Anyone here depressed just looking at their portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
kareysue

Anyone here depressed just looking at their portfolio?

Post by kareysue » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm

My portfolio everyday when logging into vanguard is just red and red. Seems depressing just looking at it. How are you guys coping (for people who lost money) in the market now?

Dottie57

Re: Anyone here depressed just looking at their portfolio?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm

I believe the market will recover.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Don't look on bad days. Only look on the good days. Seriously.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

Firemenot

Post by Firemenot » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm

No and I’m 100 percent in stock and I’m down BIG money. Doesn’t phase me though as I lived through the Great Recession and I’ve spent years educating myself on stock market history. I’m also a scientist-type personality which probably helps too.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm

I logged in today because DW asked what our current allocation was.
. . . . .
It is best not to look at the portfolio. . . .

Once seeing. . . .you can't un-see it. . . .

Look away. . . . look away. . . .

Actionably: there's no need to look at your portfolio unless you are rebalancing or managing funds.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Not at all. What can I do about it? Nothing.

March2009

Post by March2009 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Not at all. I'm still DCA and I like buying stocks and bonds at a lower price. Plus when it comes time to rebalance, I will be able to own more shares of stock than what I had before.

Note the value I place on a stock is the dividend I expect it to pay out in the next 30+ years. I'm not buying a stock hoping a fool greater than me will pay more for it tomorrow.
In bear markets, stocks return to their rightful owners. - J.P. Morgan

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 pm

When I first started investing, I used to look every day. When my fund was higher, I was happy. When it was down, I was sad.

More than 13 years into this now, I only look to make sure that nothing fraudulent is going on. I couldn't tell you what my portfolio size is today to the nearest 20k. I'm not wealthy either, not by Boglehead standards. That number used to change in $50 moves. Now, it changes in $50,000 moves. I felt more emotion about it back when it making $50 moves than I do now. I think that's pretty telling.

I don't know what the difference really is. I don't know if it's because of time or what. It just became really unimportant to me to look. There are years that go by now where I don't honestly know what the market has done. I'm not exaggerating about that. It's just not important. I definitely know what's going on now, but that has more to do with the virus than it does with my portfolio. But most of the time, market performance is just noise. There are much more interesting things to do, puzzles that I can actually solve, ways that I can actually improve the quality of my life.

Investing for retirement is a long-term goal. When I'm feeling anxious about the future, I picture retirement as a sign that's in the far distance. I visualize myself looking at that sign in the distance and walking straight toward it on a grassy plain. There are countless distractions from that sign that I could embrace, worries such as "How can I build the best portfolio?" or "I'm concerned about the future. What's going to happen? How do I protect my money?" or "Everyone is making so much money owning XYZ. I should own XYZ, too, or I'll be left behind!"

But if you can just focus on that sign in the distance and remember that this whole thing we're practicing here is just an intelligent way of hitting a big savings goal, then the distractions tend to melt away. It doesn't matter if the market is down. You're still walking toward the goal, adding more money to it every payday. It doesn't matter if everybody is earning a higher return than you are. You're still moving toward that goal. It doesn't matter if your friend looks smarter than you or has more money than you, your focus is on the goal.

- Tim

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:34 pm

kareysue wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm
My portfolio everyday when logging into vanguard is just red and red. Seems depressing just looking at it. How are you guys coping (for people who lost money) in the market now?
By realizing and rekindling that ol nauseous feeling from Fall 2008 through the beginning of March 2009. The market was down over 50% and losses hurt about 2.2x worse than gains feel good. So...a whole lot worse back then and the truly freefall was 6-8 months and we are just getting done with month 1 now. Losses below 30% really aren't anything but the problem is that when they occur you have no idea when things will clear up and everyone doubles the loss in their media predictions so when we go down 30% everyone says we will eventually get to 60%. Was also true in March 2009 when we the pundits were calling for Dow 3,000. If you've kept your job or at least 50% of it to pay the bills it shouldn't be that bad...yet.

bampf

Post by bampf » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 pm

timboktoo wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 pm
When I first started investing, I used to look every day. When my fund was higher, I was happy. When it was down, I was sad.

More than 13 years into this now, I only look to make sure that nothing fraudulent is going on. I couldn't tell you what my portfolio size is today to the nearest 20k. I'm not wealthy either, not by Boglehead standards. That number used to change in $50 moves. Now, it changes in $50,000 moves. I felt more emotion about it back when it making $50 moves than I do now. I think that's pretty telling.

