Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
mrb
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 am

Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Post by mrb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:33 pm

I am not sure if Turbo Tax is filling out my 8606 form correctly for my back door roth. I did it by hand to check and there is missing info particularly in boxes 6-12.

in 2019 I contributed and converted 5500 for 2018.
In 2019, I also contributed and converted 6000 for 2019.

Here is what TT has:

1. 6000
2. 5500
3. 11500
4.
5. 11500
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13. 11500
14. 0
15a. 0
15b. 0
15c. 0
16. 11500
17. 11500
18. 0

From doing it by hand, shouldn't box 8,9, and 11 be 11,500? If so, does anyone know what my mistake is?

Thanks

Financologist
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:16 pm

Re: Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Post by Financologist » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm

I'll await responses on this also. Every year there is confusion in TT. It always seems to assume my contributions to the trad IRA were deductible and therefore treats the distribution as taxable. Why doesn't the program ask whether the contribution was deductible or non deductible? I go through a rigmarole every year to manually adjust.

retiredjg
Posts: 39274
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Post by retiredjg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Tax software often does the calculations on a worksheet that you don't see and that often leaves lines 6 - 12 blank. You got the right numbers on line 14 and line 18 and that is all that matters.

Somewhere on your form, probably at the bottom, you may find a little notation about the worksheet.

Topic Author
mrb
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 am

Re: Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Post by mrb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Tax software often does the calculations on a worksheet that you don't see and that often leaves lines 6 - 12 blank. You got the right numbers on line 14 and line 18 and that is all that matters.

Somewhere on your form, probably at the bottom, you may find a little notation about the worksheet.
So, its ok to file as is, and don't worry about lines 6-12?

retiredjg
Posts: 39274
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Post by retiredjg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:47 pm

mrb wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 pm
retiredjg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Tax software often does the calculations on a worksheet that you don't see and that often leaves lines 6 - 12 blank. You got the right numbers on line 14 and line 18 and that is all that matters.

Somewhere on your form, probably at the bottom, you may find a little notation about the worksheet.
So, its ok to file as is, and don't worry about lines 6-12?
That is correct. Don't worry about it.

Topic Author
mrb
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 am

Re: Back Door Roth TurboTax 8606

Post by mrb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Financologist wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm
I'll await responses on this also. Every year there is confusion in TT. It always seems to assume my contributions to the trad IRA were deductible and therefore treats the distribution as taxable. Why doesn't the program ask whether the contribution was deductible or non deductible? I go through a rigmarole every year to manually adjust.
Not sure is this will help, but it helped me through the process

https://thefinancebuff.com/how-to-repor ... botax.html

Post Reply