Retiring soon and need help

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Newlearner19

Retiring soon and need help

Post by Newlearner19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:27 am

First post for advice. You’ve heard it before. Wish I found you sooner. :oops: At least most IRAs went to low ER VG mutual funds somehow. :happy

Unforeseen events mean 12/31/19 retirement date & I’m ready. :D

Monte Carlos by potential money managers say we leave money behind if we die from 95 to 100. You could pick that apart but I can sleep at night after seeing so many.

Despite fees DW & I thought we needed money mgr for first time when retirement came up faster than expected. While talking to potential fee takers found this forum & lurked, read wikis & Bogle’s book. Now sold on simple portfolio but lack confidence about hard decisions including AA. :confused :confused

CPA can’t give investment advice & money managers can’t give tax advice. Pay someone to pick investments & still have big decisions like how much & when to do Roth conversions.

Could DIY could be simplified for someone who doesn’t want investing as a retirement hobby?

Hope these are easy questions for experts. Need KISS approach.

MFJ
No state income tax
No debt
House paid for

Him
Age 61
No pension
Delaying SS to FRA of 66 8 mo

Her
Age 60
Current SSDI benefits convert to same amount of SS retirement in future.
Taxable disability income ends @ age 65.

Total IRAs $1.6M

His tIRA $174k
(After tax contributions of 30k) :oops:

His Roth $75k

Her tIRA $1.2M
(After tax contributions of 50k) :oops:

Her Roth $76k

His inherited IRA $75k
First RMD due 2020

All IRAs now in low ER mutual funds or money market funds. Money market was only choice for recent rollovers.

Her 401k $1.5M
70/30 in lowest ER index mutual funds offered. No Roth feature & can’t roll into it.

Cash $300k
Inc. emergency. Most in online savings @ 1.8%

Total 401k, all IRAs & cash $3.4M
Dottie57 hope that’s what you need

Annual expenses about $130k. First few years need to replace about $85k year.

No health insurance advice needed.

Whole portfolio needs changing & rebalancing so pointless listing current funds.

Can you look at this as clean slate?

AA thoughts
Leave 401k & cash alone & focus on IRAs first. With 401k @ 70/30 want to be more conservative with IRAs.

For tIRAs
VG Total Stock Mkt Index Fund
(VTSAX)
40%

VG Total Bond Mkt Index
(VBTLX)
60%

OR
Decrease VTSAX & put some of 40% in VG Total International Stock Fund (VTIAX) ??

Use same funds for Roths but consider 60/40 & maybe increase international as part of 60%?

No ETFs @ first if DIYing.

Distribution ideas
Use all of inherited IRA for 2020 expenses & save cash for Roth conversions. That would get rid of inherited tIRA RMD’s & simplify one thing.

2019 income with no conversions about $170k. Seems best to jump from 22% bracket to 24% for Roth conversions. Should’ve started sooner. :oops:

Use some cash for taxes to convert his entire tIRA to Roth in 2019 & 2020, if time to get 2019 part done by 12/31/19.

After his tIRA completely converted, start converting hers. Don’t see how to get rid of pro rata issue completely.

Would need to start distributions from her tIRA in 2021 while doing partial Roth conversion. OK to take distributions and do partial Roth conversion from same tIRA as long as form 8606 is filed correctly?

How much total cash would you spend on Roth conversions? $175 was idea but welcome thoughts. Based on what you’d spend how long would you keep converting?

With tax rates set to expire at end of 2025 would you go above 24% bracket to convert more sooner?

IIRMA
There’s IIRMA issue in 2021 when he‘s 63. Would experts keep converting & forget IIRMA at first? SS plus RMDs @ 70.5 will cause IIRMA issues too. Face it sooner?

Priorities

1. Start his tIRA Roth conversion ASAP to get part of it done in 2019 if possible without going above 24% bracket.

2. Shift & rebalance IRA portfolio after your input on AA.

Seems like these are most important first steps then I can post more questions later. Thanks for great help.

Sincerely
Last edited by Newlearner19 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Re: Retiring soon and need help

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:59 am

It’s too early in a.m. for meto try to add up your accounts. Would you add up the accounts and give a grand total in your post. I would be most grateful.

Find the pencil icon on the upper right of you post and click. Now you are in edit mode.

