Is it Possible to Opt-out of Fidelity Premium Services?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
aj76er

Is it Possible to Opt-out of Fidelity Premium Services?

Post by aj76er »

A few months ago, I must have crossed some magical threshold at Fidelity because in the upper right-hand corner I now have some advisor person's name pop-up on my accounts page. Furthermore, I've been starting to receive "strategic" bulk emails from this person with links to generic Fidelity articles about finances, markets, investor behavior pitfalls, etc. This latest email showed up this morning, perfectly timed with the latest bout of market volatility, and contained all sorts of "helpful" article links related to markets performance during pandemics, etc.

I'm starting to have a very visceral reaction to this and would prefer to not be bothered by this person. It seems very unnerving to me that this person's name just shows up above my portfolio to make it "look" like they are suddenly managing things. I've been a DIY investor for over 20yrs and have never once used (or hope to ever use) an AUM fee-sucking financial advisor. I find myself double-checking the transaction page to ensure they aren't siphoning off fees.

The latest email also infuriates me because I know they are trying to capitalize on any fear or uncertainty I may have. I've remained cool and calm during the latest bout of volatility, but this financial advisor's tactics bothers me greatly.

In the very bottom of the email, in tiny text, it says this:

To stop receiving account service communications by email, log in to your Fidelity account and turn off the "Account activity and service emails" indicator.

I can't even find that switch, but turning it off would make me concerned that I might miss something important related to my account. Combining an "opt-out for bulk emails" with a legitimate alert is just one more tactic that I find distasteful.

Anyway, if you are a "Premium Service" member, how do you deal with this? Do you simply ignore the emails and the Advisor name hanging over your portfolio? If I complain to Fidelity, will they remove the advisor from my account? Is there a way to opt-out of Fidelity Premium Services?
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

Re: Is it Possible to Opt-out of Fidelity Premium Services?

Post by 123 »

Probably easiest to just ignore it and unsubscribe any undesired emails from Fidelity that include that opportunity. If you pick up the phone or get an email them asking for an appointment just respond that you're not interested and prefer to do things on your own, but that you will call them if you have any questions or concerns.

My take it that if you have a significant cash/MMF position in an account the brokers will target you. With Schwab I found that after I switched from a three fund portfolio to a 100% LifeStrategy position in retirement accounts they stopped calling me. I guess they realized that I had picked Vanguard as my "financial adviser".

Edited to addL
Fidelity also has a "Private Client" level, advice is the same.
Last edited by 123 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Lombarto

Post by Lombarto »

The same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago. I also recently got a phone call from my "advisor" wanting to get together to discuss my investments. (The call went to voice mail.) I've just ignored this.
Third Son

Post by Third Son »

My experience with Fidelity is that they try to gently push their products but cease to do so if you request. Just say no :D. I find their approach very non invasive.
"A part of all you earn is yours to keep" | | -The Richest Man in Babylon
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

I can relate to much of what you say. Much of their marketing approach really turns me off in how they're trying to "reach out and be of help." (I really dislike the term "reach out" and if I need something, I have consistently found it faster to just call their regular 800 number rather than to try to reach my assigned Fidelity Premium services rep who always seemed to be "unavailable at the moment.") My rep's assistant contacts me once a year to schedule a meeting and I cooperate and listen patiently to the "adviser" frame Fidelity in the most positive way possible. They seem to be well-coached in marketing Fidelity as they should be.

The only negative I can think of for opting out of the Fidelity Premium Services would be the possible loss of free Turbotax (which is a REAL Premium service!!)

I like the ease of using Fidelity website and their Visa card with unlimited 2% cash rebates. But while the personal reps mean well, I personally like being able to reach "whomever" is immediately available at the 800 number when I have a question. (And I've actually identified a couple of the outstanding ones in other cities and keep their contacts in my phone contacts. I suppose I like to be the one to pick my own premium adviser.)

I would like a rep who would act in my best interests rather than the firm's. Think of the Santa in the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" who was overheard by a floorwalker directing a Macy's customer to Gimbels because they had "just the present" that her daughter wanted. But now I'm dreaming. There are no Santas on Wall Street. Buyer, beware. You're on your own. It's your future; take it seriously.

