far - has been MGM Resorts (bought quite a bit of that between $7 and $11)
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 am First, I am not going to tell you buying individual stocks is easy or even a good idea. Heck for fun a bought a some shares of Luckin Coffee a few weeks ago and then it dropped 80+% because of corporate fraud. Still some people like to dabble in them so my question is if you were going to buy individual stocks but could only buy one stock, what would it be? I expect a lot of people to default to Berkshire, but come on is that really that much different than buying an index fun. So which stock do you think is the golden child?
TheTimeLord:

I saw my millionaire grandfather invest his money in stocks and go into bankruptcy.

I joined a stock club to invest in individual stocks -- it was a disaster (except for our broker).

With the availability of low-cost, diversified index funds I see no reason to speculate in individual stocks. If you are thinking about buying individual stocks, please read this:

What Experts Say About Individual Stocks vs. Mutual Funds

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Attempting to build an investment program around a handful of individual securities is, for all but the most exceptional investors, a fool's errand."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

SteadyOne wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm
PoultryMan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 am Boeing. there is ZERO chance the govt allows it to fail.
GM was not a major defense contractor at the time.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
TeeDee

Post by TeeDee »

ALLY

WFC
kareysue

Post by kareysue »

why you think wfc is good. it seems to be so cheap right now for some reason like other banks? you don't think it may collapse?
Stef

Post by Stef »

SpaceX if I could.
joaquin168q

Post by joaquin168q »

USB.

I have been waiting for the past ~2+ years for an opportunity, and it came.
DonIce

Post by DonIce »

I hold the following individual stocks:

AMZN
O
UBER
My last employer (small startup)
My current employer (private company)
robert_b

Post by robert_b »

There is only 1 company I find interesting : ASML, but I will not buy single stocks, too risky.
PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan »

Different. There are multiple US auto companies and giving Airbus a monopoly on air travel isn’t going to happen. 100% certainty? No, but close.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Helo80 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 am First, I am not going to tell you buying individual stocks is easy or even a good idea.
So which stock do you think is the golden child?
nisiprius wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:59 am Yes, it's completely different from buying an index fund.

Theoretical wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:59 pm 1 stock: None. Not even Berkshire.

Maybe it's just me..... but I think that OP intended this to be a "fun" thread and not a technical analysis thread about why buying individual stocks is a terrible idea.

To answer OP's question, I'd be the snake oil that the Oracle of Omaha is selling.... He's done pretty okay.

EDIT

Maybe let's rephrase the question... if you were gifted $100,000 USD to purchase shares of a single publicly traded stock, what would you buy? You cannot buy ETFs or other similar funds. If you choose "None", you get nothing and the money goes into a political fundraising budget for the candidate most opposed to everything you believe in.
I'll just throw a dart and pick one. Or perhaps narrow the risk down the companies that seem low risk and pick one of those. I'm not in possession of any meaningful knowledge about any companies that isn't widely known and priced into their stocks. Yes, Apple has such fanatical customers that they can sell casters for $700, but that is priced into their stock. Yes, Tesla has a big technology lead over their competitors and their CEO is deranged, but that's priced into their stock. I'm one of those boring people that doesn't gamble when I'm stuck in Vegas because it isn't fun for me to gamble when the odds are against me. For the same reason, I'd rather not bother with individual stock choices knowing that my odds are better just leaving my money in boring, diversified, cheap index funds. I don't believe that markets are perfect, but I think they are better at setting prices than I am.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

RCL wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:48 am Stock in myself :D
+1
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

PoultryMan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Different. There are multiple US auto companies and giving Airbus a monopoly on air travel isn’t going to happen. 100% certainty? No, but close.
I may be mistaken, but I think his point is that Boeing may be kept alive by the govt, but that doesn't mean that shareholders won't be wiped out.
spectec

Post by spectec »

I'd buy one I know for sure is going to go up and then put all my money in it.

If it isn't 100% certain to go up, I wouldn't buy it.

This investing stuff is so easy anybody can do it if they just give it a little thought.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
reln

Post by reln »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 am First, I am not going to tell you buying individual stocks is easy or even a good idea. Heck for fun a bought a some shares of Luckin Coffee a few weeks ago and then it dropped 80+% because of corporate fraud. Still some people like to dabble in them so my question is if you were going to buy individual stocks but could only buy one stock, what would it be? I expect a lot of people to default to Berkshire, but come on is that really that much different than buying an index fun. So which stock do you think is the golden child?
Amazon
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

PoultryMan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Saving the company and saving the shareholders are two different things.
Nupey03

Post by Nupey03 »

Anti-Boglehead approach here... but I opened smaller / well diversified positions across the following [LONG] list of ~60 names in May via a "thematic investing" approach (no one name represents more than 5.0%). I have certainly "outperformed" the market with this approach, but I am aware that this not sustainable and will likely shift back to my 100% VTI exposure (but will consider continuing to hold a smaller basket of these names).

