Pick a stock

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Djtjak

Pick a stock

Post by Djtjak »

I know, I know: index funds and the vast majority of my assets are in index funds....but
I have been thinking about this for years and this year I'm going to take my IRA distribution and create my own small fund of 10 or 15 stocks. Note that this is really a small % of my assets and even if I completely mess it up , it won't hurt me and I know if I'm wildly successful it won't help me. I just think it'll be fun.
So what stock would you recommend? Only stocks, no ETFs or Funds please
Thanks
Dennis
livesoft

Re: Pick a stock

Post by livesoft »

Berkshire Hathaway.

Buy-and-hold is not fun, so if fun is your game, then don't buy-and-hold.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Chicken. Goes with lots of recipes. Beef stock is not nearly as versatile.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I gave this up years ago. After having many huge gains and many huge losses I knew there had to be another way. Moving to Vanguard and selecting a few index funds has been the best financial decision we have ever made.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The OP is just starting a new hobby. The goal is to create some small pleasures and have fun. This new hobby is probably no more costly than people who pay for other hobbies such as traveling, drinking what they think is good wine, eating out in fine restaurants, coin collecting, gardening, backpacking, cycling, ... whatever.

Ooops: Left one out: Traveling to Las Vegas to gamble, drink good wine, eati n fine restaurants, ....
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Jack Bogle has said in "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" that a "funny money" account is fine. He recommended no more than 5% of a portfolio and then compare in the future against your index fund portfolio.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

VZ, good dividend and 5G coming I am sure they will charge more for it,
BASFY, good company also good dividend
BRK-B, no explanations needed
APPL - next phone with 5G should be a big hit
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Those of us of a certain age might remember when the Wall Street Journal periodically compared "experts" stock picks with those chosen at random by throwing a dart at the symbols of the quotes hung up. In the short term, it was a wash.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

If you're going to pick a stock, make sure it's a sin stock.
Altria combines cigarettes, alcohol and cannabis.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Microsoft
22twain

Post by 22twain »

We have an ongoing thread about this:

Favorite stock(s) and why

OK, there have been no responses since Sunday, so maybe it's dead, but you can help revive it. :wink:
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Get an account at one of the places that lets you have a pretend account of paper money. Then trade in that account.
Thinkorswim (TDAmertrade) lets you do this.
So does Tradestation, and if you put $10k into an account, there are no monthly fees. Plus they have their own programming language with which you can backtest trading systems.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Another option would be to try and setup a side portfolio of ETFs and see if you can beat the market over the next decade (2020's, nice and round too).

Things like a value tilt, sector/country bets, etc... could be fun.
ohai

Post by ohai »

JPM - while other banks (example BAC) have been boosting earnings through cost cutting, JPM has been investing in research that will propel their next growth.

GOOGL/GOOG - big boys are in charge now. Imagine how the company earnings will be without Larry Page investing in negative value so called "moon shots" (90% of their income is still from ads, despite pet projects).

BA - 737 Max is a dead duck, but they have no real competitor other than Airbus and will regain market share in one way or another. Furthermore, the US government can't stop giving them lucrative defense contracts.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

livesoft wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:38 amThe OP is just starting a new hobby. The goal is to create some small pleasures and have fun. This new hobby is probably no more costly than people who pay for other hobbies such as...
traveling: check :beer
drinking what they think is good wine: check :beer
eating out in fine restaurants: check :beer
coin collecting: boring, no thanks
gardening: check :beer
backpacking: I already carry a computer bag with books in it to and from work each day (does that count?)
cycling: double check :beer
whatever: check on the following -----> singing, golf, tennis, reading, dogs :beer
Traveling to Las Vegas: boring, no thanks

To the OP: pick a bunch of stocks in a pie at M1 and follow them all in a passive manner.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Djtjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 am I know, I know: index funds and the vast majority of my assets are in index funds....but
:oops:
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Djtjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 am So what stock would you recommend? Only stocks, no ETFs or Funds please
Walgreens. Not because I think they will do particularly well - just because I think it would fun having you find out.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Ticker (T)
You remember the phone company don't you...??? AT&T
Dividend yield is over 5%

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

A friend told me he had bought MSCI.
How's that for a random pick?
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I have about 50 companies that I follow and currently own about 35. I enjoy it, and I "beat the market" for many years.

