Need help, Portfolio is a mess

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
RoAG

Need help, Portfolio is a mess

Post by RoAG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 am

Hello fellas!!
Ive been trying to get my finances in order recently and kinda feel overwhelmed. Ive recently rollover my old employer 401k into a Fidelity IRA and not sure how to go about getting started investing in it. I also started a Webull account and have gone little oveboard with it buying stocks left and right. Plan was to use my webull account and my brokerage account in fidelity as personal investments to use for new car/vacation etc. Also I would like some help maximing my tax situation and total portfolio allocation. Im leaning towards a 90%/10% or even 95%/5% AA.

39 yo, 22% tax bracket, married filing jointly

Retirement accounts
Fidelity 401k= 46K: Contributing 8%, company match 3% of the 6%. Company also matches 4% automatically match on top of that.
25% T.Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Trust(class T5) ER .57%
16% Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional shares(VINIX), .035%
22% Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund Institutional Shares(VIEIX), ER .06%
11% Carrilon Eagle Small Cap Growth Fund Class R6(HSRUX), ER .65%
20% T.Rowe Price International Discovery FUnd I Class(TIDDX), ER 1.07%
5% Loomis Sayles Strategic Income Fund Class Y(NEZYX), ER .71%

I recently reallocated some assets in this 401k because i had like 8 funds at one point. Got rid of the target date fund and large and small cap funds. I know I have some overlapping funds in large and small caps with the Carrilon and Trowe Blue Chip but the returns have exceeded the Vanguards funds. Figure the higher ER was worth, though could be wrong. Contributing 4% currently to the Loomis Fund, 96% into the equities funds.

Other funds Ive considered in my 401k are:
Bonds
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Shares(VBTIX) .035%
PIMCO Total Return Fund Institutional Class(PTTRX) .71%
International
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Institutional Shares(VTSNX), .08%
Harding Loevner International Equity Portfolio Institutional Class(HLMIX), .81%
Midcap
Wellington Trust Mid-Cap Opportunities Portfolio, .71%

Fidelity Rollover IRA 63k
JD.com (JD) 8 shares
Alibaba (BABA) 8 shares
Tesla (TSLA) 6 shares
Still have 60k to invest in here initial plan was to invest 80%/90% in index funds/etf and 10/20% in stocks. Not sure now what to do or when and how to go into the market. Basically need advice for entry points for the 60k left to invest. I was not contributing to the old 401k since I left my old job but will try to fund this new IRA.

Personal Accounts
WEBULL 5k
All stocks and one gold etf. Mix of dividend stocks and some smaller growth stocks. Plan was to use this as way to grow my money instead of having it sit in my bank getting no returns.
I can list them if needed.

Fidelty Brokerage 21k
Fidelity Total Bond(FTBFX) 500.00 from what i gather think this is in the wrong account, should be removed due to tax purposes.
Fidelity Zero Total Market Index(FZROX) 2400
Company Stock 17k (get 10% discount)
Had same plan here as my webull account, using as investment for my personal money.

HSA 2.6k
cash 1.4k
AMD stock 280.00
VANGUARD BD INDEX FUND INC TOTAL BOND MARKET ETF(BND) ER .035%, 340.00
Fidelity Zero Large Cap Fund(FNILX), 176.00
Fidelity Zero Interntational(FZILX) 131.00
Fidelity Zero Total Market(FZROX) 198.00

Im just getting into investing money in my HSA, Ive heard how good it is as another retirement tool. Need advice on how to proceed with it as well.

Wife 401k 22k
I believe she as 5 funds mix of large cap and small and 5% of it in a bond fund.

Also want to mention I have a rental propertgty as well. Moved my banking accounts into a credit union due to the higher rates of return on their savings and checking account. Getting a 1.25% on my savings for the 1st year which will climb to 2.5% 2nd year. Checking is giving 3% on the first 15k, .25% anything above that. Im already near the 15k limit on the checking. I dont have any debt except for the 2 mortgages. I believe i can possibly increase my 401k contribution to 20%. I have 40k at the moment sitting on my old bank and check account that i need to either move to my new credit union or invest it in my brokerage account.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated and let me know if theres any other info you guys need.
Thanks
Last edited by RoAG on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkHelmetII

Re: Need help, Portfolio is a mess

Post by DarkHelmetII » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 am

1) Select your desired asset allocation across 4 buckets:
- S&P 500
- US "extended market" - a single fidelity fund encompassing both medium and small cap
- Total (US) Bond Market
- International Index that will be about 80 - 85% developed with residual emerging

2) Achieve your target AA (asset allocation) across ALL funds tagged for retirement including 401ks, IRAs, HSA's, taxable

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:03 am

RoAG wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 am
I also started a Webull account and have gone little oveboard with it buying stocks left and right. Plan was to use my webull account and my brokerage account in fidelity as personal investments to use for new car/vacation etc.
That was a bad plan, money that will be needed within five years should not be invested in the stock market. I would just use a saving account with the best interest rate that I could find for this.

KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:14 am

Those ERs...my eyes are bleeding...

Suggest googling "If You Can" pdf and reading that. Next take a dip into the Boglehead wiki - watch the videos, read as much as you can.

Simplify!
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:50 am

Consider the following to simplify, diversify and lower costs:

1. Hold your emergency funds (6-12 months of living expenses) in a high yield savings account.

2. Hold your additional savings for car/vacation/etc. in a separate high yield savings account, not stocks and bonds.

3. Taxable accounts - consolidate everything into the one Fidelity brokerage account. Invest in low-cost tax-efficient diversified equity funds/ETFs according to your desired asset allocation. Suggested funds are Fidelity’s US and International Total Stock Market Funds - FSKAX or FZROX (US) and FTIHX or FZILX (International).

4. Tax deferred accounts - rollover your Fidelity tIRA into your Fidelity 401k if it accepts rollovers in. Simplify into fewer lower-cost funds. Suggest you use VINIX, VTSNX, VBTIX for your US equity, International equity and US bond holdings. Avoid high ER funds as high fees will erode your investment returns over your investment horizon.

You don’t mention your contribution levels. You and your spouse should target to contribute at least 15-20% of your total gross income maxing out your 401ks, IRAs, HSA with any extra going into your Taxable account. If you have children, consider saving for college in a 529 plan(s).

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:42 am

Welcome to the forum :) .

You have some excellent broadly diversified, low expense institutional index funds offered in your current 401k, you are fortunate. You should make maximum use of those funds and that account.

Additional information.
RoAG wrote:
Hello fellas!!
Ive been trying to get my finances in order recently and kinda feel overwhelmed.

. . . . .

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated and let me know if theres any other info you guys need.
About how much (in dollars) do you believe that you may be able to contribute annually to investing (total, all accounts)? (When starting out establishing a high contribution rate is probably the most important investing decision you can make.)

Does your spouse have any accounts? If so what are the accounts, how large are they, and what are the investments in them? (Its usually best to coordinate the investments of a married couple.)

Do you have any debt? If so what types, amounts and interest rates? (Paying off higher interest debt can be a good "investment.")

Will your current 401k accept a rollover from an IRA?

Is there an employer match offered in your current 401k? If so what is it?

Are there restrictions on when you can sell the company stock which you buy at a discount?

You can simply add this to your original post using the edit button (the pencil icon near the upper right corner of your post), it helps a lot if all of your information is in one place.

Asset allocation.
RoAG wrote:
Also I would like some help maximing my tax situation and total portfolio allocation. Im leaning towards a 90%/10% or even 95%/5% AA.

39 yo, 22% tax bracket, married filing jointly
At age 39 I suggest about 20% in bonds or other fixed income investments (like CDs, savings accounts, money market fund). This is expected to substantially reduce portfolio volatility (risk), with only a relatively modest decrease in portfolio return. Graph, "An Efficient Frontier: the power of diversification". Please see:
1) Wiki article Bogleheads® investment philosophy, part 3 "Never bear too much or too little risk";
2) Wiki article, "Asset allocation"; and
3) Morningstar (8/10/2019), "The Best Diversifiers for Your Equity Portfolio".

I suggest around 20 - 30% of stocks in international stocks. Vanguard paper (March 2012), "Considerations for investing in non-U.S. equities". Historically, allocating 20% of an equity portfolio to non-U.S. stocks would have captured about 84% of the maximum possible diversification benefit, and allocating 30% of an equity portfolio to non-U.S. stocks would have captured about 99% of the maximum possible diversification benefit (p. 6). (You can find lots of debate here on international allocation, opinions ranging all the way from 00% to 50% of stocks in international stocks. If you want more viewpoints on international stocks please try the Google search box, upper right, this page).

That works out to about 20% bonds, 20% international stocks, and 60% domestic stocks. Asset allocation is a very personal decision. You must decide on an allocation that is comfortable for you based on your own ability, willingness and need to take risk.

