Help Choosing Money Market Funds (Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
AC9255

Help Choosing Money Market Funds (Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard)

Post by AC9255 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 am

Hi Bogleheads,

I have money market funds at Charles Schwab, Fidelity, And Vanguard. I find myself questioning if where I currently have the money is the best /safest money market funds to be in. I am concerned with preservation of capital and not looking to chase returns. I was hoping that some of the boglehead community members would be kind enough to provide some advice. I want to keep the money spread between all three companies and not look to move to other institutions.

Marital Status: Single, no dependents
Residence: NY

Currently have my money in the following:

Charles Schwab: Schwab Value Advantage Money Fund (SWVXX)

Fidelity: Fidelity Money Market Premium Class (FZDXX)

Vanguard: Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (VMFXX)

Are these fine or should I switch to something else? Thank you all, please stay safe.

AC

mega317

Re: Help Choosing Money Market Funds (Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard)

Post by mega317 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:38 pm

What specifically are you worried about? I suppose a treasury money market is a little safer. Or roll 4 week bills. Or FDIC products.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Topic Author
AC9255

Post by AC9255 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:43 pm

mega317,

Thank you for replying. I DEFINITELY been following the bogleheads forum a little to closely as of late. There were several posts concerned the holdings (other then us treasuries, etc.) in the prime money market funds that just started to concern me along with talk that prime fund holders were switching to treasury funds.

Started to get the herd mentality, and felt they may know more then me. I always believed these were extremely safe. Just got worried. I did switch those respective funds to:

Schwab: US Treasury Money Fund (SNSXX)

Fidelity: Treasury Only Money Market Fund (FDLXX)

Vanguard: Treasury Money Market Fund (VUSXX)

I have other funds invested in equities and ride the ups and downs wherever they may go. The money market funds are not for that purpose.

AC

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:52 am

My game plan this year in taxable was muni market funds/non taxable in the FiDo Premium.
With the COVID crisis I've abandoned and hedged into more of the Treasury MMF funds, but not 100%, but a lot.

Generally VG seems better than FiDo re: % return so I keep an eye on that and maybe shift more to VG.
But now I give up and see what shakes out.
Last edited by TBillT on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 am

I wouldn't roll bills right now unless you can absolutely hold to maturity. Quite a hassle to sell them at the moment. See my below thread on how much time it took me to sell 2 bills in the last week. Was ridiculous.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=309146

I would do FDIC products or a Treasury MM if you want safety.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Topic Author
AC9255

Post by AC9255 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 pm

welderwannabe,

I had seen your thread prior to my post. Treasury MM is the way I went. Thanks.

AC