Could EE bonds doubling time increase?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
alil

Could EE bonds doubling time increase?

Post by alil »

Given the recent drop in the US bond yields, could the Treasury increase the doubling time for the EE bonds on May 1st?

Currently EE bonds are guaranteed to double in value after 20 years meaning EE bonds effectively pay 3.5% interest.

If that's a possibility is anyone who buys EE bonds yearly plans to buy them before May 1st?

Thank you.
samsoes

Re: Could EE bonds doubling time increase?

Post by samsoes »

Treasury can do whatever they want regarding yet-to-be-purchased EE bonds. Currently held bonds, no.

In all likelihood, since most folks don't hold EE bonds for the full 20 years, no changes will be made.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Asked in another thread, and answered ...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=306555#p5080174
I really hope not. Fed funds rate was 0 from 2009-2015 and they didn't change it then. The current yield curve is really weird though.
It also seems like an especially weird time to go after the 'little guy.'
Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX »

I have some paper EE bonds from like 2003 in my safe. I can't wait for them to hit the doubling date. It's been a longtime to lock up my monies but the last time I calculated my CAGR to maturity it was like over 10%, so I am patiently waiting.

For me I'm done with EE bonds, now my 3% real rate I bonds I plan on keeping till maturity.

Enzo
Angst

Post by Angst »

samsoes wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 pmmost folks don't hold EE bonds for the full 20 years
Where did you find this information?
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Deleted
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)