That being said, if you have to ask for recommendations for stocks to buy, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

bhsince87 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm I have about 50 companies that I follow and currently own about 35. I enjoy it, and I "beat the market" for many years.
And apparently, you aren't sharing.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Sears - this once $130 stock can be had for 20 cents so it must be a bargain - go all in!
If you want to diversify add in a bit of GE - while you missed the bottom at $11 per share - still a bargain.

Or if you want to go growth instead of Value - FAANG is still a popular strategy.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1789 »

Just dont buy netflix
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:20 pm
bhsince87 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm I have about 50 companies that I follow and currently own about 35. I enjoy it, and I "beat the market" for many years.
Nope. They could all go to crap tomorrow and I don't want to be responsible to anyone but myself.

And there is also the fact that I wouldn't buy many of them today. I've owned some for over 20 years, and am waiting to get in the zero cap gains rate to start selling them. That's probably next year.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

bhsince87 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:26 pm
Nope. They could all go to crap tomorrow and I don't want to be responsible to anyone but myself.

And there is also the fact that I wouldn't buy many of them today. I've owned some for over 20 years, and am waiting to get in the zero cap gains rate to start selling them. That's probably next year.
Or - since you are waiting for a tax advantage - maybe you will get lucky and they will come crashing down and you will have a loss to claim on your taxes (sorry I couldn't resist :) ).
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Or - since you are waiting for a tax advantage - maybe you will get lucky and they will come crashing down and you will have a loss to claim on your taxes (sorry I couldn't resist :) ).
It's possible!

Here's another potential problem that people don't often think of.

One of the companies I own is being bought out. Stock went up 30% in one day. Yay! If the deal goes through this year, I get the tax hit. If it goes through next year, it will save me some bucks.

Another issue is if we would be on ACA next year, that sale would put us above the subsidy cliff. And the subsidy is more than the profit from the stock! So it would actually be a net loss.

First world problems for sure. But individual stocks can throw a monkey wrench into financial planning. I haven't bought any in a few years, and am looking forward to getting rid of most of them over time and move that money into Total Stock.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

ROKU.

It's going to go big, I promise.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Djtjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 amNote that this is really a small % of my assets and even if I completely mess it up , it won't hurt me and I know if I'm wildly successful it won't help me. I just think it'll be fun.
I find this sentence above the most interesting.

If you mess up and it won't hurt and you succeed and it won't help, then why do it at all?

Can you talk more about what will be fun about it?
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Djtjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 am I know, I know: index funds and the vast majority of my assets are in index funds....but
I have been thinking about this for years and this year I'm going to take my IRA distribution and create my own small fund of 10 or 15 stocks. Note that this is really a small % of my assets and even if I completely mess it up , it won't hurt me and I know if I'm wildly successful it won't help me. I just think it'll be fun.
Thanks
Dennis

SPCE
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:46 pm
Djtjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 amNote that this is really a small % of my assets and even if I completely mess it up , it won't hurt me and I know if I'm wildly successful it won't help me. I just think it'll be fun.
I find this sentence above the most interesting.

If you mess up and it won't hurt and you succeed and it won't help, then why do it at all?

Can you talk more about what will be fun about it?

They said fun.... if you take $$ to Vegas and you lose it all or triple your money will it change your life??? For folks on there’s forums it won’t change a thing... it’s for fun? Gambling? Betting?
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:23 pm Sears - this once $130 stock can be had for 20 cents so it must be a bargain - go all in!
If you want to diversify add in a bit of GE - while you missed the bottom at $11 per share - still a bargain.