I don't know what the difference really is. I don't know if it's because of time or what. It just became really unimportant to me to look. There are years that go by now where I don't honestly know what the market has done. I'm not exaggerating about that. It's just not important. I definitely know what's going on now, but that has more to do with the virus than it does with my portfolio. But most of the time, market performance is just noise. There are much more interesting things to do, puzzles that I can actually solve, ways that I can actually improve the quality of my life.

Investing for retirement is a long-term goal. When I'm feeling anxious about the future, I picture retirement as a sign that's in the far distance. I visualize myself looking at that sign in the distance and walking straight toward it on a grassy plain. There are countless distractions from that sign that I could embrace, worries such as "How can I build the best portfolio?" or "I'm concerned about the future. What's going to happen? How do I protect my money?" or "Everyone is making so much money owning XYZ. I should own XYZ, too, or I'll be left behind!"

But if you can just focus on that sign in the distance and remember that this whole thing we're practicing here is just an intelligent way of hitting a big savings goal, then the distractions tend to melt away. It doesn't matter if the market is down. You're still walking toward the goal, adding more money to it every payday. It doesn't matter if everybody is earning a higher return than you are. You're still moving toward that goal. It doesn't matter if your friend looks smarter than you or has more money than you, your focus is on the goal.

- Tim
This is a great post. Well said.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 pm

I tend to avoid looking at it in times like this, but I see the S&P level on the news, and I can ballpark what my balance is just from that.
From hearing the way others react to it though, I apparently don't get phased as easily... but I expected times like these, not the "why" per se, but that something would happen.
I am annoyed with Fidelity though. I use them for a lot of banking through there CMA account, I had set my login to go directly to the "Manage Money" portion of the CMA which only shows me my cash balance, recent transactions, and bill pay .. if I wanted to see my 401k or other account balances I would have to click through other portfolio options... but NOW it ignores my default login screen, and forces me to go to some splash screen where Fidelity wants to let me know how concerned they are about the turmoil and wants to guide me through it with a stupid menu which gives me no option to jump to "manage money" and forces me to go through the portfolio section where I see all my balances. If they weren't so busy right now, I'd probably call and complain.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 pm

I drink.

MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 pm

kareysue wrote:
"Focus on what you can control." Which isn't what the market is going to do.

Also: "This, too, shall pass."

Which doesn't mean that the market is guaranteed to recover by any particular time, but you WILL move on with your life no matter what level it settles down to.

This is my 3rd major-ish market downturn (2000s dot-com crash and 2008 were the first two). I "coped" with the first two by being distracted by other things.

For the 1st, I had a new baby to play with AND was finishing up a five year software project that I *REALLY* wanted to see ship.

For the 2nd, I was distracted by my father dying (and the lead up to that, and the aftermath to that) in mid-2008.

There is a lot more to life than the numbers in your Vanguard account, especially if you are several decades from retirement.

Focus on what you can control and focus on the rest of your life.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm

kareysue wrote:
At times like these I focus on what is truly important - my relationships.

Yes living in dire poverty for an extending period would probably greatly stress those relationship and reduce the quality of my life, but 1) we aren’t there yet and things may well turn around and 2) even if this is the end, I’ll enjoy it until the moment it is over.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:56 pm

Even though I have lost a decent amount of money I still feel good looking at my portfolio. It did roughly what I wanted it to do when the markets hit some turbulence.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Train yourself not to log in and look every day. I'm not kidding; it helps to look infrequently. Not looking not only smooths out market fluctuations, it soothes out your mind.
Regards, | | Guy

bligh

Post by bligh » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 pm

I admit it, I am a bit depressed about it. I am down several hundred K at this point. It hurts.

The thing that worries me more is the impact to my work and income in the coming months. If my income holds steady during this bear market I will come out the other side better than ever... but I worry that it won't.

My plan is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 pm

dmcmahon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 pm
I drink.
+1 hehe. Then I think about the next round of buying. Yes, we have pension income > expenses.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 pm

kareysue wrote:
when logging into vanguard is just red and red
[sarcasm] Mine too. I think it's their color scheme. [/sarcasm]

[sarcasm] Most computers or web browsers can "invert colors". Try that. [/sarcasm]

Honest exercise: Do you dwell over spilled milk/coffee/water? I would guess you don't. It's normal to be "sad"... maybe. But depressed is a little strong. I'm not dismissing your feelings, but what can you do about it now? This market implosion nuclear disaster 5 alarm blaze sewer backup tornado blankedy blank will pass. Chin up, you'll live to tell stories soon enough.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 pm

kareysue wrote:
Risk goes down and getting an opportunity to invest is depressing?