Account consolidation.
RoAG wrote:
Ive recently rollover my old employer 401k into a Fidelity IRA and not sure how to go about getting started investing in it.

. . . . .

Fidelity Rollover IRA 63k
JD.com (JD) 8 shares
Alibaba (BABA) 8 shares
Tesla (TSLA) 6 shares
Still have 60k to invest in here initial plan was to invest 80%/90% in index funds/etf and 10/20% in stocks. Not sure now what to do or when and how to go into the market. Basically need advice for entry points for the 60k left to invest. I was not contributing to the old 401k since I left my old job but will try to fund this new IRA
If your current 401k will accept a rollover from an IRA, then I suggest rolling this account over into your current 401k plan. You have some excellent broadly diversified, low expense institutional index funds offered in your current 401k, you are fortunate. You should make maximum use of those funds and that account.

This also simplifies your portfolio, giving you one less account to keep track of and manage.

Account funding priority.
Here is a general account funding priority that usually works well for many people:
1) Contribute to the work-based plans (401k, 403b, 457, SIMPLE IRA, TSP, etc.) enough to get the full employer match (the match is like free money, your best possible investment);
2) Pay off high interest debt (a guaranteed high return, the next best thing to free money);
3) Contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA) if available (unlike many other tax deductions, there are no income restrictions to contribute to an HSA);
2) Contribute the maximum to an IRA, traditional or Roth (or backdoor Roth technique), depending on eligibility and personal circumstances;
3) Contribute the remainder of the maximum employee contribution to the work-based accounts; and
4) Contribute to a taxable investing account.

"If the company plan offers good, low-cost funds, it may be preferable to contribute to the company plan before contributing to an IRA." Please see the wiki article "Prioritizing investments". Your 401k offers excellent low cost institutional index funds, so maximum contributions to your 401k are a priority in my opinion.

Fund selection.
In selecting funds strive for a combination of broad diversification (to reduce risk) and low expense ratios (to increase your net return). To simply and easily achieve those two goals I suggest choosing funds to simulate the very well diversified, low expense ratio "three-fund portfolio". Please see:
1) Wiki article "Three-fund portfolio";
2) Forum discussion, "The Three-Fund Portfolio"; and
3) Taylor Larimore post, "Articles recommending the three-fund portfolio".

RoAG wrote:
Retirement accounts
Fidelity 401k= 46K
25% T.Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Trust(class T5) ER .57%
16% Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional shares(VINIX), .035%
22% Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund Institutional Shares(VIEIX), ER .06%
11% Carrilon Eagle Small Cap Growth Fund Class R6(HSRUX), ER .65%
20% T.Rowe Price International Discovery FUnd I Class(TIDDX), ER 1.07%
5% Loomis Sayles Strategic Income Fund Class Y(NEZYX), ER .71%

I recently reallocated some assets in this 401k because i had like 8 funds at one point. Got rid of the target date fund and large and small cap funds. I know I have some overlapping funds in large and small caps with the Carrilon and Trowe Blue Chip but the returns have exceeded the Vanguards funds. Figure the higher ER was worth, though could be wrong. Contributing 4% currently to the Loomis Fund, 96% into the equities funds.

Other funds Ive considered in my 401k are:
Bonds
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Shares(VBTIX) .035%
PIMCO Total Return Fund Institutional Class(PTTRX) .71%
International
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Institutional Shares(VTSNX), .08%
Harding Loevner International Equity Portfolio Institutional Class(HLMIX), .81%
Midcap
Wellington Trust Mid-Cap Opportunities Portfolio, .71%
In your 401k I suggest simply using:
1) Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional Shares (a S&P 500 index fund, covers 82% of U.S. stock market) (VINIX). ER 0.035%;
2) Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Institutional Shares (VTSNX) ER 0.08%; and
3) Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Shares (VBTIX) ER 0.035%.

For domestic stocks I suggest using a total stock market index fund where available; otherwise an S&P 500 index fund (such as Vanguard Institutional Index Fund in your 401k) is good enough by itself for domestic stocks. "In a 401(k) plan with limited choices one might very well opt for an S&P 500 index fund to serve as the domestic stock component of a three-fund portfolio." Wiki article, Three-fund portfolio, "Other considerations".

