Why is my Vanguard account balances always delayed?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Bluesky613

Why is my Vanguard account balances always delayed?

Post by Bluesky613 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Anyone else go crazy using Vanguard and having to wait until sometime the following early morning for Vanguard to fully update account balances from the prior day’s trading? I have accounts with Fidelity and Schwab as well and the account balances are updated in real-time (or at 6pm for the mutual funds.)

Why when I check my Vanguard accounts at 10pm do I need to see “Balances as of 4:05pm?” Makes me nuts.

tomd37

Re: Why is my Vanguard account balances always delayed?

Post by tomd37 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 pm

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but when I look at my Vanguard account, which only contains VG mutual funds, they are updated with the day's new balances at around 6pm CST.
Tom D.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Bluesky613 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:35 pm
Anyone else go crazy using Vanguard and having to wait until sometime the following early morning for Vanguard to fully update account balances from the prior day’s trading? I have accounts with Fidelity and Schwab as well and the account balances are updated in real-time (or at 6pm for the mutual funds.)

Why when I check my Vanguard accounts at 10pm do I need to see “Balances as of 4:05pm?” Makes me nuts.
Yup, it's a problem.
And sometimes (frequently) the final tally isn't available until after the *close* the next day, not just the morning.

Our 403b plan now has the Vanguard Brokerage Window handled by TDAmeritrade (why? who know?). The core holdings are shown on the Vanguard website, but only the *total* of the Brokerage Window is shown at Vanguard. TDAmeritrade updates the totals early in the evening, but Vanguard apparently doesn't import that new total until after the close the next business day.
Knowing this, we can now add/subtract that amount and figure what we've got at "Vanguard" (including that outsourced Brokerage Window).

Note: This arrangement with TDAmeritrade was just initiated late in 2018. And in about a month, everything is getting changed, yet again, to TIAA, with new core holdings to choose from, apparently again including Vanguard funds. :annoyed
I don't know if this is primarily due to our Plan Admin or Vanguard or ??
This is about the 4th change in recent years.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 pm
I am not sure exactly what you mean, but when I look at my Vanguard account, which only contains VG mutual funds, they are updated with the day's new balances at around 6pm CST.
+1

W & W funds, about 5:15 pm CST
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Doesn't bother me at all. But then I don't check until the next day anyway. Or maybe the day after that.

What difference does it make anyway? Just relax and enjoy life.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 pm

It likely depends on what you own. If you own something other than mutual funds, does the asset depend on another asset first being reported? For example, if you own a fund-of-funds, ALL the base funds first have to do their calculations. It is not until all of them are completed that the fund-of-funds itself can be calculated.

If you have anything that depends on currency conversion, there may be a delay there too.

If you have a 401K at Vanguard, I think that is maintained by a sub-contractor (because of the reporting requirements). Managing 401K's are more complicated than you might realize.

And if any holding within any of these is reporting a distribution, that could delay things, unless it was previously reported a specific dividend would be paid (rather than an estimated dividend being reported).

Topic Author
Bluesky613

Post by Bluesky613 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:39 pm

I’m referring to mutual funds and ETF’s only. The balances are not reflected until the next day which I can’t understand.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Bluesky613 wrote:

Vanguard is just not that great as a brokerage. You can hold Vanguard ETFs at any brokerage have better IT and generally better customer service, and probably get a bonus, too.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Jerry55 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 pm
tomd37 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 pm
+1

W & W funds, about 5:15 pm CST
Vanguard and Schwab websites have the day's W & W just after 6pm Eastern time like clockwork.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pm
Just relax and enjoy life.
Great advice. If I am buying or selling it takes until the next morning to update everything. I never considered this a big deal.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:08 pm

I update a spreadsheet weekly with my balances. 2 Fridays before is always off by a ~$1-2 week to week. It doesn't bother me.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

dcop

Post by dcop » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:40 pm

Depends on the accounts. My IRAs always update at 16:30 mountain (was 16:00 up until a few months ago). When I had an employer plan it updated at 23:00 mountain.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 pm

What action would I take if I knew my account balances at 7pm after the market closed, that could not wait until 6am the next morning? Unless I wanted to trade stocks in Asia while the U.S. markets were closed and I needed the info to decide what to trade, I can’t think of any reason why 6am is not a fine and acceptable time to learn what my account balances are based on the previous day’s trading.

So I have no problem with Vanguard reporting the next morning.
De gustibus non est disputandum

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am

dcop wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:40 pm
When I had an employer plan it updated at 23:00 mountain.
For many years, more than half our assets was in my wife's former employer plan. They updated once a year at the end of December. At least that was the valuation date when they sent us the report sometime in February.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:48 am

jebmke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am
dcop wrote:
For many years, more than half our assets was in my wife's former employer plan. They updated once a year at the end of December. At least that was the valuation date when they sent us the report sometime in February.
Could you imagine that today?
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:49 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 pm
What action would I take if I knew my account balances at 7pm after the market closed, that could not wait until 6am the next morning? Unless I wanted to trade stocks in Asia while the U.S. markets were closed and I needed the info to decide what to trade, I can’t think of any reason why 6am is not a fine and acceptable time to learn what my account balances are based on the previous day’s trading.

So I have no problem with Vanguard reporting the next morning.
That is a good point. I would add it is not like your trading on news with individual stocks.

lexor

Post by lexor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 am

Bluesky613 wrote:

Their technology probably just needs that long to update the balances where as Fidelity and Schwab probably have technology that can update it much faster

I'd like them to be updated faster, yes. It throws off my balances
“The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.” -Mr. John C. Bogle

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:40 am

Mine generally update at 6:00 PM EST for mutual funds. In near real-time for stocks and ETFs. Exception is for outside linked accounts.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:32 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:40 am
Mine generally update at 6:00 PM EST for mutual funds. In near real-time for stocks and ETFs. Exception is for outside linked accounts.
Yep, that's a good summary. 6pm for my Vanguard account. 7pm for my linked Fidelity and Schwab accounts.

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 am

jebmke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am
dcop wrote:
In the 80's at the megacorp I worked at the 401k was updated quarterly - if you wanted to know if the market was up or down, someone on 10th floor of the corporate building had a big arrow that they put in the window to show how the market (and the company stock) was trending. Times have changed ....

dacalo

Post by dacalo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:27 pm

I think OP is talking about balances reflecting new trades, not update to valuation for existing investments.

I think this comes with the territory if investing with Vanguard and the company not having the greatest IT infrastructure. They probably do a "batch" type of update later in the day, versus more up-to-date updates done that Schwab and Fidelity with more modern IT set up. Doesn't bother me much, but I can see how it can be a nuisance.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:36 pm

I think OP is talking about balances reflecting new trades, not update to valuation for existing investments.
Even if this is indeed the OP's issue with Vanguard's reporting, I can't see what I would do with that information at 7pm the day of the trade that would not wait until 6am the next morning.
De gustibus non est disputandum