SE, MELI, AMZN, XBI, NVDA, FSLY, NFLX, PTON, TSLA, WMT, COST, MSFT, ZS, ADBE, DOCU, TAN, ICLN, SPOT, AMD, SQ, ROKU, FDX, CRWD, SPLK, PYPL, NERD, LVGO, TDOC, UPWK, PD, SW, PDD, COUP, ZM, WIX, TWLO, OKTA, HD, UPS, W, TTD, BJ, BBY, STNE, ETSY, CHWY, LOW, SWK, PINS, YETI, WORK, NET, GRUB, EBAY, DDOG, FLIR, SMNNY, FVRR, DIIBF, and MTCH.
Last edited by Nupey03 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illumination

Post by illumination »

illumination wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:54 am Apple.

Assuming this is a speculative play where you are trying to "beat" the market.

Not to toot my own horn, but this pick almost doubled in about 6 months. :sharebeer
gougou

Post by gougou »

Previously:
AMZN, TSLA, GLD, SLV, ASX:FMG

Had a blast this year.

Current picks:
EPD, SPG, EQR, ANTM

Planning to semi-retire on the distributions/dividends from these picks.

Good luck have fun :D
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

RUN - SunRun
this is a company that is beating Elon Musk in solar. That should tell you something.
RTF

Post by RTF »

What % of ones portfolio could to be allocated to individual stocks and still be “boglehead” approved? I seem to remember Jack saying something in the 5-10% range.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

CDSL which I last discussed buying here has done very well. I continue to put my investments in it.
Land/Real Estate:88.3% Equities:5.4% Fixed Income:3.9% Gold:1.7% Cryptocurrency:0.4%
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Stef wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 am SpaceX if I could.
Why won't Elon share? I want SpaceX too. :-)
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Assuming buy and hold probably Nvidia. I expect
AI to really take off in the next 10 years.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Just some ideas:

JPM, biggest US bank
ROST: Ross clothing stores
ABT: Abbot, makers of infant formula and other medical devices
COST: Costco
SBUX: Starbucks
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Lot of winners here. A quick glance shows several up over 100%. We should run these types of threads more often. :D
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
aqan

Post by aqan »

FelixTheCat wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:18 pm
Stef wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 am SpaceX if I could.
Why won't Elon share? I want SpaceX too. :-)
He’s the fourth richest man in world now. Need no shareholders.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

About 30 years ago I thought I'd venture into individual stocks with an eye on what the boomers might do as they age

1. energy - Exxon
2. health - Merk
3. retail - Target
4. tech - IBM
5. entertainment - Disney

I would have added Financial but worked in that industry and was getting my 401k match in their stock units.

I did ok -- but became a fan of Mr. Bogle and glad I did.

Today I'd probably buy Amazon. Well positioned with the decline in malls, pandemic and work from home - products, meds, entertainment, global, not much competition, etc. Today seems much riskier since the rate of change seems much greater.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

JNJ WMT MSFT HD MCD
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

vitaflo wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:11 pm Assuming buy and hold probably Nvidia. I expect
AI to really take off in the next 10 years.
In the book AI Superpowers, 2018, by Kai-Fu Lee, seven leaders in artificial intelligence are identified: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent. Lee calls them the Seven Giants of the AI age. "They're using billions of dollars in cash and dizzying stockpiles of data to gobble up available AI talent."

Among these, one is especially highlighted: Google.

"In terms of funding, Google dwarfs even its own government: U.S. federal funding for math and computer science research amounts to less than half Google's own R&D budget...Of the top one hundred AI researchers and engineers, around half are already working for Google."

The book discusses Nvidia a little, e.g. "The Ministry of Science and Technology is doling out large sums of money, naming as a specific goal the construction of a chip with performance and energy efficiency twenty times better than one of Nvidia's current offerings."

A review of the book itself,
https://seekingalpha.com/article/435148 ... ook-review
“I delight in what I fear.” ― Shirley Jackson
Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 »

Amazon, as I believe they will eventually rule the world. Should have bought it at 1770 in March. Whiffed. Now I have to wait for a crash. Timing is everything. Buying at or near the bottom of a crash isn’t super tough. When to sell is where most of us do a face plant. And that’s why individual stocks mostly disappoint.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

yangtui wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:52 pm I am a HUGE fan of BioAnal Sys (BASI).
I am not a huge fan of the name though. Ridiculous.