Or if you want to go growth instead of Value - FAANG is still a popular strategy.
GE went to $5 you should have gotten that bargain!!!
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

SIRI SiriusXM
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 pm
Djtjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 am So what stock would you recommend? Only stocks, no ETFs or Funds please
Walgreens. Not because I think they will do particularly well - just because I think it would fun having you find out.
Don’t forget RAD !!!!
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

I would rather increase my food, alcohol, and travel budget than speculate on stocks.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

WCLD or SKYY, a bet on the cloud.(oops these are ETFs)
NVDA, a bet on AI and gaming
PCG, if they don’t go bankrupt ...
Just for play money of course.
I only own NVDA.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

I've seen a few recent threads on buying stocks here on bogleheads forum. I myself am troubled by those that have the buy and hold through thick and thin.

I trade stocks and use Daryl Guppy's trending trading.
To me its the only way to trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjfW2Ba ... e=emb_logo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NJvQn0 ... sp=sharing
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Mactheriverrat wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:58 am I've seen a few recent threads on buying stocks here on bogleheads forum. I myself am troubled by those that have the buy and hold through thick and thin.

Good point - if you are going to gamble on individual stocks you might as well take things a step further and go all in on the gamble and pick one of the many speculative trading strategies available out on Youtube (or better yet - sign up for a seminar with a someone who has claimed to make billions on a scheme!). :wink:
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Mactheriverrat wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:58 am I've seen a few recent threads on buying stocks here on bogleheads forum. I myself am troubled by those that have the buy and hold through thick and thin.

Investing vs. speculation...

Whether one is talking about index funds, or a diverse DIY fund made up of many individual stocks - B&H over the long term (passively investing) is a strategy well worth following for decades. One's rate of savings via automatic weekly/monthly/annual contributions, reinvesting dividends, etc... is the single most important part of the equation.

Standing there and "doing nothing" over the course of decades helps avoid finding yourself in the column with the orange color. Many have learned over the decades the price of admission to the B&H classroom. Others are still paying tuition and trying to learn the lessons.

Best of luck with your trading strategies. :beer

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

By the nature of Bogle heads mantra, picking individual stocks is frowned upon, namely because few can or have consistently beat the market (well almost no one). So we buy the whole market. If you read up on it, it's logical and makes complete sense. And it's pretty boring.

So while I have 90% of my portfolio in broad index funds, I do "play" with 10% of my money, which is now, after 30 years of investment, not exactly chicken feed, being 6 digits.

I have 5% of my portfolio in Alibaba (BABA), which is the largest Chinese tech stock out there. Until today, it was the largest IPO ever. I'm a huge believer that this century, the Super Power status will switch from the US to China. The Sleeping Giant is awakening. I won't rattle the cage and give chad to the debate sharks, so will leave it at that. Anywho, I've owned it for about 2 years and it's made about 8%, whoopie doo. But there's this little thing called a Trade War that may be keeping it from popping.

I have about 2% of my portfolio in Apple. Which, I've made over 50% in two years. I have also have 1/2 of 1% in Amazon. After those three, it quickly dwindles to 1/10 of 1% in maybe 30 other stocks.

The one thing that the purest may not completely understand and/or appreciate is that not only is it fun (but not necessarily profitable) to own individual stocks, but it really does open your eyes to how the world works. For example, my significant other and I were recently down in Chile on a vacation. We ended up hiking some of the old Inca trails and we ran into a tour guide that was discussing Anglo American's take over of the local copper mine. As I once owned stock in that company, I was able to have a very interesting and insightful discussion. Likewise, I was able to discuss block chain management and AI technology that is taking place in that field. Had I not previously owned that stock, I would have simply nodded and passed by.

Stocks are the words of the economy, and the world economy drives a lot of different aspects of our lives. So I like to think I'm more worldly than Joe Boglehead that simply owns the total market and calls it a day. But that's me.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

CISCO
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

backofbeyond wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:06 pm By the nature of Bogle heads mantra, picking individual stocks is frowned upon, namely because few can or have consistently beat the market (well almost no one). So we buy the whole market. If you read up on it, it's logical and makes complete sense. And it's pretty boring.

