Any investment magazines beating the indexes?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
cato

Any investment magazines beating the indexes?

Post by cato »

This time of year, it's entertaining to see the various investment periodicals comparing their January stock picks against the indexes. So far, I've gotten Smart Money, Money, Kiplingler's, and Fortune. They've all underperformed the S&P for the year -- in one case by over 12%. That includes picks from the panel of "experts" recruited by one magazine.

I think Forbes' columnists publish their performance next week. That should be real fun. I recall someone recommending FNMA and Citi. So much for stockpicking.....
Citigroup delenda est.
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

But there will be one. And someone will go see haha! you can beat the sp 500 index ;) by having managed funds.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Once in a while a managed fund can beat the index. Vanguard has some good fund managers. But the magazines are recommending funds that have not done as well as the index. People who rely on magazines for advice deserve what they get.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
bigbang

Re: Any investment magazines beating the indexes?

Post by bigbang »

cato wrote:This time of year, it's entertaining to see the various investment periodicals comparing their January stock picks against the indexes. So far, I've gotten Smart Money, Money, Kiplingler's, and Fortune. They've all underperformed the S&P for the year -- in one case by over 12%. That includes picks from the panel of "experts" recruited by one magazine.

I think Forbes' columnists publish their performance next week. That should be real fun. I recall someone recommending FNMA and Citi. So much for stockpicking.....
I think you may not understand what is going on here. This is a joke on those who BELIEVE that these magazines are giving REAL advice on stocks. The joke is on the reader who buys the stocks(well, actually the magazine).

None of the EXPERTS will give truthful honest opinion for free. Whatever the reason for doing so there is some string attach to it. Some might talk up a stock AFTER they buy it but never before. Same goes for anaylsts as well.

Threre is no point in bashing them since they are getting the last laugh. Otherwise, the covers would be some other topic, like INDEXING. :lol:

BB
Topic Author
cato

Post by cato »

bigbang wrote: I think you may not understand what is going on here. This is a joke on those who BELIEVE that these magazines are giving REAL advice on stocks. The joke is on the reader who buys the stocks(well, actually the magazine). . . .
I think they collectively cost me about $90/year. It's still worth it. Forbes in particular has many articles that make it worthwhile, in spite of the mediocre investment advice. I think these periodicals are also a good barometer of what the market has factored in. Interestingly, their common themes this year are:

* Buy TIPs

* Buy dividend paying large caps with non-cyclical businesses: JNJ, MRK, etc.

* The real estate market will bottom in the next 12-16 months.

Contrarians should act accordingly....
Citigroup delenda est.
Adrian Nenu

Post by Adrian Nenu »

Anyone who had less than 100% in stocks beat the equity indexes.

Adrian
anenu@tampabay.rr.com
bigbang

Post by bigbang »

cato wrote:
bigbang wrote: I think you may not understand what is going on here. This is a joke on those who BELIEVE that these magazines are giving REAL advice on stocks. The joke is on the reader who buys the stocks(well, actually the magazine). . . .
I think they collectively cost me about $90/year. It's still worth it. Forbes in particular has many articles that make it worthwhile, in spite of the mediocre investment advice. I think these periodicals are also a good barometer of what the market has factored in. Interestingly, their common themes this year are:

* Buy TIPs

* Buy dividend paying large caps with non-cyclical businesses: JNJ, MRK, etc.

* The real estate market will bottom in the next 12-16 months.

Contrarians should act accordingly....
I happen to know that most businesses will subscribe to Forbes/Fortune because of their content. The rest are a notch or so lower. I try to read them every month.

I am not trying to bash the magazine itself; I happen to learn long ago that they still have to "advertise" to get the attention of those who will pick it up and read it. I was simply trying to point out that they have no better scoop than anyone else might have and so their stocks picks are just for fun.

I am not a stock picker basher but I do invest in active mgt funds. By giving up a certain portion to active mgt and the rest to indexing, I do not go crazy over AA, trying to pick up better returns by tilting towards the latest craze. Works for me.

BB
chaz

Post by chaz »

Adrian Nenu wrote:Anyone who had less than 100% in stocks beat the equity indexes.

Adrian
anenu@tampabay.rr.com
Diversification is important.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

Actually, my magazine Dale's Killer Portfolios has beaten the market for 8 years running.

I publish 33 portfolios ranging from 100% equities and 0% bonds to 0% equities and 100% bonds. The equity portions are either 0%, 25% or 50% international to comprise the 33 portfolios.

For the past 8 years, each of the portfolios has beaten the corresponding portfolios comprised of appropriate percentages of Total Stock Market, Total International and Total Bond Market by a factor of 2. There has never been a losing month.

The magazine presently has limited circulation (by invitation only) and the portfolio results are audited by my trusted sister (with some assistance from me).

Subsriptions will be offered to the public in another two years after I have built a 10 year record.

Please do not tease, beg or cajole me to provide subscriptions earlier to the unwashed. You may however, find sample copies at your local golf club if it meets my standards of exclusivity.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
koekebakker

Post by koekebakker »

Nice one :)
bearwolf

Post by bearwolf »

cato wrote:Citigroup delenda est.
Are they based in Carthage?

BearWolf
chaz

Post by chaz »

bearwolf wrote:
cato wrote:Citigroup delenda est.
Are they based in Carthage?

BearWolf
Yes, for those who want an offshore account.
Karl

Post by Karl »

If you roll up the magazine you can beat someone or something with it I suppose. I think that's the only beating they can provide.