Interest Rates Tank

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Van

Interest Rates Tank

Post by Van »

I just noticed in the newspaper that the interest rate on a 2 year Treasury is less than 1%! I can not remember it being lower, but maybe a long time ago it was.

Where do retirees such as me go to find a decent safe return on their savings? If you bought some bonds or bond funds a year or two ago, the total return has been good. But what to do now?
NotTooDeepLearning

Re: Interest Rates Tank

Post by NotTooDeepLearning »

The 10 year was below 1% for a bit. I believe that's a first, ever.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

To put it bluntly, there are no 'safe' (i.e. non-volatile) places where you can get a 'decent' return on your money right now outside of maybe a good stable value fund in your 401k plan.
The Sensible Steward
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

It could go lower still.

"May you live in interesting times."
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Van wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm I just noticed in the newspaper that the interest rate on a 2 year Treasury is less than 1%! I can not remember it being lower, but maybe a long time ago it was.

Where do retirees such as me go to find a decent safe return on their savings? If you bought some bonds or bond funds a year or two ago, the total return has been good. But what to do now?
Ally pays 2.10% on a 13-month FDIC insured CD...
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

Thanks. I'll look into Ally.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Thesaints wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:57 pm
Van wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm I just noticed in the newspaper that the interest rate on a 2 year Treasury is less than 1%! I can not remember it being lower, but maybe a long time ago it was.

Ally pays 2.10% on a 13-month FDIC insured CD...
Still? Better jump on that. They'll probably pull it very soon.
The Sensible Steward
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Interest rates are set in the market. It's a pretty efficient market. Unfortunately for you, the supply of money to be lent is abnormally high compared to the demand to borrow, so rates are low. If you want higher bond rates, your only option is to accept is more risk. Either that or to move to a different asset class.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

MarkBarb wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:06 pm Interest rates are set in the market. It's a pretty efficient market. Unfortunately for you, the supply of money to be lent is abnormally high compared to the demand to borrow, so rates are low. If you want higher bond rates, your only option is to accept is more risk. Either that or to move to a different asset class.
Or get an FDIC insured deposit. This is one of the rare occasions when the small retail investor has an advantage over Big Money.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

One option is to pay off your mortgage I you still have one.