Weird

I think it’s awesome 👏
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 pm

I have limited time to focus on long-term concerns, so I prioritize. In normal times, long-term planning is mostly keeping an eye on retirement savings. These days, long-term planning is minimizing the risk I get sick. To enjoy retirement I'll need to be alive, preferably with unravaged lungs.

Marylander1

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:05 pm

75/81 and retired since 1/2007. Yes, I find it depressing and unsettling to see our portfolios going down the toilet. Glad some of you think it's awesome. But we're just going to hang in there and hope it recovers while we're still on this side of the grass.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Of course I'm depressed when I look at my portfolio. I was depressed in December 2018, too, but that decline soon changed into a period of sustained growth. This decline probably won't do that. Nevertheless, I'm staying the course. And like @Marylander1, staying alive is my number one priority these days.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm

flaccidsteele wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Risk goes down and getting an opportunity to invest is depressing?

Weird

I think it’s awesome 👏
+1

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:14 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised to how calm/unfazed I have been. That said on a percentage basis my losses are not large.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Not at all. What can I do about it? Nothing.
This. I have years to go before retirement age. I have a stable job. Family is healthy. Roof over my head. Family game time at night. Why be depressed?
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Not at all. I get excited by these dips at my age.

Bama12

Post by Bama12 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:54 pm

Not at all i'm making money.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:01 pm

Depressed? Not at all :dollar
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:02 pm

kareysue wrote:
Stop logging in every day and looking at your portfolio.

The market says the value of my portfolio is down by....oh, a house worth or two.....

But the number of shares I'll have 10 years from now keeps going up every week.

The only time prices matters is when I buy and when I sell. Anything in between is just noise.

Seriously. Stop looking at it.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:18 pm

If it’s any consolation, the market is up 10% since last monday. That’s about the average annual return of the market. A year’s return in just over a week.

Cherry picked? Of course!

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 pm

I’ve been investing for 22 years so it doesn’t bother me, even though my portfolio’s big enough that this relatively smallish percentage drop is the largest I’ve experienced in monetary terms.

Looking back, educating myself about investing was a big help. I read several books that bolstered my faith in the mechanism.

And anyway this is life, “be happy don’t worry.”
Gnirk wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:05 pm
75/81 and retired since 1/2007. Yes, I find it depressing and unsettling to see our portfolios going down the toilet. Glad some of you think it's awesome. But we're just going to hang in there and hope it recovers while we're still on this side of the grass.
Yeah this is the tough part. I’ll be with you in a year and a half, hopefully above the grass! :happy
Last edited by tetractys on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:37 pm

kareysue wrote:
Did you forget to look last week?

vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 pm

I trained my brain a long time ago to see a crash like this as a blue light special for new money. I assume this is your first major crash.

honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 pm

I view it as opportunity, rightly or wrongly in others views. Chance to add at much lower prices with fresh cash, reallocation and/or dividend reinvestment.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 am

I calculate my portfolio balance at the end of each month. Today I felt a little bit depressed with my total balance.
OK, I guess that I am not really depressed by the portfolio, I am really depressed by the uncertainty of the future course with this virus.

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:18 am

yangtui wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:56 pm
Even though I have lost a decent amount of money I still feel good looking at my portfolio. It did roughly what I wanted it to do when the markets hit some turbulence.
You haven’t lost anything unless you sold
VTSAX and chill

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 am

Try this fun activity:

1. Go count up all your index fund tickers & share counts and stick them in a spreadsheet. First column ticker, second column # shares.
2. Now go grab the price of those tickers on or around Feb 20th stick that in the 3rd column.
3. Multiply column 2 by column 3.

As you accumulate shares, update this spreadsheet with the new share counts. Now just wait patiently until the S&P 500 hits the Feb 20th highs, this might take 12-18 months... perhaps a bit longer. Congrats, you didn't capitulate and are just as wealthy, perhaps more so just by reframing how you are looking at your portfolio.

