Privacy in brokerage account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
langlands

Privacy in brokerage account

Post by langlands »

How much information can a customer rep at a brokerage see about my investment account? The idea of a random person at Fidelity/TDAmeritrade being able to access all my account balances or trades that I've placed is a little unsettling.
ohai

Re: Privacy in brokerage account

Post by ohai »

Although they have rules about information sharing, I'm sure there's some covered employee at those places who can see all your information if they wanted to.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Great question - something I've wondered myself as I got a call one day "I have some ideas about your investments". Simply told them I was all set and not to call again but they are apparently watching me.
I am also concerned as I have a relative working at one of the brokerages I have money with now - wondering if they can peek in on my account....
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I can tell you that every view of an account is logged. Reps are assigned accounts, and are presented with views of those accounts that they are authorized to see. If Bob, your Uncle, looked up your account, it would be logged. Then it's up to his company's compliance officer to slap his wrist.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
langlands

Post by langlands »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:58 am I can tell you that every view of an account is logged. Reps are assigned accounts, and are presented with views of those accounts that they are authorized to see. If Bob, your Uncle, looked up your account, it would be logged. Then it's up to his company's compliance officer to slap his wrist.
Interesting. So a random subset are allowed to look at my accounts and this activity is logged. I guess that's to be expected for them to know who to target for their marketing. Do you know if there are any federal laws in place limiting the access, or is it just up to each company to decide how they want to regulate this?