In my opinion in a plan that lacks a total stock market index fund, a S&P 500 index fund is good enough by itself for a domestic stock allocation. A S&P 500 index fund covers 82% of the U.S. stock market, investing in stocks of selected large-cap and mid-cap U.S. companies. In the 27 years since the creation of the first total stock market index fund the performance of the two types of funds has been almost identical. Morningstar, "growth of $10k" graph (1992 – 2019), VTSAX vs VFIAX. In the first 10 years the S&P 500 fund did better, in the last 10 years the they have been about the same (on a $10,000 investment the difference was $13 a year), and over the 27 years the total market fund gave a little more return. So it seems that adding a little in mid/small cap stocks trying to mimic the holdings of a total stock market fund has historically made little difference in performance.

See also:
1) Allan Roth, CBS Moneywatch (02/03/2010), "John C. Bogle on the S&P 500 vs. the Total Stock Market"; and
2) Wall Street Physician (01/17/2019), "Should You Invest in the S&P 500 or the Total Stock Market?".

If you want to add Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund Institutional Shares (VIEIX), then an 82/18 mix of the S&P 500 and extended market funds will approximate the content of a total stock market index fund. Wiki article, "Approximating total stock market". In my opinion this is not necessary, it is optional if you prefer to do this.

Low expense ratios are critical to long-term investing performance. Seemingly small annual fees have a large cumulative impact over time. Here is a calculator you could use to estimate the impact of investing expenses. Bankrate.com, "Mutual fund fees calculator".

Also, low expense ratios are the best predictor of future performance. Morningstar, 8/9/10 . “If there's anything in the whole world of mutual funds that you can take to the bank, it's that expense ratios help you make a better decision. In every single time period and data point tested, low-cost funds beat high-cost funds.” “Investors should make expense ratios a primary test in fund selection. They are still the most dependable predictor of performance.”

"The expense ratio is the most proven predictor of future fund returns." "There are many other things to consider, but investors should make expense ratios their first or second screen." Morningstar, 5/5/18.

Shorter term goals.
RoAG wrote:
I also started a Webull account and have gone little oveboard with it buying stocks left and right. Plan was to use my webull account and my brokerage account in fidelity as personal investments to use for new car/vacation etc.

. . . . .

Personal Accounts
WEBULL 5k
All stocks and one gold etf. Mix of dividend stocks and some smaller growth stocks. Plan was to use this as way to grow my money instead of having it sit in my bank getting no returns.
I can list them if needed.

Fidelty Brokerage 21k
Fidelity Total Bond(FTBFX) 500.00 from what i gather think this is in the wrong account, should be removed due to tax purposes.
Fidelity Zero Total Market Index(FZROX) 2400
Company Stock 17k (get 10% discount)
Had same plan here as my webull account, using as investment for my personal money.
Money for use in 5 years or less should not be in the stock market, instead should be in relatively safe savings vehicles like federally insured savings accounts, short-term CDs, money market funds, or short-term bond funds.

For rates on savings accounts and CDs see: www.bankrate.com.

For funds you can consider:
1) Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX) current SEC Yield = 2.00%;
2) Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (VMFXX) current SEC Yield = 1.94%;
3) Vanguard Ultra Short-term Bond Fund (VUBFX) current SEC Yield = 2.16%; and
4) iShares Ultra Short-Term Bond ETF (ICSH) current SEC Yield = 2.31%.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Topic Author
RoAG

Post by RoAG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it. I have edited my original post with some of the information you guys were asking. The reason I didnt want to transfer the old 401k into my new 401k was because of the limited options to choose from and the 401k fees of the plan. I want the freedom to able to invest some of that money into stock etf etc and fidelity not charging me a fee for having the account open etc. I believe there wont be an issue transferring over the IRA to my current 401k.

After reading all the suggestions you guys offered, Im considering allocating my investments in the 401k to:
VINIX 60% LARGE CAP
VIEIX 30% MID/Small
VTSNX 15% INT
VBTIX 5% BOND
Im willing to take risk hence the 5% on bonds. Also wanted to mention the reason I have those other funds in the 401k was because they outperform these vanguard funds over past 10% year mark.

Also would like some suggestions or tips with how to invest in my hsa. Should i consider sector etf or reits etc there?

For my taxable accounts i would like to get some feedback regarding taxes etc and what i shouldnt have in those accounts. This will be my first year dealing with capital gains/loss etc so advice would be greatly appreciated. I believe i will sell that bond fund in my fidelity brokerage for the tax burden of it soon. Will consider closing out my webull account and consolidating it into my fidelity brokerage once trades are free at fidelity.

