Individual stocks

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mario2222

Individual stocks

Post by Mario2222 »

Any recommendations for a good two solid individual stocks to add to my portfolio ? I already picked Disney.Long term investment.
dbr

Re: Individual stocks

Post by dbr »

The general wisdom here is that individual stock investing is not wise because undiversified risk means you take more risk for the same return than if you were invested in a large number of stocks in a fund. Greater risk means your chances for gaining a lot or losing a lot are much greater.

This forum might be a good place to ask about individual stock picks: https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Stocks/bd-p/stocks
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Mario2222 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 pm Any recommendations for a good two solid individual stocks to add to my portfolio ? I already picked Disney.Long term investment.
Definitely! Look at Total Stock Market Index Fund. Don’t search for the needle in the haystack, own the haystack!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Jack Bogle said investors should not own individual stocks as the risk is to high.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Walmart? But it's probably too late.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:13 pm Jack Bogle said investors should not own individual stocks as the risk is to high.
+1
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

valleyrock wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:15 pm Walmart? But it's probably too late.
Total Stock Has the market weight of Walmart!

Besides what makes you conclude Walmart is a good stock to speculate in? Because you drive past the local store and see a lot of cars? I hope you know Warren Buffett sold out of it recently! Investors like Mr. Buffett are on the other aide of your speculative trade!
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Mario2222 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 pm Any recommendations for a good two solid individual stocks to add to my portfolio ? I already picked Disney.Long term investment.
I would think there is still significant downside risk to travel and entertainment. 2nd quarter is going to be horrible. I don’t hold individual stocks.
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

$ZM and $WORK :)