Anyone here depressed just looking at their portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
wander

Re: Anyone here depressed just looking at their portfolio?

Post by wander »

That's what investing is all about. Bull & Bear.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

kareysue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm My portfolio everyday when logging into vanguard is just red and red. Seems depressing just looking at it. How are you guys coping (for people who lost money) in the market now?
I wouldn't know. I dont look when markets are down :happy
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:14 am
MikeG62 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm I logged in today because DW asked what our current allocation was.
. . . . .
It is best not to look at the portfolio. . . .

Once seeing. . . .you can't un-see it. . . .

Look away. . . . look away. . . .

Actionably: there's no need to look at your portfolio unless you are rebalancing or managing funds.

j :happy
+1.

I think Jack Bogel said one only need to look at their account balance once per year.
I invest in broad indexes. Unless I turn off the tv and internet I see what the markets did and within 2 seconds can know how my portfolio was impacted. This head in the sand approach only works if you are really good at fooling yourself. If you need to not look you probably have too aggressive of an AA.
On the one hand I agree with you - unless one has a very complex portfolio one would generally have a reasonably good idea of the hit their portfolio has taken (I do for mine). Having said that, it does not mean one should or needs to look. After all, what is the purpose of looking if one is not planning to rebalance or in need of freeing up or moving some cash (this was Sandtraps point with which I agreed)? Morbid curiosity? I’ll look when and if I feel I need to do something or otherwise have some other compelling reason to do so. This is not the same as burying one’s head in the sand.

Further, a desire not to look does not necessarily mean one’s AA is too aggressive. For example, mine before the fall was around 35/65 equities to fixed income. Now it’s probably closer to 25/75 equities to fixed income. If equities fall a further 50% from yesterday’s close it won’t (in and of itself) dramatically affect my financial situation (i.e., my annual spend won’t change because of it - although by point of fact it has declined for the simple reason we are trapped inside and have cancelled all travel and aren’t otherwise spending on discretionary things). However, that does not mean I need to or should look at my portfolio.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm I logged in today because DW asked what our current allocation was.
. . . . .

Actionably: there's no need to look at your portfolio unless you are rebalancing or managing funds.

+1.

I think Jack Bogel said one only need to look at their account balance once per year.
If he did that was horrible advice. It's wise to log in very frequently, daily if possible, to monitor for unauthorized or just unexpected changes. There are times when I've been unable to do that for a week or so and that's not terrible, but does leave me feeling a little out of touch.
BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 »

Very simple solution:

Stop looking OR Look & Buy More/Rebalance
bestplans

Post by bestplans »

I only look at my emergency fund
jnet2000

Post by jnet2000 »

After 2008, being 100% in stocks, this is nothing. My asset allocation is 50/50 now, I have a large emergency fund, and I'm buying all the way down and all the way up. Staying the course.

Best advice, what I did in 2008. Ignore your investments and Bogleheads for a while. Seriously, focus on your hobbies, staying healthy and not on your investments.
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

kareysue wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm My portfolio everyday when logging into vanguard is just red and red. Seems depressing just looking at it. How are you guys coping (for people who lost money) in the market now?
Not having any coping issues, and I don't find the situatoin depressing - just maybe a little sad, but only because of other effects on my life and the lives of so many other people. I'm in the decumulation phase, and I'm guessing most Bogleheads who are are down in the neighborhood of a million dollars or more. Being sick - especially right now - would be depressing. My balance varies, as I would have expected - it would be silly to be depressed about something I knew could and probably would happen in terms of the market. The virus on the other hand... I guess I knew it could happen but it was off my radar as far as liklihood, compared to a market drop like the one we've experienced. On the other hand, I can envision specific events that could at least partly reverse the market drop, while in 2008/9 it was more unclear to me what those events could be.
BigBevo

Post by BigBevo »

Agree. Stay the course.

It's been hard on my end also as I am @ 10yrs away from retirment and losses have approached $1m. Like most of us, I have earned my money the hard way and worked for every penny...so to see it drop in the last four+ weeks has been tough, but more so I look at the market too much these days. When I was younger and working 80+ hours a week I didnt watch it daily.