4% of 1m = 40k
2m = 80k
3m = 120k.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 am

Despite fees DW & I thought we needed money mgr for first time when retirement came up faster than expected. While talking to potential fee takers found this forum & lurked, read wikis & Bogle’s book. Now sold on simple portfolio but lack confidence about hard decisions including AA. :confused :confused

CPA can’t give investment advice & money managers can’t give tax advice. Pay someone to pick investments & still have big decisions like how much & when to do Roth conversions.

Could DIY could be simplified for someone who doesn’t want investing as a retirement hobby?

Hope these are easy questions for experts. Need KISS approach.

They are definitely questions that experts can help answer, both here and perhaps via Vanguard support. I'm in the early retirement stage now and will use PAS to get many similar questions and issues sorted out as we begin this new financial phase of our lives. I'm going to use the advisory service to get everything set up and for a period of time to see how things go and how I feel about staying 'under advisement'. I may keep PAS or I may go full Boglehead at some point.

Vanguard fees are far less than you would pay a money manager and they can advise you on comprehensive management, tax strategies, legacy investing and overall strategy. It costs nothing to call and talk to someone to get a feel for how it works.

Best wishes on your retirement. Although it might be coming suddenly I hope you will find it leads to a very happy life with less stress and more joy.

Topic Author
Newlearner19

Post by Newlearner19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:48 am

pennywise
Vanguard fees are far less than you would pay a money manager and they can advise you on comprehensive management, tax strategies, legacy investing and overall strategy. It costs nothing to call and talk to someone to get a feel for how it works.

Thank you! Been there done that on phone call to VG PAS. Should have added we talked to several including VG @ .30 & those with much higher fees. Yes, VG by far cheapest. We heard they wouldn’t give strategy for Roth conversions. Was told VG would make Roth conversions happen if we give exact amounts but that they wouldn’t give yearly strategy. They would do AA (more complex than post but simpler than some) rebalance & set up distributions. But no strategy on Roth conversions, etc. Didnt have impression they would do as much as you mention but that’s great if they will. Thanks for kind words.

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 am

Our cpa was the same, cannot give investment advice and no recommendations for anyone local to use for that. We searched and I found a group that does it all. They have investment arm, cpa, and others in office. We just did a one time overview of our financial picture for a set price and had several meetings. Have a online discussion tonight to talk about taxes and year end planning. We can opt to do a yearly review but will probably just switch to them for taxes and if we feel we need anything else, opt to do a one time tune up. I do have a small business that makes maybe 10,000 a year and old tax guy gave no advice or anything. This group is addressing options like a solo 401k etc.We just felt better meeting with someone in person and looking at everything.

Topic Author
Newlearner19

Post by Newlearner19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am

Deblog wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 am
Our cpa was the same, cannot give investment advice and no recommendations for anyone local to use for that. We searched and I found a group that does it all. They have investment arm, cpa, and others in office. We just did a one time overview of our financial picture for a set price and had several meetings. Have a online discussion tonight to talk about taxes and year end planning.
Good luck & hope you’ll post more if good experience.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:20 pm

I wasn’t sure from your post what your expected marginal tax rates (in the absence of Roth conversions) will be over the course of your retirement. Have you done an analysis by year through age 95 of your income/deductions/marginal tax rate(s)? I include any IRMAA surcharges or NIIT in the marginal tax rates computed. I did the analysis for a sole survivor scenario too. When I get closer to making conversions, I plan to doublecheck my planned conversions with i-ORP or RPM (if I can finally figure it out!).

Roth conversions can help “level out” marginal tax rate(s) over each year. Does converting up to 22% or 24% in one or more years level out your rate(s)?

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 pm

First off, you are in a fine position financially.

As Dottie has shown, 3M implies a withdrawal rate of $120,000 a year at a 4% SWR. You say you need $85,000 before “his” SS, so your withdrawal rate until then, based on your 3.4M portfolio is only 2.5%, dropping further after start of SS. At 2.5% you will likely maintain your spending power with an increase in your nominal account balance over the years (with some ups-and-downs as the market varies), we call this a “perpetual” withdrawal rate.

I would seriously look at a 3% rate (inflation adjusted going forward) or starting at about $100,000, giving yourselves some extra spending money to use on yourselves or others close to you. Otherwise you could end up, in the classic old adage, being “the richest person in the graveyard”.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Topic Author
Newlearner19

Post by Newlearner19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:20 pm
I wasn’t sure from your post what your expected marginal tax rates (in the absence of Roth conversions) will be over the course of your retirement. Have you done an analysis by year through age 95 of your income/deductions/marginal tax rate(s)? I include any IRMAA surcharges or NIIT in the marginal tax rates computed. I did the analysis for a sole survivor scenario too. When I get closer to making conversions, I plan to doublecheck my planned conversions with i-ORP or RPM (if I can finally figure it out!).