Just my 2 cents worth. (And for what it's worth, I felt the same way about Vanguard's Flagship client rep assignments.) That said, both Fidelity and Vanguard are exemplary organizations. Investors are better off because of what they've each built. I find some products I like at Fidelity and others that I like at Vanguard. But please, let me be the one "reaching out!" Keep your hands to yourself.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Don't know about Fidelity, but my Citibank account lists "Your Financial Advisor: NATIONAL INVESTOR CENTER", so I know there's not an individual advisor. However, they keep trying to foist a "relationship manager" that they've assigned to me, who's main job seems to be to route me to the local financial advisor. It's hard to stop the flow of selling when everything is designed for that purpose. FWIW, I've cut ties as much as possible, and only a couple of steps away from terminating my relationship with them. It will be harder to cut out Fidelity or Vanguard, but Schwab may be a suitable alternative. I'm trying to pare down all the accounts, and after closing all the unnecessary or minimally used ones, I'm starting to cut some with lesser benefits, but less optimal overall results, but simpler.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

I am a Premium Services member and am also a DIY investor. I find their support very helpful and insights useful.

They haven’t pushed products in me but have been helpful in their suggestions.

Might consider a meeting to see if you like the Rep. Never know when it might be helpful.

WoodSpinner
Chip

Post by Chip »

I don't like those kinds of emails or phone calls either. "Reach out" is one of the more distateful euphemisms.

I'm at Fidelity and get none. In the past, when I did, I told them to stop. As others have mentioned, it worked. Somehow I've managed to not even have an advisor name on my accounts.

But I still get free TurboTax. :happy
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

I get similar emails a couple times a month from Fidelity. I also get similar emails from Schwab who holds my 401k. Who cares? I get far more silly emails from any store I've ever bought something from each week than I do Fidelity. In fact, the title of the Fidelity emails is clear enough that I don't even open them before deleting.
Topic Author
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

I found where to turn off the emails.

1. Go To "Account Features"
2. At the very bottom, there is a link: "View and edit personal information and preferences in your profile"
3. In the bottom right, there is a box with a link: "Electronic/paper mail preferences"
4. Near the bottom of the page, one can Opt-Out of "Account activity and service emails" and "Financial insights and education emails". I believe the former will turn off the advisor emails.

I wish I could Opt-Out of the "Premium Services" and remove some advisor name from appearing over my accounts. I could probably call and request this, but for now I'll leave things be.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

For my Fidelity managed ESPP I received unsolicited emails around customer experience surveys with similar references to nonexistent 'switches' on the website where supposedly I could opt out. I had similar negative reaction however a phone call straightened this our pretty quickly. Agent basically said she had to invoke some sort of offline process to opt me out; this seems to have worked but still very annoying the extra hoops to jump through and misleading communication.
eukonomos

Post by eukonomos »

Retired1809 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:14 pm
I would like a rep who would act in my best interests rather than the firm's. Think of the Santa in the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" who was overheard by a floorwalker directing a Macy's customer to Gimbels because they had "just the present" that her daughter wanted. But now I'm dreaming. There are no Santas on Wall Street. Buyer, beware. You're on your own. It's your future; take it seriously.
I've met with my rep a couple of times. He's made some suggestions, but not pushy. When I told him I started a side gig and would open a solo 401k, he said I should do a Roth. "Even though Fidelity doesn't offer a Roth solo 401k?" "Yep."
He was right.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Third Son wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:20 pm My experience with Fidelity is that they try to gently push their products but cease to do so if you request. Just say no :D. I find their approach very non invasive.
+1
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

You don't think you're getting those zero ER's for nothing do you? :happy Fidelity wants to pull you in, then get you into the profit zone. :dollar

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

I personally think the OP is overreacting.

I've been Fidelity Private Client for something over 10 years now. I'm no the third VP/Advisor assigned to me, but this one has been there for over 5 years. He called me one-time, and that was just to introduce himself as the replacement for the previous. His words to me: "I know you are DIY, so I will respect that. I won't call you unless you ask me to. All I ask is that you talk to me before you decide to move money out of Fidelity." That was a pleasantly reasonable request.

Since that time I have called him a couple of times, and he has been an enormous help with some sticky situations (trusts, partnerships, etc.).

As for the emails, I get them too but either ignore them if the subject isn't interesting or read them if they are. Much like emails I get from Bloomberg and Forbes. No biggy. Some have been interesting.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

aj76er wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 pm A few months ago, I must have crossed some magical threshold at Fidelity because in the upper right-hand corner I now have some advisor person's name pop-up on my accounts page. Furthermore, I've been starting to receive "strategic" bulk emails from this person with links to generic Fidelity articles about finances, markets, investor behavior pitfalls, etc. This latest email showed up this morning, perfectly timed with the latest bout of market volatility, and contained all sorts of "helpful" article links related to markets performance during pandemics, etc.

