Ascensus Simple IRA BlackRock Options

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
cjwest4

Ascensus Simple IRA BlackRock Options

Post by cjwest4 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm

So I just started a new job and I'm looking for advice for my Simple IRA.

I'm 30 and and I'm looking for the best return, not so worried about risk at this point in my career and life.

What BlackRock ETF's would people recommend? Should I do part iShares 500 part emerging markets.

My employer matches 3% so I'm going to take advantage of that. Should I go to just a certain point and invest elsewhere then?

Thanks for any advice and help I can get!

retiredjg

Re: Ascensus Simple IRA BlackRock Options

Post by retiredjg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 pm

We don't know what you have available in your plan. A common suggestion would be to look for the funds with the lowest expense ratios and consider a 500 index, an international stock index (or hold this in a Roth IRA) and an intermediate term bond fund.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Here's a good place to start some reading.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Welcome to the forum :) .

cjwest4 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm
So I just started a new job and I'm looking for advice for my Simple IRA.

I'm 30 and and I'm looking for the best return, not so worried about risk at this point in my career and life.

What BlackRock ETF's would people recommend? Should I do part iShares 500 part emerging markets.

My employer matches 3% so I'm going to take advantage of that. Should I go to just a certain point and invest elsewhere then?

Thanks for any advice and help I can get!
In selecting funds to use strive for a combination of both broad diversification (to limit risk) and very low expense ratios (to increase net return).

I suggest a combination of these BlackRock ETFs:
1) iShares Core S&P Total U.S. Stock Market ETF (ITOT) ER 0.03%;
2) iShares Core MSCI Total International Stock ETF (IXUS) ER 0.09%; and
3) iShares Core U.S. Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG) ER 0.05%.

I suggest making the maximum annual employee contribution of $13k to the SIMPLE IRA if practical. BlackRock iShares are excellent ETFs, there is no reason to limit yourself to just enough contributions to get any employer match.

If you can afford to contribute more than that, then open and contribute up to $6k annually to an IRA at a low cost fund provider like Vanguard or Fidelity.

When young the most important investing decision you can make is to establish a high contribution rate. When starting that will have more impact on portfolio growth than anything else.

Do you currently have other accounts (like IRAs or 401ks from former employers)? What investments do you have in any other accounts? Please give fund names, tickers and expense. Do you have any debt? It is important to coordinate investments among all accounts.

You can simply add this to your original post using the edit button (the pencil icon near the upper right corner of your post), it helps a lot if all of your information is In one place.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Topic Author
cjwest4

Post by cjwest4 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

I currently don't have any other accounts. I do have $800 in Robinhood but it's currently sitting in cash funds while I'm educating myself. Figured I can at least start putting money to the side for now. I've been putting all my money towards debt over the last 7 years. Down to $17,000, which is better than $113,000 that I started from. (DON'T GO TO PRIVATE UNIVERSITY)

I'm going to take your advice and split up between those 3 iShares. The expenses on them were the most attractive.

So I guess I'll focus on maxing out my employee contribution and from there set up something with Vanguard. All I hear are great things about their Index Funds.

Thanks again for all the responses. I look forward to learning more and continuing on this path to financial freedom.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

cjwest4 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:32 pm
Thank you all for your responses.

I currently don't have any other accounts. I do have $800 in Robinhood but it's currently sitting in cash funds while I'm educating myself. Figured I can at least start putting money to the side for now. I've been putting all my money towards debt over the last 7 years. Down to $17,000, which is better than $113,000 that I started from. (DON'T GO TO PRIVATE UNIVERSITY)

I'm going to take your advice and split up between those 3 iShares. The expenses on them were the most attractive.

So I guess I'll focus on maxing out my employee contribution and from there set up something with Vanguard. All I hear are great things about their Index Funds.

Thanks again for all the responses. I look forward to learning more and continuing on this path to financial freedom.
It's great to see you aggressively paying off the student debt.

It's good to see that you will make maximum contributions to your SIMPLE IRA. When young and just starting the most important investing decision you can make is to establish a high contribution rate.

To educate yourself I suggest reading one or two good books on investing. Wiki article, "Books: recommendations and reviews". Also see the wiki article, "Bogleheads® investment philosophy" .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started