Wiring funds from foreign bank to Vanguard US account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ak1567

Wiring funds from foreign bank to Vanguard US account

Post by ak1567 »

Hi all,

Trying to wire funds from my UK bank account to the US investment account using XE Money Transfer. Unfortunately my wire was sent back to XE with a note "Receiver refuses payment". Have you had this issue before?

Vanguard "pay by wire" instructions give me the following information: FRB ABA#, Vanguard Brokerage Incoming Wire Account (for credit to), my brokerage account number (in favor of).

XE is asking me to fill out the following information:

1. Bank account number: I've put Vanguard Brokerage Incoming Wire Account # (should this instead be my brokerage account #? Doesn't seem to make sense though)
2. ABA Routing Number: I've used FRB ABA#
3. Payment reference (optional): I've put my brokerage account # here.

Anyone with experience doing wire transfers to Vanguard? Anything I'm missing?

Many thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Wiring funds from foreign bank to Vanguard US account

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Could it be that Vanguard is blocking the transfer because the money is coming from outside the US?

You may have to call them and ask.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

I was unable to make a Transferwise transfer from abroad to my Vanguard account. I wonder if anyone ever managed to do that. VGD customer service was no help.
plats

Post by plats »

I've never been able to figure out how to wire funds directly to Vanguard even after talking to their support team. I wire to my bank, then pull from Vanguard.
Topic Author
ak1567

Post by ak1567 »

Thank you all for chiming in. At least now I know I'm not alone in this. Seems very odd Vanguard has instructions for international wires specifically, but they don't work apparently.

I've been working on re-routing the funds to my bank account. At least XE has been quite good about keeping me in the loop every step of the way.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

wesgreen wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm I was unable to make a Transferwise transfer from abroad to my Vanguard account. I wonder if anyone ever managed to do that. VGD customer service was no help.
This seems to have become easier. After you link the TransferWise account to Vanguard, which takes a few days, you can do a ACH pull from VGD for free, or a ACH push from TransferWise for 28 cents.
So you could push US dollars from a foreign bank for free to TW, and then pull them into VGD. TW is pretty quick.