I'm starting to have a very visceral reaction to this and would prefer to not be bothered by this person. It seems very unnerving to me that this person's name just shows up above my portfolio to make it "look" like they are suddenly managing things. I've been a DIY investor for over 20yrs and have never once used (or hope to ever use) an AUM fee-sucking financial advisor. I find myself double-checking the transaction page to ensure they aren't siphoning off fees.

The latest email also infuriates me because I know they are trying to capitalize on any fear or uncertainty I may have. I've remained cool and calm during the latest bout of volatility, but this financial advisor's tactics bothers me greatly.

In the very bottom of the email, in tiny text, it says this:

To stop receiving account service communications by email, log in to your Fidelity account and turn off the "Account activity and service emails" indicator.

I can't even find that switch, but turning it off would make me concerned that I might miss something important related to my account. Combining an "opt-out for bulk emails" with a legitimate alert is just one more tactic that I find distasteful.

Anyway, if you are a "Premium Service" member, how do you deal with this? Do you simply ignore the emails and the Advisor name hanging over your portfolio? If I complain to Fidelity, will they remove the advisor from my account? Is there a way to opt-out of Fidelity Premium Services?
I ignore the happy fat face in the upper right hand corner. I appreciate the 800 number to the premium service. I did have one (free) ‘portfolio review’ with him out of morbid curiosity. Friendly fellow. His advice was mostly in line with boglehead 3 fund philosophy. He pointed out my lack of international and my lack of bonds. I am t-bills and S&P 500 aka Warren Buffett. Ignored his suggestions and that was the last I’ve heard from him other then occasional emails to stay the course associated with the markets gyrations. I figure if I need help with setting up accounts or some issue with trusts, estates, etc, he would be a resource.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
cdltrance

Post by cdltrance »

good job on saving >250k but why opt of a complementary service?
BlueRidgePro

Post by BlueRidgePro »

Don't try to opt out. If you've got an account problem or question, use your adviser and premium status for better service. Ignore all other offers and pitches.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

aj76er wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 pmA few months ago, I must have crossed some magical threshold at Fidelity because in the upper right-hand corner I now have some advisor person's name pop-up on my accounts page. Furthermore, I've been starting to receive "strategic" bulk emails from this person with links to generic Fidelity articles about finances, markets, investor behavior pitfalls, etc. This latest email showed up this morning, perfectly timed with the latest bout of market volatility, and contained all sorts of "helpful" article links related to markets performance during pandemics, etc.
Looks like it's my turn. Strangely, the top right corner of my screen says:
Employer Benefits

Go to NetBenefits.com
When I click on the link, I get an error.

This is my personal account, and I don't think my employer uses Fidelity.
aj76er wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 pmTo stop receiving account service communications by email, log in to your Fidelity account and turn off the "Account activity and service emails" indicator.
I found this setting under Profile, Communications Settings. I wondered about what else would be turned off along, but I'm so annoyed that I don't care. The less I hear from the, the better!
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

You get a special number to call if you need help (which paid off for me this year since I got.to.rollnack a RMD.)

Otherwise an advisor called me once, many years ago. I politely declined, they told me to call if I ever needed anything and haven't tried to call me since.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

aj76er wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm ...I wish I could Opt-Out of the "Premium Services" and remove some advisor name from appearing over my accounts. I could probably call and request this, but for now I'll leave things be.
OP, this happened to me some 20 years ago with Fidelity. I believe it was for the same reason as you - my assets crossed some threshold. I got a call from the advisor saying he came upon my account and wanted to be my advisor. I told him I had no problem with him putting his name as the Private Client advisor on my account as long as he was willing to pretty much leave me alone. He agreed. Over the years (much more so the first few years) he’d send me occasional emails and even periodically call me. After a while I think it became clear he was wasting his time as he wasn’t able to convince me to do anything other than what I was doing before he came along. He reached out less and less over the years. Honestly I don’t think I’ve heard from him in 5 years now.

He did arrange a review of our wills and estate plan some 6 or 7 years ago. That was actually of value as he arranged a call with one of their wills and trust experts who prepared a rather comprehensive report. Actually got us to update our wills.

Having said that, when I need something or have a question I just call the Private Client group phone number. I like the service and there has never been any kind of “sell”.