It will come back. I sleep well at night reviewing the funds I am invested in and know how well they perform in the long term.

Good luck all! As others have said...turn off the computers and go do your hobbies and/or start new ones! Been awesome spending so much time with my kids who are stuck at home with me! :)
Jermbo

Post by Jermbo »

Not worried about the balance being down but a couple things i did that has made a world of difference to move on and focus on other things.

1) Fidelity has a hide account balance feature so i turned that on so i dont see whats happening to overall balance when i login.
2) Going against ultimate tax efficiency, i TLH harvested the ETFs I had and switched to mutual funds. This allowed me to setup automatic investing with each paycheck resulting in less i have to do manually and less opportunity to see what's going on with the market
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Someone wrote about when to care and when to not care, and knowing the difference. Those with better memories will help me with the quote.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

This is what happens with stocks. Regularly. This is what we all signed up for.

My bonds have been doing well, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to invest in stocks after they've dropped considerably since this is the most opportune time to build long term wealth. All the "I'm waiting for a dip" people should be thrilled.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

. . . . .

+1.

I really hate Jack's advice on looking .... I look at least weekly to ensure that nothing fraudulent is happening on the account. And sometimes to make donations to a DAF.

One other reason to look at your portfolio is to consider tax-loss harvesting in your taxable account. I didn't have much -- the long bull run since 09 left me with the good problem of few losses -- but there was some cleanup I did.

I'm not re-balancing much yet. Any withdrawals from the portfolio will be from the bond side of course.

And you have to look to see if you want to rebalance ....

To answer the OPs question, no it doesn't bother me that much. We have a conservative asset allocation to mitigate the damage from severe bear markets. And having gone through this in 08/09, I've had that feeling before of "wow, that's a pretty big loss."

Also, since I use quicken, when I download to get bank transactions, I get quotes and investment transactions downloaded as well. It's almost impossible for me to not look. But I think an investor should be able to look at what they own without panicking.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

I agree with the poster who said you have to look to insure no fraud. However, I always look in part to train my emotions. In reality if it causes you an severe adverse emotion, you most probably have the wrong AA. No one likes seeing reduced net worth, but if you can't look or it impacts your emotional well being you have the wrong asset allocation IMHO.
Travel1013

Post by Travel1013 »

Down seven figures, but not really, as earnings did not support 3400. Still up double digits annually for last decade.
'Aggressively re-allocated' (since bogleheads don"t market time lol) in 2000 and 08/09 and doing same now.
Only look at portfolio when making transactions.
Perhaps I am getting soft in my old age but my enthusiam for the current buying oppotunity is
somewhat dampened by the attendant human suffering.

Stay the course.
Take it day by day and scratch where it itches...
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

mhc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am I am not depressed by my portfolio. The human suffering that is occuring right now due to Covid-19 is much, much worse. It helps keep things in perspective. Yes, my portfolio is down a lot, but that does not even come close to the suffering people are going through. People who lose loved ones will never get them back. My portfolio will recover with time.
This!

Depressed about most likely temporary portfolio losses, not at all.

Depressed about the human suffering, absolutely. :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Firemenot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm No and I’m 100 percent in stock and I’m down BIG money. Doesn’t phase me though as I lived through the Great Recession and I’ve spent years educating myself on stock market history. I’m also a scientist-type personality which probably helps too.
The word is faze. #justsaying!
midareff

Post by midareff »

As of this AM M* says my portfolio is down 4.25% for the last 12 months. That number is less than my draw-down rate at 72 and retired. No doubt tough times are coming for many....... really tough. I've been through a few tough times in my life and while we will survive this one easily from a financial standpoint, our risk factors and age may make this the toughest one ever us and many. For those folks out there that thought they knew what their need, ability and willingness to take risk was, or just how much was an adequate emergency fund... I hope you were right since you will probably find out soon enough. For your headline, I'm not depressed. ... Black Swans happen, this one is just extra large and will fly away when it's done. Cash is king and opportunities will be around.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

There is probably only one genius or two (Cnc anyone?) who hasn't lost money.