Roth conversions can help “level out” marginal tax rate(s) over each year. Does converting up to 22% or 24% in one or more years level out your rate(s)?
Very helpful reply. Never heard of NIIT. :oops:
Googled & got drift. Does it apply if income is increased to do Roth conversions? Or would it apply only if RMDs & other investment income exceeds $250k for MFJ? Or both?
CPA didn’t suggest year by year analysis but sounds like good idea. Can you give more info or links to tools you mention & is there any hope of mere mortal who’s just learning doing them?
Thanks again.

Topic Author
Newlearner19

Post by Newlearner19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm

I would seriously look at a 3% rate (inflation adjusted going forward) or starting at about $100,000, giving yourselves some extra spending money to use on yourselves or others close to you. Otherwise you could end up, in the classic old adage, being “the richest person in the graveyard”.

Very reassuring. Unlike some on forum we could find ways to spend including charitable. Already knew if we saw reality heading way of some Monte Carlos showing so much left behind we’d find a way to spend it & not leave it.
They do NOT come right out and say it but seems like some money managers have the attitude of why worry about fees or focus too much on Roth conversions when you could die with $ left over. Bad unexpecteds can happen. Plus prefer to give to charity instead of Uncle Sam or money managers.
Year by year analysis seems good idea if using right tool is possible for idiot.
Thoughts on AA to achieve your projections?

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:52 pm

If you have Net Investment Income and your joint Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) is > $250k, then the lesser of your investment income or MAGI in excess of $250k is subject to the 3.8% tax. So yes the taxable IRA/401k distribution (that you later convert to Roth IRA) reported on Form 1099R will be included in your MAGI and may cause your investment income to be subject to NIIT. The IRA/401k distribution itself is not investment income.

As far as tools go, I started with an excel sheet with the years listed across the columns and used the rows to list income, deductions, taxes/IRMAA surcharges/NIIT, and calculate marginal tax rate rate. From there I began experimenting with adding Roth conversions to lower tax rate years to see if I could level out the rate across the years.

It looks like Roth conversions make sense for spouse/I especially if one of us was to be a sole survivor. I plan to fine tune how much to convert as we get closer to retirement (and figure out ACA healthcare insurance) and to run my numbers through some tools (which I have not completely done yet) like:
1. I-ORP at https://www.i-orp.com/Spend/index.html
2. RPM - Retiree Portfolio Model - creates by BH member Bigfoot. Here is the thread with links: viewtopic.php?t=97352
3. There is likely something helpful in the personal finance toolbox as per one of FiveK’s helpful posts.

My plan is to come up with a good Roth conversion plan and to not make myself (I am an optimizer) crazy about coming up with the perfect plan. About 45% of our portfolio is in tax deferred accounts. It likely makes sense to convert at least 1/2 to lower future RMDs and smooth out tax rates in retirement and to ease the tax burden for a sole survivor. Especially while tax rates are lower through 2025, my thinking is that it likely makes sense to do conversions up to the top of the 22% tax bracket and maybe into the 24% bracket even if we pay NIIT and trigger IRMAA surcharges in the 1st or 2nd tier for a couple years.

Hopefully this helps as you plan for your own situation. There are a lot of past threads and other BHs that have done this that I found helpful and you may find helpful as well.

Topic Author
Newlearner19

Post by Newlearner19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm

David Jay wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 pm

See other reply. Can someone who’s bad at posting replies in forum DIY in retirement? :oops:

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Newlearner19 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Very reassuring. Unlike some on forum we could find ways to spend including charitable. Already knew if we saw reality heading way of some Monte Carlos showing so much left behind we’d find a way to spend it & not leave it.
They do NOT come right out and say it but seems like some money managers have the attitude of why worry about fees or focus too much on Roth conversions when you could die with $ left over. Bad unexpecteds can happen. Plus prefer to give to charity instead of Uncle Sam or money managers.
Year by year analysis seems good idea if using right tool is possible for idiot.
Thoughts on AA to achieve your projections?
Any “reasonable” retirement AA will get you to 3%, I take Rick Ferri’s “sweet spot” of 30% stocks as a floor because of the potential for inflation. Even 3.5% likely only needs 40% - 50% stocks. Again, you guys are in great shape.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:52 pm
It looks like Roth conversions make sense for spouse/I especially if one of us was to be a sole survivor. I plan to fine tune how much to convert as we get closer to retirement (and figure out ACA healthcare insurance) and to run my numbers through some tools (which I have not completely done yet) like:
1. I-ORP at https://www.i-orp.com/Spend/index.html
2. RPM - Retiree Portfolio Model - creates by BH member Bigfoot. Here is the thread with links: viewtopic.php?t=97352
3. There is likely something helpful in the personal finance toolbox as per one of FiveK’s helpful posts.
Both I-ORP and the RPM Excel spreadsheet are good at providing multi-year looks, at the cost of some inaccuracy in annual tax calculations.

The personal finance toolbox Excel spreadsheet is good at providing a very accurate picture of federal (and in some cases, state) marginal tax rates, including most common credits and extra (e.g., NIIT) taxes and IRMAA tiers, at the cost of only providing this for a single year.

Good to have multiple tools available.

Juice3

Post by Juice3 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Newlearner19 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:27 am
Her tIRA $1.2M
Her 401k $1.5M

You are obviously in good shape. I take it "her" was a high earner.

Looking at a year by year plan is going to be important for you and trying to identify how to minimize taxes such as NIIT.

With a 2.7M current balance (and if you are not planning to start IRA withdrawals now), that tIRA/401K will grow (6%) to about 4.6M at her age 70 (10 years) when the RMDs hit. Taxes will then get ugly, you will be looking at a 170K RMD @70. That alone will push you very close to NIIT. Of course NIIT does not matter if you do not have investment income.

Small changes now can have a big impact. For example, getting part of the tIRA/401K converted to Roth will reduce your RMDs. So you might consider converting annually to a threshold such as near the top of 22% bracket and using the eFund to pay the tax due (which also reduces you NII). You will eventually be able to use the Roth as the eFund (learn the Roth withdrawal rules).

This can be emotionally unsettling as people associate the Roth balance as a "retirement" fund and not the same as money in a bank account (your eFund). So please consider not just the math but also the human parts of this process.

Also keep in mind that what the IRS sees as income is the same as a normal person. For example, the IRS sees Roth conversions as income. Most people would consider a distribution money they are spending and conversion money they are saving for the future.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Newlearner19 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:27 am
Priorities

1. Start his tIRA Roth conversion ASAP to get part of it done in 2019 if possible without going above 24% bracket.

2. Shift & rebalance IRA portfolio after your input on AA.

Seems like these are most important first steps then I can post more questions later. Thanks for great help.

Congrats! I am at the same age as you (61) and at $3.M you have more than I do. I have been retired for 17 months so I think you will do fine. It is more about your expenses at this point.

On those priorities, even though it seems like a wash, from the advice I got on this site, I started doing conversions to Roth IRA this year. All of my analysis looks like we will still be in the same tax bracket (22%) when RMDs start, but when one of us dies that bracket will jump up, so it cannot hurt to move what we can into Roths. So it cannot hurt to start the conversions as soon as you can. We move the full amount and pay the taxes mostly out of our cash.

Beginning on 2018 I shifted my retirement 401K+IRAs from 60/40 stocks/bonds to 40/60. Recently I moved to 30/70. I just decided I wanted to deal with a little less volatility. I have a pension so my SWR from these vehicles is low. I am willing to make the tradeoff. In fact my cash could handle my SWR (currently planned for just over 2%, but so far working out to less than that) for the years before I take SS, but emotionally a less volatile AA in these accounts is fine with me at this stage. so from an AA perspective it all depends on what I have seen called the "what lets you sleep well at night regardless of what the market is doing" factor. :happy

I am far from an experts just offering what I have done as we are not far apart in terms of age and assets. Good luck!

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm

My 2cents.. You can do this!
We did!

I retired 6+ years ago with somewhat similar balance. We had no idea what we were doing, but had a "bad feeling" when we talked to an advisor that recommended some variable annuities and some other "products" designed "just for our situation". We didn't bite, but this got me on the hunt to learn enough to understand what advise we needed. Instead I found BHs, and, with lots of study, realized we could do this ourselves. As a result we have a simpler portfolio that we understand and manage with confidence. No sleepless nights worrying if we got the "right" advisor or CPAs.

