Track Fidelity - Vanguard Funds in Google Finance

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SmyleBogle

Track Fidelity - Vanguard Funds in Google Finance

Post by SmyleBogle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:04 pm

I have my Vanguard mutual funds in my Fidelity 401 Account. I am having trouble finding these funds in Google Finance for tracking purposes.

I have retirements accounts in Fidelity, Vanguard and want to simplify and track all funds in Google Finance / Google Sheet.

Name of the fund: Vanguard Russell 1000 Growth Index Trust -- Current Price -- 196.22
https://nb.fidelity.com/public/workplac ... w-all/OAMO

The closest match I could find was -- Vanguard Russell 1000 Growth Index Fund Institutional Shares (VRGWX) -- Current Price -- 334.33
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vrgwx

I can search for VRGWX in Google Finance, but not OAMO

Why can't I track these Fidelity Vanguard funds in Google Finance?

Same for the following funds:

Name of the fund: Vanguard Russell 1000 Value Index Trust - Current Price - 161.44
https://nb.fidelity.com/public/workplac ... w-all/OAMP

The closest match I could find was -- Vanguard Russell 1000 Value Index Fund Institutional Shares -- Current Price - 228
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VRVIX

MotoTrojan

Re: Track Fidelity - Vanguard Funds in Google Finance

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm

401k’s often have trusts that aren’t traded outside 401k’s and cannot be found in google finance. If you want live updates you can convert the share quality to one of these similar funds. Assuming you update somewhat often there won’t be much tracking error; mostly just expense ratio and potentially dividends (some of these funds accumulate rather than paying dividends).

Post by 1789 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:59 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm
401k’s often have trusts that aren’t traded outside 401k’s and cannot be found in google finance. If you want live updates you can convert the share quality to one of these similar funds. Assuming you update somewhat often there won’t be much tracking error; mostly just expense ratio and potentially dividends (some of these funds accumulate rather than paying dividends).
Agreed. Having trusts funds is very frustrating and it is impossible to add those funds to see complete portfolio. One question just came up to my mind. Are those trust funds transferrable “in kind” to an IRA once employment ends?
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 pm

1789 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:59 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm
Agreed. Having trusts funds is very frustrating and it is impossible to add those funds to see complete portfolio. One question just came up to my mind. Are those trust funds transferrable “in kind” to an IRA once employment ends?
Interesting question. I doubt it.

Assuming one has sufficient funds and some bonds, there are other work arounds to limit time out of the market when rolling over. Just move the account to cash, and move bonds elsewhere to mirror the amount of equity bring transferred. Once rolled over you can readjust as needed. Much better imho to be out of the bond market for 2-4 weeks than out of the equity market.