The bottom line: if you don't plan on retiring for a while -- till at least the S&P 500 hits 3380 again, then the price between now and then matters only for your new shares, not those you already own.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 am

kareysue wrote:
The long-term nominal annual 9%-10% return of the stock market INCLUDES all the crashes.

You didn't have to avoid the crashes in the past to become wealthy.

Your portfolio goes down, and then it goes up again. It's just temporary (although, I can't lie, there's at least a 1% chance that it might not go up again - the past may not mirror the future).

Sorry, I'm sure my disclaimer didn't help.

I am 45/55 stocks/bonds... I'm quite certain (although not 100% certain) that the stock side will come back someday and grow to new heights... and it will do it so fast that it will be like this crash never happened...

But even if it doesn't, my 55% bonds/CDs/cash side is enough to keep my family warm, fed, and dry for many years to come.

That's how I cope. :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:30 am

No. My concern for my portfolio is dwarfed by my concerns about the pandemic and the economy.

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm
. . . . .
I hope that was a joke.

I wonder how many spouses even know what the AA is in the portfolio. My wife was off by a factor of 2 in our net worth when I asked her some years ago. She may say 60:40 for our AA if she remembers what I have said -- but it isn't something we ever really talk about. Probably not in the top 100 things we talk about either.

As a matter of fact, I don't even remember talking to her about AA & risk tolerance when setting our AA. I told her after I die, she can just let the investments go for the most part. But I do have a document telling her what to do after I am gone (or for me when the mind starts to slip)
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 am

In 2008, I was busy learning a lot about investing, doing tax loss harvesting, worried a little but keeping my eye on things.

I am stunned that the market turmoil doesn't bother me much at all, especially given the dollar amount lost. It is almost as if I don't care for some reason.

Estimated yearly spending available = (Current total after tax assets/remaining years) still looks good
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

Doctopetala

Post by Doctopetala » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 am

No, and I'm surprised it's not getting to me more.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:38 am

Hoping it drops 80% and stay down for 5 years while I continue to buy. When it goes back, I will make 5x of that. Fast forward my retirement date by 20 years. Now, that will be the best case scenario.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 am

Markets go up 10% one day and down 10% the next. Neither move will have any impact on what my portfolio will be worth once I need to draw from it decades down the road. The lower it goes the more excited I get because it means I can buy stocks cheaper, and my contribution rate now is much higher than it was even a year or two ago. If you look back throughout history, every single major US market crash has been an absolutely amazing time to buy stocks. Could this time be different? Maybe, but I'm willing to bet it's not.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:43 am

JoinToday wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 am
Sandtrap wrote:
. . . . .
I hope that was a joke.

I wonder how many spouses even know what the AA is in the portfolio. My wife was off by a factor of 2 in our net worth when I asked her some years ago. She may say 60:40 for our AA if she remembers what I have said -- but it isn't something we ever really talk about. Probably not in the top 100 things we talk about either.

As a matter of fact, I don't even remember talking to her about AA & risk tolerance when setting our AA. I told her after I die, she can just let the investments go for the most part. But I do have a document telling her what to do after I am gone (or for me when the mind starts to slip)
DW is also a "boglehead". She takes care of her elderly mom's estate and portfolio. Manages 4 brokerage accounts. Does well.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:52 am

The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
The doctor says, "Then don't do that!"

-- Henny Youngman
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 am

Sandtrap wrote:
. . . . .

Actionably: there's no need to look at your portfolio unless you are rebalancing or managing funds.

+1.

I think Jack Bogel said one only need to look at their account balance once per year.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:14 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 am
Sandtrap wrote:
. . . . .

+1.

I think Jack Bogel said one only need to look at their account balance once per year.
I invest in broad indexes. Unless I turn off the tv and internet I see what the markets did and within 2 seconds can know how my portfolio was impacted. This head in the sand approach only works if you are really good at fooling yourself. If you need to not look you probably have too aggressive of an AA.

To answer the OPs question, I am coping fine. It will recover. Though it isn't fun, I am actually feeling not so bad about it. The run up was incredible and I knew it wouldn't continue forever without a significant dip.

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am

I am not depressed by my portfolio. The human suffering that is occuring right now due to Covid-19 is much, much worse. It helps keep things in perspective. Yes, my portfolio is down a lot, but that does not even come close to the suffering people are going through. People who lose loved ones will never get them back. My portfolio will recover with time.