Vti& VTSAX in the same account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mario2222

Vti& VTSAX in the same account

Post by Mario2222 »

I bought two shares of Vti for my kids for the price of $150 a share. I want to buy VTSAX for The automated investing.
Is it ok to leave my etf shares and buy the mutual fund variant in the same account? Thanks.
anon_investor

Re: Vti& VTSAX in the same account

Post by anon_investor »

Yes you can. My taxable account has both for the same reason.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Mario2222 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:21 pm I bought two shares of Vti for my kids for the price of $150 a share. I want to buy VTSAX for The automated investing.
Is it ok to leave my etf shares and buy the mutual fund variant in the same account? Thanks.
Yes. You can have both. And you can convert mutual fund shares into ETF shares (but not the other way).
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

stan1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:24 pm
Mario2222 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:21 pm I bought two shares of Vti for my kids for the price of $150 a share. I want to buy VTSAX for The automated investing.
Yes. You can have both. And you can convert mutual fund shares into ETF shares (but not the other way).
We tax-gain harvested my son's account and to get back into the fund, we sold VTSAX and bought VTI the next day. He now has both in his account.
Sometime in the future we'll convert the remaining VTSAX shares to the ETF. It works just fine. Just remember for Tax-loss harvesting they have to be considered the same security as they are the same fund.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

duplicate.