VG Stock Index Funds - Wash Rule

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
murray1723

VG Stock Index Funds - Wash Rule

Post by murray1723 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 pm

I may sell much of my VG stock index funds, with the intent of buying them back based on market moves. Is there a list anywhere of what funds I could subsequently buy and not be subject to the wash rule? I own Total Stock Mkt Idx, 500 Idx, Growth Idx, Mid-Cap Idx, Small-Cap Idx, Total Int'l Stock Idx, and Emerging Mkts Stock Idx in various combinations across a Brokerage Acct, Inherited IRA, Rollover IRA, and Roth IRA. If I sold 500 Idx, for example, could I turn around and buy Total Stock Mkt Idx within wash period and not have an issue? I want to stay with VG no-load index funds, but am not necessarily limited to the above list.

HomeStretch

Re: VG Stock Index Funds - Wash Rule

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 pm

A S&P 500 fund and Total Stock Market fund are good tax loss harvesting (TLH) partners. The BH wiki page on TLH discusses wash sales and substitute funds for TLH:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_loss_harvesting

rkhusky

Re: VG Stock Index Funds - Wash Rule

Post by rkhusky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 pm

For Total Stock, 500 and Growth Index, use Large Cap.

For Total International, use FTSE All World ex US. (Using latter for Emerging Markets would work even if it is not as close)

For Small Cap and Mid Cap, use Extended Market.

Note that TLH only holds for a taxable account. Watch out for selling in taxable and buying in an IRA - you will permanently disallow your loss. And reinvested dividends also count for purchases. (For example, selling 500 Index and Total Stock in taxable and buying Total Stock in an IRA is a wash)