That said, if looking at stocks makes you depressed, I think you ought to change your asset allocation going forward and have less in stocks and more in cash. Bonds have gotten hit as well - that got me depressed, and so now I am going to stay away from bonds as well! I won't sell those bonds (bond funds I mean) but I am definitely not buying more.
supercross

Post by supercross »

I go fishing........
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

More depressed when it goes up and I have more cash coming soon slotted for 401k.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I only see it once per month, normally
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
celia

Post by celia »

If looking at your portfolio EVERY DAY(???!!!) makes you depressed, why are you doing that? You need a better hobby! Really!

Go for a walk, follow a new recipe, read a book, sing along to some music, throw waded up paper into a trash can (or homemade hoop hanging from a door), call someone you haven’t talked to recently, etc.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I am not happy, but not depressed.

The stock market will recover. We will be fine in the meantime.

Find something else to do.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I am not as depressed as I thought I would be. I think we will turn things around in the next few months, and my job does not seem in jeopardy (for now at least). I am going to continue to invest my paycheck as I usually do. I have sufficient money in my savings account and over six figures in my taxable account should I need to access that.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

You need to view this as a buying opportunity.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Not depressed in the least. But I'm not a novice investor who has only experienced the good times. There are way too many investors who completely ignored that 4 letter word: RISK.
ruud

Post by ruud »

The 5% drop in munis bothers me more than the 25% drop in stocks.
Robertscz

Post by Robertscz »

Jermbo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 am Not worried about the balance being down but a couple things i did that has made a world of difference to move on and focus on other things.

1) Fidelity has a hide account balance feature so i turned that on so i dont see whats happening to overall balance when i login.
2) Going against ultimate tax efficiency, i TLH harvested the ETFs I had and switched to mutual funds. This allowed me to setup automatic investing with each paycheck resulting in less i have to do manually and less opportunity to see what's going on with the market

PLEASE tell me how to get to the fidelity "hide account" feature!! thats fantastic, and exactly what i need! thanks in advance!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I am not depressed.

- I still own a lot of shares of some of the biggest, most successful companies in the world
- We live in an environment that is very business friendly from a regulatory perspective
- The US government is standing at the ready to help out companies and the economy with cash
- Every government and central bank on earth is working 24x7 to defeat this virus, and get economies going again

And I own shares in all these great companies that are going to help with the recovery, and benefit from it. I think in the long term view of my investment horizon, this is just a blip.

I am far more worried about the human toll of all of this.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

I'm not depressed, but I am disappointed, as I was hoping to retire in a little more than a year, and that is no longer really a possibility, absent a rapid market recovery. Nevertheless, I'm sticking to the investing plan, contributing as usual and rebalancing to my AA. I am following my typical practice of avoiding looking at the totals when I can help it.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

My portfolio is money that I will not need for years. I'm not focusing on the balance right now. If I did, I'd keep in mind that my automated purchases are buying more shares than before this started.

Watching the news about the bodies piling up in temporary morgues in New York City is what depresses me. Each one is someone's Mom, Dad, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, or grandparent. And they had to die fighting to breathe, alone, because their family can't visit. Next to that, what's a portfolio balance?

What's really important in life? Focus on your loved ones and keeping them (and yourself) safe and healthy. The portfolio is only there to help service that objective.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

mhc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am I am not depressed by my portfolio. The human suffering that is occuring right now due to Covid-19 is much, much worse. It helps keep things in perspective. Yes, my portfolio is down a lot, but that does not even come close to the suffering people are going through. People who lose loved ones will never get them back. My portfolio will recover with time.
Well said.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

+1.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

No. I made rational choices when I set my AA. I am just glad we are healthy.
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

Nate79 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:58 pm Not depressed in the least. But I'm not a novice investor who has only experienced the good times. There are way too many investors who completely ignored that 4 letter word: RISK.

+1 I'd add another word - opportunity. Financially, not depressed at all.

The human tragedy unfolding is horrible - now that can be depressing.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

no; not depressed.

because i always kept(keep) in mind that investing involves risk. the current value of my portfolio is the result of risk that has become reality.

with that said, i am looking forward to the recovery when it comes - and it will come.