So while I have 90% of my portfolio in broad index funds, I do "play" with 10% of my money, which is now, after 30 years of investment, not exactly chicken feed, being 6 digits.

I have 5% of my portfolio in Alibaba (BABA), which is the largest Chinese tech stock out there. Until today, it was the largest IPO ever. I'm a huge believer that this century, the Super Power status will switch from the US to China. The Sleeping Giant is awakening. I won't rattle the cage and give chad to the debate sharks, so will leave it at that. Anywho, I've owned it for about 2 years and it's made about 8%, whoopie doo. But there's this little thing called a Trade War that may be keeping it from popping.

I have about 2% of my portfolio in Apple. Which, I've made over 50% in two years. I have also have 1/2 of 1% in Amazon. After those three, it quickly dwindles to 1/10 of 1% in maybe 30 other stocks.

The one thing that the purest may not completely understand and/or appreciate is that not only is it fun (but not necessarily profitable) to own individual stocks, but it really does open your eyes to how the world works. For example, my significant other and I were recently down in Chile on a vacation. We ended up hiking some of the old Inca trails and we ran into a tour guide that was discussing Anglo American's take over of the local copper mine. As I once owned stock in that company, I was able to have a very interesting and insightful discussion. Likewise, I was able to discuss block chain management and AI technology that is taking place in that field. Had I not previously owned that stock, I would have simply nodded and passed by.

Stocks are the words of the economy, and the world economy drives a lot of different aspects of our lives. So I like to think I'm more worldly than Joe Boglehead that simply owns the total market and calls it a day. But that's me.
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund also holds Alibaba and is far more diversified geographically and among sectors. Expense ratio and turnover rate is low too.
Just sayin' :happy
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

AMRN

I have greatly enjoyed owning ARWR this year. :D
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

For purely sentimental reasons I like FSCR.
PJW

Post by 1789 »

Thanks
Dennis
It seems these BHs were not helpful to you :P

Did you decide your 10-15 stocks?
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
rossington

Post by rossington »

CyclingDuo wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:55 am
Investing vs. speculation...

Whether one is talking about index funds, or a diverse DIY fund made up of many individual stocks - B&H over the long term (passively investing) is a strategy well worth following for decades. One's rate of savings via automatic weekly/monthly/annual contributions, reinvesting dividends, etc... is the single most important part of the equation.

Standing there and "doing nothing" over the course of decades helps avoid finding yourself in the column with the orange color. Many have learned over the decades the price of admission to the B&H classroom. Others are still paying tuition and trying to learn the lessons.

Best of luck with your trading strategies. :beer

CyclingDuo
Agreed. Just one example...JNJ...since the early 90's. Investing IS B&H.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:47 am

Good point - if you are going to gamble on individual stocks you might as well take things a step further and go all in on the gamble and pick one of the many speculative trading strategies available out on Youtube (or better yet - sign up for a seminar with a someone who has claimed to make billions on a scheme!). :wink:
Using Guppy MMA's has made me $ time and time again. That's after falling for a bunch of scam's and blowing up my account twice.
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Mactheriverrat wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:04 am

Using Guppy MMA's has made me $ time and time again. That's after falling for a bunch of scam's and blowing up my account twice.
How much money have you made following this method and what is your annual rate of return compared to (say) the S&P500?
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

bhsince87 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:26 pm
Right. Got it.

If you don’t want to share your picks can you set least tell us your your annual rate of return compared to the S&P 500?
Mactheriverrat

Post by Mactheriverrat »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:27 am
Mactheriverrat wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:04 am

How much money have you made following this method and what is your annual rate of return compared to (say) the S&P500?
I don't keep up with rate of return vs anything. I see good setups using Guppy MMA's and play them. There's always a Bull market somewhere.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 am Chicken. Goes with lots of recipes. Beef stock is not nearly as versatile.
Very true, actually...