My advice would be to have a similar conversation (to the one I had) with your advisor. Get them to leave you alone. Can’t hurt to have the contact in case you end up needing something in the future. You just need to position them appropriately and make sure they understand what you desire.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:19 pm
aj76er wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm ...I wish I could Opt-Out of the "Premium Services" and remove some advisor name from appearing over my accounts. I could probably call and request this, but for now I'll leave things be.
OP, this happened to me some 20 years ago with Fidelity. I believe it was for the same reason as you - my assets crossed some threshold. I got a call from the advisor saying he came upon my account and wanted to be my advisor. I told him I had no problem with him putting his name as the Private Client advisor on my account as long as he was willing to pretty much leave me alone. He agreed. Over the years (much more so the first few years) he’d send me occasional emails and even periodically call me. After a while I think it became clear he was wasting his time as he wasn’t able to convince me to do anything other than what I was doing before he came along. He reached out less and less over the years. Honestly I don’t think I’ve heard from him in 5 years now.

He did arrange a review of our wills and estate plan some 6 or 7 years ago. That was actually of value as he arranged a call with one of their wills and trust experts who prepared a rather comprehensive report. Actually got us to update our wills.

Having said that, when I need something or have a question I just call the Private Client group phone number. I like the service and there has never been any kind of “sell”.

My advice would be to have a similar conversation (to the one I had) with your advisor. Get them to leave you alone. Can’t hurt to have the contact in case you end up needing something in the future. You just need to position them appropriately and make sure they understand what you desire.
6 weeks ago, we updated DW's Roth account with an updated POA at Schwab. That action must have tripped something. Within just a couple of days, she was getting introduction E-mails from an account person at the local Schwab Office. No contact towards me yet, but the monthly statements for my Dad's Trust ( I'm Trustee ) accounts now list his name and number on them.

Unlike some, this doesn't give me much bother. I understand it's just a computer algorithm of "if this, then do this" that has changed the account status and assigned it to someone. Let's face it. We here are a rare breed. I'm sure there is no item in our account record that says "BH, leave alone".
GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 »

I’m with the original poster. These things infuriate me. Obviously different Bogleheads have a variety of reactions, but my response is always to ask or insist they leave me alone. But it’s not just a financial services company trick — this applies to software, autos, insurance, etc.

Since we all have valid reasons for our preferences, I would tell him to pound sand and stop the emails. Nicely.

GMT
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

GMT-8 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:52 pm I’m with the original poster. These things infuriate me. Obviously different Bogleheads have a variety of reactions, but my response is always to ask or insist they leave me alone. But it’s not just a financial services company trick — this applies to software, autos, insurance, etc.

Since we all have valid reasons for our preferences, I would tell him to pound sand and stop the emails. Nicely.

GMT
Have either of you checked your email settings and opted out of these emails?
Go to your personal info and opt out, then perhaps report back. I don’t get these emails (private client label). My wife gets some, but she won’t bother to update her settings either.
statefan03

Post by statefan03 »

Premium Services gives you the "Performance Tab" which others don't see. It has some useful information.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I'm not sure what "Premium Services" is, or if it relates to the "Private Client Group". When I was joined to the latter they asked to arrange for me to be assigned to someone and schedule a meeting/discussion with them. I declined, they said the option/service was available to me if I decided to have someone assigned to me personally later. I've never gotten emails or anything else from Fidelity pushing any of their services.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn »

I've been a Premium Services client for many years. Now on my 4th advisor. The second one saw that I was in indexer and pretty much left me alone, except when I had a question. Then she was very helpful. When she retired, she told me that Fidelity would assign me to a new advisor, but that if I wished, I could just have premium services but not have an assigned advisor. That would still give me access to the premium services 800 number, which can be very useful, and of course free Turbotax. I opted for a new advisor who has not bothered me or bombarded me with unwanted info.
toocold

Post by toocold »

I have private client group status at Fidelity. While I am a DIY, I have an annual call with my advisor and use it as a sounding board. Overall, I find these conversations helpful. She's not pushy and understands that I like managing my own portfolio. She was helpful in understanding some nuances of setting up a DAF fund as well as whether to maintain a 2 fund portfolio vs 4 (tilt toward small and international). I just consider it a complementary service. I certainly don't get mad when some information is send to me.