:sharebeer
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Jermbo

Post by Jermbo »

Robertscz wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:07 pm PLEASE tell me how to get to the fidelity "hide account" feature!! thats fantastic, and exactly what i need! thanks in advance!
The way to access is to click "customize" button in top left on the portfolio view page. It is just below the "Trade" button and above the view for all your accounts on the left.

Once you click that, a pop up screen will come up and you'll select "Account Display Preferences" and then check the "Hide my account balances". This will allow all your accounts to still show up but the balances will remain hidden. Once you go into each account you can still see your positions and balances of each individual account but I just appreciate not having the total amount view able easily.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

No, not at all. I have not sold anything, so no losses. 100% invested in VTSAX/VFIAX.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

My overall plan to fund my retirement is doing fine because it was designed to do fine in the face of fluctuations in my portfolio value.

How is your overall plan to fund your retirement or other goals doing?
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

While I would prefer to always have my portfolio gaining in value I realize that is not how investing works. I'm not worrying about my portfolio as all my worry energy goes towards thinking about the poor folks who are suffering through having Covid-19 or losing loved ones who it has taken.
AA- 20+ Years of Expenses Fixed Income/The remainder in Equities.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

I am not depressed. I am adding to VTI or VXUS each day using the Fidelity fractional share approach - throwing in some change at the market every day. It actually feels gratifying - although my port has taken a hit just like everyone else's.

Good luck and stay the course.

As others said, when I think about the havoc the pandemic is causing on the world, money is the last thing to worry about.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

. . . . .

I disagree, I think that it is critically important to monitor your portfolio to ensure that you have not been the victim of fraud or an administrative error.
Googliebear

Post by Googliebear »

Firemenot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm No and I’m 100 percent in stock and I’m down BIG money. Doesn’t phase me though as I lived through the Great Recession and I’ve spent years educating myself on stock market history. I’m also a scientist-type personality which probably helps too.
+1 to the T, except more the engineering type.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bikechuck wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 pm
. . . . .

I disagree, I think that it is critically important to monitor your portfolio to ensure that you have not been the victim of fraud or an administrative error.
Of course🤓
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Googliebear

Post by Googliebear »

BigBevo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am Agree. Stay the course.

It's been hard on my end also as I am @ 10yrs away from retirment and losses have approached $1m. Like most of us, I have earned my money the hard way and worked for every penny...so to see it drop in the last four+ weeks has been tough, but more so I look at the market too much these days. When I was younger and working 80+ hours a week I didnt watch it daily.

It will come back. I sleep well at night reviewing the funds I am invested in and know how well they perform in the long term.

Good luck all! As others have said...turn off the computers and go do your hobbies and/or start new ones! Been awesome spending so much time with my kids who are stuck at home with me! :)
Since the market is cyclical, and these corrections happen for one reason or another, I've always thought to myself I'd like to have a good downturn five years or so before retiring so I can retire into an up market. Certainly out of your control, but better having this event in your rearview mirror versus coming straight at you in your front windshield in retirement.

I'd consider Roth Conversions if you have the available cash for taxes to make a little lemonade out of this lemon.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I looked today because I pay my bills on the 2nd of the month and check my portfolio as part of that. Considering the magnitude of what has been going on I was happy with what I saw.

I do need to start thinking about re-balancing. I might re-think my ex-US allocation as well.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Don’t look at it. I haven’t logged in since Mar 4 and I don’t expect to until the end of the year.
wander

Post by wander »

manatee2005 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 pm
Don’t look at it. I haven’t logged in since Mar 4 and I don’t expect to until the end of the year.
I look at it everyday but don't feel much about it. I need two years to get our portfolio back to the peak before the crash and about 10+ years to retirement.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

kenyan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:24 pm I'm not depressed, but I am disappointed, as I was hoping to retire in a little more than a year, and that is no longer really a possibility, absent a rapid market recovery. Nevertheless, I'm sticking to the investing plan, contributing as usual and rebalancing to my AA. I am following my typical practice of avoiding looking at the totals when I can help it.
Same here. I was wishfully thinking I can retire next year, but now I will be a slave for 10 more years.