Ways to avoid account transfer fees between brokerages?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
addicoe

Ways to avoid account transfer fees between brokerages?

Post by addicoe » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:42 pm

I want to move a roth IRA from one brokerage to another, but there is a fee involved. The only way I can think of to avoid the fee is to open a second roth IRA and only transfer part of the funds. Would that work?

RickBoglehead

Re: Ways to avoid account transfer fees between brokerages?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:43 pm

There should be no fee to transfer. Some brokerages charge a fee to close an account. Perhaps you could leave $1?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:48 pm

addicoe wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:42 pm
I want to move a roth IRA from one brokerage to another, but there is a fee involved. The only way I can think of to avoid the fee is to open a second roth IRA and only transfer part of the funds. Would that work?
Other alternative is leave a small amount of money behind in the original IRA, withdraw it, and then manually roll it in to your new IRA within 60 days. As long as you do it once per year you should be fine with the IRS and no fee for full account transfer.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:50 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:43 pm
There should be no fee to transfer. Some brokerages charge a fee to close an account. Perhaps you could leave $1?
A lot of the brokers charge $50 or $75 for full account transfer.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Instead of pushing money out of your brokerage institution, try pulling from your destination institution. I have seen most institutions bear the cost of pulling inbound money and is free to us.

Good luck!

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:56 pm

addicoe wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:42 pm
Some brokerages like Vanguard will not reimburse fees, but how much are we talking about? $50? $75? This nonsense of keeping $1 in an account etc. for the next fifty years to avoid fees ... seriously? Just yet another annoyance for your beneficiaries to deal with.

illumination

Post by illumination » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:56 pm

I got hit with a $95 fee per account with Wells Fargo when I moved funds. I moved 3 account, so $285.

In hindsight, I should have left $1 in there just for spite. Ive done business there for decades also. Really soured me even further to where I plan to move it all out.

I personally think there should be some consumer protection laws for fees on closing an account in good standing.

jcar

Post by jcar » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 pm

illumination wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:56 pm
I got hit with a $95 fee per account with Wells Fargo when I moved funds. I moved 3 account, so $285.

In hindsight, I should have left $1 in there just for spite. Ive done business there for decades also. Really soured me even further to where I plan to move it all out.

I personally think there should be some consumer protection laws for fees on closing an account in good standing.
[/quote
I just made a move from Vanguard to ML. VG charged nothing though I believe ML would have reimbursed if they had charged.

illumination

Post by illumination » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:25 pm

[/quote
I just made a move from Vanguard to ML. VG charged nothing though I believe ML would have reimbursed if they had charged.
[/quote]

I got a nice bonus to move that exceeded the closing fee, I just thought it was REALLY bad business that they charged anything. Especially when it's more of a punitive fee than an actual closing cost. If they charged say $6 or something for a processing fee, fine, but just under a hundred dollars? Whatever math they did on that doesn't account for how many irate customers plan to tell everyone never to open a brokerage account with them.

Wells Fargo is one of those banks that deserves every bit of the outrage they get.

student

Post by student » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:07 pm

illumination wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:25 pm
I got a nice bonus to move that exceeded the closing fee, I just thought it was REALLY bad business that they charged anything. Especially when it's more of a punitive fee than an actual closing cost. If they charged say $6 or something for a processing fee, fine, but just under a hundred dollars? Whatever math they did on that doesn't account for how many irate customers plan to tell everyone never to open a brokerage account with them.

Wells Fargo is one of those banks that deserves every bit of the outrage they get.
My experience seems to be the following:
1) Firms, such as Vanguard, do not have closing fee but they do not give bonus for opening an account either.
2) Firms, such as Etrade, have closing fee but they give bonus for opening an account.

Seems fair to me. I am not familiar with Wells Fargo and do not know whether they give a bonus. So it may be particularly bad. Fidelity used to be in category 2 but it is now in category 1.
Last edited by student on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:17 pm

illumination wrote:

So you're going to leave it up to your beneficiaries to deal with three more accounts, even to save $285?

a_movable_life

Post by a_movable_life » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:25 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:17 pm
illumination wrote:

So you're going to leave it up to your beneficiaries to deal with three more accounts, even to save $285?
Don't most places have a threshold below where they close the account?

I've thought of doing this with Saturna, but what happens when they bill the 25$ "Inactivity fee" can they take me to collections for the 20 dollars?

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:43 pm

tibbitts wrote:
illumination wrote:

His beneficiaries will inherit $285 more. Not a bad bargain. They can let the $1 escheat to the state if they dont want to cash it out.

goingup

Post by goingup » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:20 am

I'd pay the closure fee and move on. I don't like loose ends and try to lead a tidy financial life. It's easier that way.

illumination

Post by illumination » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 am

tibbitts wrote:
illumination wrote:

Well first of all, I didn't do this, I said I wish I had just out of spite. :mrgreen:

But closure of an accounts like this (along with about 10 other accounts) represents about 5 minutes of extra work for my beneficiaries. I don't sit around worry about my kids having to close my PayPal or iTunes accounts either. And if they never get the $1 dollar I left in the Roth IRA account at Wells Fargo, oh well.

But $285 more compounded over a few decades in retirement accounts could easily be a few thousand when I die.

I get people leaving a dollar in there and maybe the bank closes it on their own and send you the dollar because it costs them more money to service it. A $95 closure fee is completely unreasonable. But I know now what to look for in the fine print, I just assumed the bank I had worked with decades would be reasonable on their brokerage.

GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 pm

My wife's father passed away recently with three accounts as you describe.

One just send us money immediately, one is still in progress ... and the third was Merrill.

They took several months to sell and send us money from his IRA account, after trying very hard to get us to keep it there. We said cash it out, withhold for tax, and send us the money. It was only about $6k. So we got the $6k but after a month or so they sent us a check for $ .08. Yes, 8¢. Because they didn't do the math properly the first time.

I hope the outstanding account doesn't play the same games.