Balancing SEP IRA with Brokerage account as a Real Estate Investor

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jec1521

Balancing SEP IRA with Brokerage account as a Real Estate Investor

Post by jec1521 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi all,

I have opened a SEP IRA with guidance from my accountant. I am a Real Estate Agent/Builder/Investor. 30 years old. I am struggling to figure out how much to put in the SEP IRA.

Here are my accounts:

Joint Brokerage Acct ~$30k Half IVV/ITOT Other half is MSFT

SEP IRA - ~$20k Split IVV/ITOT/QQQ

I have much of my net worth in a real estate project right now that is closing within a month. Probably around ~300k. Plan on putting some of this in the market. Would it be foolish to invest some of it in my brokerage account and not the SEP IRA so I can have access to it if I want/need it for the next real estate project? My max contribution to the SEP IRA is around $40k. Would it be foolish NOT to max it out this year?

retired@50

Re: Balancing SEP IRA with Brokerage account as a Real Estate Investor

Post by retired@50 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 pm

jec1521 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:09 pm

I have much of my net worth in a real estate project right now that is closing within a month. Probably around ~300k. Plan on putting some of this in the market. Would it be foolish to invest some of it in my brokerage account and not the SEP IRA so I can have access to it if I want/need it for the next real estate project? My max contribution to the SEP IRA is around $40k. Would it be foolish NOT to max it out this year?
It seems as though you need to create a distinction between your working capital for the business and your personal retirement funds.

Regards,
Boggle - a game from Parker Brothers. Bogle - investor, founder of Vanguard.