Topic Author
RoAG

Post by RoAG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Forgot to mention the credit union Im now using is BCU(baxter credit union).
The checking rate of 3% is awesome. Check it out www.bcu.org. You have to work for certain companies
or live in Illinois to become members or have relatives that work for certain companies.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Your final 401k fund choices are very good. With 60% in large cap (VINIX) and 30% in small/mid-cap (VIEIX), you are overweighting small/mid-cap. If you were to invest according to market weight, the 90% would be split more like 74% VINIX and 16% (VIEIX). I mention this in case the tilt was unintentional.

Assuming you are contributing to the HSA but not withdrawing from it until retirement, I would invest it 100% in a US or International Total Stock Market Fund for highest expected growth which will be tax-free if distributed for qualified expenses.

For tax-efficiency, use the US or International Total Stock Market Funds in your Taxable account. Gains for holdings > 1 year are subject to lower capital gains rates (and may not be taxed at all if income is low enough). International dividends also may be eligible for the Foreign Tax Credit.
Agree with selling bond fund in your taxable account and holding your bond fund in your 401k for tax-efficiency.

If you decide to hold REITs, do so in a tax deferred account or HSA or Roth. Don’t hold REITs in a Taxable account.

Here’s a link to the wiki page on tax-efficient fund placement:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-eff ... _placement

Here’s a link for the Foreign Tax Credit wiki page in case you are not familiar with it:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Foreign_tax_credit

Here’s a link to the wiki page on Approximating Total Stock Market, which I used to come up with the 74%-16% in my 401k comment:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market

Wiki page on REITs:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Real_es ... ment_trust

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:36 pm

RoAG wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:45 pm
The reason I didnt want to transfer the old 401k into my new 401k was because of the limited options to choose from and the 401k fees of the plan.
The fund options you mentioned for your new 401k do not seem "limited" to me.

Are there 401k fees charged to you in the new 401k plan in addition to the expense ratios? If so what are the extra fees, and the amounts? The expense ratios you listed are very low.

RoAG wrote:
I want the freedom to able to invest some of that money into stock etf etc and fidelity not charging me a fee for having the account open etc.
Is there some stock fund or stock ETF you want and can get in the old 401k which you cannot get in the new 401k? If so what is it?

If necessary you could do a partial rollover of the old 401k.

RoAG wrote:
Also would like some suggestions or tips with how to invest in my hsa. Should i consider sector etf or reits etc there?
In the HSA I suggest very diversified index funds, you could consider a total stock market index fund.

What fund firm is the HSA with?

If with Fidelity consider Fidelity Total Market Index Fund (FSKAX).

RoAG wrote:
For my taxable accounts i would like to get some feedback regarding taxes etc and what i shouldnt have in those accounts. This will be my first year dealing with capital gains/loss etc so advice would be greatly appreciated. I believe i will sell that bond fund in my fidelity brokerage for the tax burden of it soon. Will consider closing out my webull account and consolidating it into my fidelity brokerage once trades are free at fidelity.
What funds to use in the taxable account depends largely on the intended use of the money. If for short-term uses like a car purchase or vacations it should not be invested in the stock market, but instead should be in relatively safe savings vehicles, such as the examples previously given.

In an account at Fidelity a good choice would be iShares Ultra Short-Term Bond ETF (ICSH) current SEC Yield = 2.31%.

If intended for long-term investing such as a supplement to the retirement accounts, then use very tax-efficient stock index funds or stock index ETFs. Wiki article, "Tax-efficient fund placement". In an account at Fidelity consider iShares Core S&P Total U.S. Stock Market ETF (ITOT) ER 0.03% or iShares Core MSCI Total International Stock ETF (IXUS) ER 0.09%.I

Those BlackRock iShares ETFs have been more tax-efficient than the corresponding Fidelity stock index funds.

I do not have any accounts at Fidelity, but believe that Fidelity offers BlackRock iShares ETFs commission free.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Topic Author
RoAG

Post by RoAG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:06 pm

The fees im seeing are adminsitrailtive fees for each fund every quarter generally under 2 bucks. Also noticed a bookeeping fee as well though didnt see one this quarter for my current investments, but when I had my target fund there a few every qt.

Like mentioned before I wanted the ability to choose stocks and different funds etf that my 401k didnt provide. Though didnt paid close attention to my choices and I already had everything I needed in the 401k with the vanguard institutional funds.

Spoke to fidelty cs and they said I can transfer ira funds into my 401k, will just need to ask for another check lol.

HSA is with fidelity as well. Thanks for the iShares etf I will look into them and they are commission free at fidelity. I believe all of BlackRock funds and ETF are commission free there.

So I already clean up my 401k and my wife's 401k just waiting for it to through on the sites. The relloaccation should been completed end of trading day today.