I do get annoyed with personal capital, so understand the context of this discussion.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

statefan03 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:43 am Premium Services gives you the "Performance Tab" which others don't see. It has some useful information.
I think the performance tab is rolling out to everyone, because I've got it and I don't see anything about being a premium service member.
sd1357

Post by sd1357 »

I am sure you can Opt-out by calling them. That said, I have an advisor and he is excellent. Does not push any products but is always there to answer questions. I too am a DIY investor but have used him to double check on investment matters which has been helpful. We have developed a good relationship, he understands my position and is very understanding. There has never been a charge for his services and I am glad for his support.

So, before just Opting out my suggestion would be to have a chat and see if this person can help you by providing guidance or simply eliminating the emails you get. FYI - I get very few emails from Fidelity, so I know they can be managed.

Good Luck....
glock19

Post by glock19 »

If you will "reach out" ( I too detest this term ) to your Fidelity representative and have a nice talk, I think you will find they will be glad to honor many of your requests. Communication of your concerns to Fidelity, and not on an internet forum, go a long way. If having a rep's name appear on your statement concerns you that much, move your account to another brokerage firm as there are many good ones out there.

I have found my representative to be very nice and has never in any way pushed a Fidelity product. I get invited to a couple of nice lunches each year where a Fidelity specialist presents. The strategy presented is always long term investing and asset allocation. Naturally they would prefer you invest in their managed funds, but once I explained my DIY index fund approach, I've never been treated second class.

One last thing. If you ever need help in issues the phone reps are not accustomed to, you will really appreciate a Private Client Rep. I did some changing of account registrations and added some POA's to accounts and it was a breeze with the help of my rep. Vanguard made it a big pain in the neck.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My personal premium services advisor recently changed - it is now a very nice looking and pleasant looking person at the top of my page - doesn't bother me - in this day and age I find it nice to see a picture of a person I can call if I happen to have a question. I talked to the last one once as he was calling my mobile number and simply said I was all set and asked him not to call me - he honored it - never got a second call from anyone. I don't mind the emails but if I did I would simply ask them to stop sending them (and trust they would).
Since it's been 6 months since the original post - I would be interested to hear back from OP and see how he/she handled this.
Leif

Post by Leif »

There are some benefits in the Private Client Group. I'm not sure if you mean PCG, or premium services is a different category.

I have the opposite problem. I use to have a Rep assigned. But no longer. I have plenty of assets to qualify, but it may be they have given up on me from a sales POV. Since losing my assigned rep it appears I can no longer get my free Turbotax. I guess it is a cost savings measure. Not a big deal, but I do miss the free TT.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Leif wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:19 am There are some benefits in the Private Client Group. I'm not sure if you mean PCG, or premium services is a different category.

I have the opposite problem. I use to have a Rep assigned. But no longer. I have plenty of assets to qualify, but it may be they have given up on me from a sales POV. Since losing my assigned rep it appears I can no longer get my free Turbotax. I guess it is a cost savings measure. Not a big deal, but I do miss the free TT.
I don't have an assigned rep. He disappeared from my PCG statements several years ago. I still get free TurboTax.

There is apparently still some black magic and voodoo involved in what it takes to get free TT. Many tried to run it to ground in the ginormous thread but there wasn't a consensus reached.

I have a friend who is PCG and doesn't get TT. And she used to work for Fidelity! Her rep told her that she needed 1M in non-retirement accounts to qualify. But then several people in the thread confirmed they were getting the software without that. Still a puzzle.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

The key benefit for a lot of these things is phone wait time. At most institutions, your call gets answered in order of your account tier.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I actually took the bait and met with a Fidelity Advisor. It was a pleasant experience and we met for just over an hour. Won't recount it all here, I have a lengthy post somewhere about my Advisor visit. Actually some good ideas. Haven't heard back since, I get an e-mail from Fidelity every once in a while but I haven't been bombarded.

What I would say is that you are getting the gentle upsell. The same thing you get at the drive through when they ask if you want fries or dessert with your meal. That is just good old American capitalism. Fidelity is nice and not pushy.

Shoot, my ego actually enjoys receiving a bit of attention.
A fool and his money are good for business.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

softwaregeek wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:22 pm The key benefit for a lot of these things is phone wait time. At most institutions, your call gets answered in order of your account tier.
I believe that this is correct. It may also be that the person answering the phone is more senior and/or has better customer feedback.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:58 pm I actually took the bait and met with a Fidelity Advisor. It was a pleasant experience
95% of those on the forum who have done this report similar experiences (and the other 5% may just be making stuff up for attention). 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.