Asset Allocation 10 Years Out to Retirement at 55

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Kintora

Asset Allocation 10 Years Out to Retirement at 55

Post by Kintora »

Hoping some of you can please give me feedback to make sure my plan is sound or if it needs tweaking.

I am currently 45 and hope to retire early somewhere around 55.
I currently have about $500k in my portfolio and hope to have around $1 million or more when I retire.
My SWR could be 3% or so, as $30,000/year should be OK for me retiring to a low cost of living country or area.
I could "semi-retire" at that time and still work a PT or FT low stress job if I need or want to for a while for extra income.
Not included in my portfolio numbers above is my HSA which I started this year and hope to max each year for 10 years for health costs buffer.

I just moved my portfolio over from Edward Jones to Vanguard and I am about to reallocate stocks/bonds.
My tentative plan is to go 70/30 stocks/bonds now at age 45 and increase bonds by 1% each year until at 55 I would be 60/40.
I could then stay at 60/40 until I start drawing SS which could be at anywhere from age 62 to 70 depending on if I need the income or not. Then switch to 50/50 for remainder of my life or slightly increase bonds as I age.

As long as I can maintain my current level of income for the next 10 years (around $60k/year) I should be able to max yearly contributions to 401k, Roth IRA and HSA for the next 10 years leading to retirement or semi-retirement.

Thoughts? Too conservative? Too aggressive? About right? Do you think this is a sound AA plan or any problems that anyone can see with this plan? I think I am fairly risk tolerant and can stick to my plan in downturns. I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback.
retired@50

Re: Asset Allocation 10 Years Out to Retirement at 55

Post by retired@50 »

The plan you've outlined in your post seems reasonable. If you can stick to a 3% withdrawal rate, you'll be in fine shape.

Can we presume you're using the Three-Fund Portfolio? If not, you may be putting your $1 million goal in jeopardy.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

It seems well thought out to me and the asset allocations seem reasonable. My only concern is that, if you live to 95, 40 years retirement is a long time and 30 k per year is not a lot of money. Your backup plan for a low stress job helps. The big bugaboo, however, is healthcare expenses, especially until you reach Medicare age. Otherwise, I like it.
Topic Author
Kintora

Post by Kintora »

retired@50 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 am The plan you've outlined in your post seems reasonable. If you can stick to a 3% withdrawal rate, you'll be in fine shape.

Can we presume you're using the Three-Fund Portfolio? If not, you may be putting your $1 million goal in jeopardy.

Regards,
Thank you for your reply. I am using three funds. Total US Stock Market and Total International Stock Market with an 80/20 split there. For bonds, Total US Bond Market. All Vanguard funds.
Topic Author
Kintora

Post by Kintora »

Chris K Jones wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 am It seems well thought out to me and the asset allocations seem reasonable. My only concern is that, if you live to 95, 40 years retirement is a long time and 30 k per year is not a lot of money. Your backup plan for a low stress job helps. The big bugaboo, however, is healthcare expenses, especially until you reach Medicare age. Otherwise, I like it.
Yes, health care as I age is always a concern. Hoping the HSA investments will help with that. I should be able to keep health insurance costs low if I do move to SE Asia, for example, as you can get good coverage there for much less than in the US from my preliminary research. Thanks for your feedback.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

There are a lot of other factors still to look at. Say you want to retire in 10 years - IMHO put in as much money into your 401-k . If you have any index funds slim down your holdings to 2 or 3 high growth funds . Buy John Bogle 3 fund portfolio book.

Also
SS links below
https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/nra.html

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/

I myself am married and file on my w4 married and 0 . I up my 401-k a point or 2 as your putting more into your 401-k through the less rather than getting a little less tax re-fund at the end of the year.

Then again there are a lot more experienced Bogleheads who can give you better ideas.
Wish I had found this site years ago.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.