How long does it take to receive money after cashing out an Ibond?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Kennedy

How long does it take to receive money after cashing out an Ibond?

Post by Kennedy »

I purchased an ibond via Treasure Direct almost a year ago, and the money was taken out of my linked checking account.

If I want to cash out the bond, is the process as simple as clicking a few buttons on tresurydirect.com and the money showing up the next day in my linked account? (I understand I must wait one year after the purchase, and I will lose three months interest if cashing out prior to five years.)
friar1610

Re: How long does it take to receive money after cashing out an Ibond?

Post by friar1610 »

Kennedy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 pm I purchased an ibond via Treasure Direct almost a year ago, and the money was taken out of my linked checking account.

If I want to cash out the bond, is the process as simple as clicking a few buttons on tresurydirect.com and the money showing up the next day in my linked account? (I understand I must wait one year after the purchase, and I will lose three months interest if cashing out prior to five years.)
I sold a few I-Bonds last year and it was basically as you described above. IIRC, it took 2 days to show up in the linked account.

Don't forget that if you make money on the I-Bond (I.e., earn interest) you will owe Federal income tax when you do your 2020 taxes next year. TD does not send you a 1099-INT; you have to retrieve it from the TD site yourself - something it could be easy to forget.
Friar1610
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

We just cashed our only purchase of I bonds that were bought in 2013 in feb 2020.
After finally able to login to our accounts (after being locked for not using), it took 5 clicks to cash out and it showed in our bank account in two days. Now i need to remember to download the tax doc next year.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

This is so much more convenient with paper bonds, which is all I own. I bring them to my credit union and sign them. I deposit them into my account. The funds are instantly available without any hold.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:30 pm This is so much more convenient with paper bonds, which is all I own. I bring them to my credit union and sign them. I deposit them into my account. The funds are instantly available without any hold.
We may have different ideas of what convenience means.
bhtomj

Post by bhtomj »

Treasury Direct will send you an email notification next year. Something like "You have a tax document".
The redemption should show in the bottom left of "Manage Direct" now under the calendar year..
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:36 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:30 pm This is so much more convenient with paper bonds, which is all I own. I bring them to my credit union and sign them. I deposit them into my account. The funds are instantly available without any hold.
We may have different ideas of what convenience means.
Probably just my own circumstances. I take a walk at lunch time every day and literally walk right by the front door of the credit union.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Kennedy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 pm I purchased an ibond via Treasure Direct almost a year ago, and the money was taken out of my linked checking account.

When I redeemed an I bond in 2019, it was in my linked account the next business day.

I can’s say the same for paper bonds because in my area, it is virtually impossible to cash a paper bond for an amount of more than $1,000.