Suggestions:
-It's all about what helps you sleep at night, get on with life, and not have to worry about finances.
-Study, and discuss, your future budget now to understand your "must haves" vs. "nice to haves". Budget flexibility will help you relax and sleep when the markets turn sour. You will not have to worry about what to sell.
-Study a wide range of portfolios with their volatilities and risks. The better you understand the basics of what stocks and bonds do under different economic conditions the more confidence you will have in your, or your advisor's, plan. See the Wiki for recommended books and planning tools. Ask questions here. Learn to simplify your investments, and tax situation.
-Plan out some detailed budgets and scenarios/what-ifs using the tools recommended above or in the Wiki to see alternative multi-year plans.
-As you go, develop an IPS and a plan to simplify it as you age. You do not have to have it all figured out Day One. Commit to learning and simplifying as you go. It took us several years after retiring to settle in. While I did the bulk of the study and work, the planning was a great discussion between the two of us. We both sleep well at night knowing we have talked this through and understand the big picture.

Our experience:
We retired just before age 57, 6 1/2 years ago, with a bit north of 3M, most of which was in a 401(k), and no pensions. We developed a multi-year spending plan. And, based on the multiyear spending plan, we backed into an initial AA of about 40/60 to provide a bond ladder as a bridge to SS. With this spending plan we also developed a plan to gradually clean-up our messy investments and eventually end up with a 3-fund or single fund portfolio and an AA between 50/50 or 60/40 once we have our base expenses covered by SS. DW will switch everything to a single balanced fund if I loose my financial senses, or die. We are doing Roth conversions at the 22% level because it seems a wash if we are MFJ, but the taxes will jump if one of us passes and we have to file as an individual. We have not followed the plan in detail, but do use it as a general reference, like our IPS, to ensure we haven't veered too far off track. We have always tracked expenses, so that continues. We do use Fidelity as sort of a one-stop service, so look at our checkbook regularly. At first I watched the investments regularly, but now, rarely. The only "trades" I do are the annual conversion to Roth. I have rebalanced once in 6 years.

The experts here can help with your details, and help you become your own advisor, if you so choose. If you put in the study time up front, you will better understand what your investments are doing, and, with that knowledge, sleep much better at night. The investments will mostly ride on autopilot. That is simplicity!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Topic Author
Newlearner19

Post by Newlearner19 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm

wanderer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm
We did!

I retired 6+ years ago with somewhat similar balance. We had no idea what we were doing, but had a "bad feeling" when we talked to an advisor that recommended some variable annuities and some other "products" designed "just for our situation". We didn't bite, but this got me on the hunt to learn enough to understand what advise we needed. Instead I found BHs, and, with lots of study, realized we could do this ourselves.

We’ve also been surprised by things we’ve heard. Who said no one cares more about your money than yourself? Our only rush is Roth conversions this year but won’t rush into something stupid. Posts like this are very encouraging. Thanks for all good advice. Maybe someone can advise me how to quote part of a reply & add comments as I can’t find directions. :oops:

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Newlearner19 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm
wanderer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm
We did!

I retired 6+ years ago with somewhat similar balance. We had no idea what we were doing, but had a "bad feeling" when we talked to an advisor that recommended some variable annuities and some other "products" designed "just for our situation". We didn't bite, but this got me on the hunt to learn enough to understand what advise we needed. Instead I found BHs, and, with lots of study, realized we could do this ourselves.

We’ve also been surprised by things we’ve heard. Who said no one cares more about your money than yourself? Our only rush is Roth conversions this year but won’t rush into something stupid. Posts like this are very encouraging. Thanks for all good advice. Maybe someone can advise me how to quote part of a reply & add comments as I can’t find directions. :oops:
Welcome to the forum.
Start by clicking the " button on the top right of the post you want to quote.
That post will appear in a reply box between a beginning quote marker and an end quote marker.
Delete the extra material you don't care to quote.
Add your new comments after the end quote marker.

In edit you may have tried to do this and inadvertently deleted an end quote marker. I think so because I had to edit my reply add an end quote marker to keep my contribution from being included in your quote.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Newlearner19 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Maybe someone can advise me how to quote part of a reply & add comments as I can’t find directions.
onthecusp already provided the specific answer.

In case you want to delve deeply, see phpBB • Documentation. Current software version is phpBB 3.2.8..