Selling CA intermediate bond fund to buy I-Bonds?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fatgeorge

Selling CA intermediate bond fund to buy I-Bonds?

Post by fatgeorge »

Reading the discussion about I-Bonds purchase in another thread, I wonder if making them part of portfolio makes sense? Such as selling 10K of CA municipal mutual fund and buying 10k I-Bonds? It is taxable account, and their role would be investment only (use for education is limited by MAGI).

I've read the https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/I_savings_bonds but its unclear whether purchasing I-Bonds into taxable account is superior versus CA intermediate fund bonds, or this makes no sense at all?
sometimesinvestor

Re: Selling CA intermediate bond fund to buy I-Bonds?

Post by sometimesinvestor »

Tax considerations such as whether you have a capital loss or gain on the sale of your muni fund matter. If you have a gain its hard to imagine that the muni fund is your best source of funds. Don't you have a savings account? Also what is your fed tax bracket?. For both investments your california tax bracket is probably not relevant.
It might also be helpful to know the interest rate on both investments though I would guess the i bond rate is higher