Recommendations for Short Term, Taxable Account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
BuyandHold37

Recommendations for Short Term, Taxable Account

Post by BuyandHold37 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 am

I have always been focused on long-term, 20+ year time horizons. Feel great about all my retirement account positions.

I have accumulated around 30K in cash in my savings account at my bank (paying a 10th of a % point), so have moved into my brokerage account. I expect to add $2K per month to it moving forward. Have looked at BND, BLV, VGSH, and VTIP to give you an idea of where I have been looking......I may tap into this money in 3-4 months, or maybe not in a year or two either. Barring any unforseen major expenses (A/C replacement, health situation, loss of job), I look at it more as a slush fund for bucket list trips, etc. Or if we have a very large correction I will do some buying.

Please give me recommendations on what to put it in.

MikeG62

Re: Recommendations for Short Term, Taxable Account

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 am

I have some excess cash (>$100K) in ICSH.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am

Are you married?

Lake Michigan Credit Union in Grand Rapids, MI, is offering a 3% Max Rewards Checking account, for a max of $15k per social security number. So if you are married, you can shelter that entire $30k. The requirements are that (a) you should consent to electronic communications only, (b) login every calendar month at least 4 times, (c) make 10 debit card transactions. The first one is a one-time choice. The second requirement can be easily met, you can login+logout on the same day for 4 times and that counts. The third requirement is also easily met, for example I pay my internet service provider $1, $1.05, $1.10, ... etc. 10 times all on the same day, and the balance of the bill goes on my 2% rewards card.

Topic Author
BuyandHold37

Post by BuyandHold37 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 am
I have some excess cash (>$100K) in ICSH.
I just put it all in there, thank you very much! Great yield and expense ratio